St Johnstone vs Hibernian, Saturday 22 April, 2023

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes. Would love Scottish football fans to group together and get VAR to f**k. We’ll have to suffer it for internationals and European competitions which is fair enough, but it’s spoiling the enjoyment of our domestic matches and brings very few positives.

It is not VAR.

It is the people operating it !

8 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

It is not VAR.

It is the people operating it !

^ this

I don’t understand or like the regular comment that VAR is rubbish. VAR isn’t a bad idea.

The people who control it and make the decisions are the same referees and other less experienced referees and they’re nearly all useless!

There is no hope of improvement while we have such bad referees on the pitch and in the VAR room. 

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

Not sure when they started sending folk off for winning the ball then colliding, accidentally or otherwise with the opposing player afterwards but it’s getting a bit daft now. 

I think every team has probably suffered it this season. We’ve had it with Mitchell away to St Mirren, Phillips at home to St Mirren and Clark away to Rangers.  There are probably others. None of these would have been red cards before and I think I’m right in saying none were shown red cards until after checking the freeze-frame VAR replay. Absolute shite. 

It must put players off making tackles which I think is what Lee Johnson is getting at when he says it affects how he would coach his players to play. This surely can’t be good for the game. 

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

13 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

^ this

I don’t understand or like the regular comment that VAR is rubbish. VAR isn’t a bad idea.

The people who control it and make the decisions are the same referees and other less experienced referees and they’re nearly all useless!

There is no hope of improvement while we have such bad referees on the pitch and in the VAR room. 

In what way has it enhanced the game of football?

38 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Not sure when they started sending folk off for winning the ball then colliding, accidentally or otherwise with the opposing player afterwards but it’s getting a bit daft now. 

I think every team has probably suffered it this season. We’ve had it with Mitchell away to St Mirren, Phillips at home to St Mirren and Clark away to Rangers.  There are probably others. None of these would have been red cards before and I think I’m right in saying none were shown red cards until after checking the freeze-frame VAR replay. Absolute shite. 

It must put players off making tackles which I think is what Lee Johnson is getting at when he says it affects how he would coach his players to play. This surely can’t be good for the game. 

Great post. But what happens is Hibs fans try and justify the red card for Murray Davidson on day one, Saints fans do the same today, Hibs will do it next time it happens to one of ours. On loop.

As a footballing public we should be making it clear that we aren't happy with these decisions that are influencing and ruining games.

But for as long as your team is benefiting, too many fans are happy to try and explain away poor decisions and let referees, VAR and the SFA off the hook.

1 hour ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

You seem to be better off losing 50/50s these days. Just pull out at the last second and youll get your opponent sent off.

So remarkably dangerous to encourage that behaviour as it will end with more injuries than two fully committed players going for it.

The red card was only the 3rd most baffling thing for me today. The first being what actually happened for the Hibs goal, as i didnt see the build up at all due to the banner going up. Just a roar, then seeing Stevenson about 30 yards about being hugged. Second is how our goal went in. As powderpuff a shot as possible and Marshall had his full body behind the ball.

What I don’t get is this rash of red cards for tackles like that today - but Ryan Jack’s absolutely deliberate bursting of Adam Montgomery was deemed only a yellow because the contact was on the ankle rather than three inches higher.

That’s an awful, awful red card. It’s a 50/50 and Jeggo wins it.

The red card makes it hard to know if the performance was much better today. 

In the 50 minutes that Hibs had their full quota, we certainly didn't look to be missing a centre back but when the pitch is so bad (and it really, really is) and you are understandably playing more direct, would a second striker have been an advantage to an extra midfielder? Maybe MacLean just doesn't rate Rudden or Bair?

Worried for a spell after the red as we looked lost but were certainly pressing in the final quarter, if not creating anything really clear cut.

There are bad habits in the team and a lack of confidence that might not disappear overnight so hard to know just how much MacLean could have achieved today.

Out situation is pretty perilous now (Davidson should have been sacked weeks ago) so a factor has to be the risk in going for a completely new broom. Certainly interesting that the impression given at focus meeting was that they would but I just wonder if that will have changed now.

2 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Like it or not, coming in from distance, at some pace, straight leg, studs up onto middle of shin with a downward trajectory is going to be a red all day long now a days 

Screenshot_20230422-184529~2.png

Can we stop using still images to get points across? The Game isn’t played in photos 

4 minutes ago, GreenGray said:

Can we stop using still images to get points across? The Game isn’t played in photos 

I'm in agreement. None of this stills or "the line in the grass..."

Live from my angle the red looked HORRENDOUS. Yet seeing it back it looked nothing like I thought it did!

5 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Of course they are.

Both are 50/50's, neither have malicious intent but opposition player is caught on the shin.

Neither should be a red.

Imagine posting this.

Terrible red card, possibly the worst one I’ve seen yet.