2023 Travel Plans

paul-r-cfc

Finally getting back into the swing of proper travelling this year after the last few years of everything being fucked. Had Peru cancelled twice due to Covid/STA going bust and when I was planning for Summer, the advice was very much to avoid Peru so I have looked elsewhere.

Doing a two week tour of Egypt and Jordan with G Adventures and arriving in Egypt a couple of days earlier to take in Alexandria which is not part of the itinerary. Getting home from Jordan was awkward so have managed to squeeze in two days in Beirut and one in Athens on the way back. Two cities I am keen to see but don't envisage heading to for a standalone trip so good chance to get to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Been experimenting with how far we can take the wee man and for how long. So far he's survived trips to Lossie and Fife, with one to Paris and Disneyland in December booked in. Will try something inbetween inbetween then and now. 

Booked up for 10 days in North Wales in July for a festival and meeting up with old friends, but realised I'm not sure if I like my old friends that much, so fitting in a couple of nights on the Isle of Man in the middle,

15 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Been experimenting with how far we can take the wee man and for how long. So far he's survived trips to Lossie and Fife, with one to Paris and Disneyland in December booked in. Will try something inbetween inbetween then and now. 

I'm guessing Disneyland is for you rather than the bairn as a one year old would probably find a trip to Lidl just as entertaining? You'd have to put him on stilts to get on any of the rides...

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm guessing Disneyland is for you rather than the bairn as a one year old would probably find a trip to Lidl just as entertaining? You'd have to put him on stilts to get on any of the rides...

It’s for the wife more than anything. The fact we’re taking a bairn means nothing, we went previously one new year, just the two of us. 

On 19/04/2023 at 11:34, paul-r-cfc said:

Finally getting back into the swing of proper travelling this year after the last few years of everything being fucked. Had Peru cancelled twice due to Covid/STA going bust and when I was planning for Summer, the advice was very much to avoid Peru so I have looked elsewhere.

Doing a two week tour of Egypt and Jordan with G Adventures and arriving in Egypt a couple of days earlier to take in Alexandria which is not part of the itinerary. Getting home from Jordan was awkward so have managed to squeeze in two days in Beirut and one in Athens on the way back. Two cities I am keen to see but don't envisage heading to for a standalone trip so good chance to get to them.

Beirut and Athens sound good.

As a former STA Travel employee, their demise was not so good.

Nothing booked up at the moment but I'll be in Hamburg sometime between September and November.  

Realised today I've got everything I actually need off work booked and still got loads of time left so I might f**k off somewhere for a couple days in July if I can make it affordable.  

On 11/05/2023 at 19:57, O_Kahn said:

Beirut and Athens sound good.

As a former STA Travel employee, their demise was not so good.

Yeah, the flights just worked out perfectly for me to get a decent bit of time in both on the way home. Really excited for Beirut in particular just for how different a stop off it is.

The only time that I have ever been gutted at the demise of a company was STA going under. Genuinely gutted. Two amazing trips booked through them, and it's a hole in the market that does not appear to have been adequately filled as yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Backpacked Japan in April May.

Looking to backpack Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania and Greece in September (depending on Kosovo border issues with Serbia).

Hoping to go to Milan fir game at San Siro before it finally goes.

Poland in December/Jan

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Away to Italy for a fortnight at the end of summer. Any restaurant/wine based/sightseeing recommendations for Cinque Terre, Florence and Bologna are very welcome. 

a day trip from Florence to Siena is worthwhile, lovely place.

On 07/06/2023 at 11:14, well fan for life said:

Away to Italy for a fortnight at the end of summer. Any restaurant/wine based/sightseeing recommendations for Cinque Terre, Florence and Bologna are very welcome. 

Agree with O-Kahn about Siena, San Gimignano is beautiful too.

We had a few days in Bologna last year and loved it.  Almost everything you want to see can be covered comfortably on foot.  Might be pretty warm so make use of the portici for shade!  Tourist information is really good and if you are there for a few days have a look at the Bologna pass which is good value.

We loved the grub at this place, booking in advance a must as it is very popular - Trattoria dal Biassanot – Cucina della Tradizione Bolognese  To be fair we didn't have a meal which wasn't very good.  Tortellini in brodo is a local speciality which is a must.  I would also recommend a bar called Osteria Del Sole.   It had a great atmosphere and if you are peckish you bring your own food.  There is a place called Mercato di Mezzo just round the corner which has a wide selection of take away food.  You can also eat in there.  

Slightly away from the centre is the Parco della Montagnola.  It's a nice place to cool down with an ice cream and/or a beer if it's hot and they sometimes have live music in the evenings (just at the weekend I think).

18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Malaga for a week in November.  Never been.  

The airport is right next to the motorway and runway is at a 90 degree angle from it so the planes come in right over your head (not quite Saint Martin/Princess Juliana Airport but it was cool for my 15 year old brain back in 2000 when I was there).

18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Malaga for a week in November.  Never been.  

It's a fair sized city, most of it not hooching with tourists, and you've got a fair chance of decent weather.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The airport is right next to the motorway and runway is at a 90 degree angle from it so the planes come in right over your head (not quite Saint Martin/Princess Juliana Airport but it was cool for my 15 year old brain back in 2000 when I was there).

Sold.