2023 Travel Plans

paul-r-cfc

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Out of the three I'd say Vilnius was by far the most pleasant to visit, it was a few years ago though.

Cheers mate.  Had a look and looks like 2 days in Kaunus, 2-3 in and around Vilnius and 2 in Riga with a stop-off or two along the way.

15 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Cheers mate.  Had a look and looks like 2 days in Kaunus, 2-3 in and around Vilnius and 2 in Riga with a stop-off or two along the way.

I'd give your thumb a rest in Vilnius and take the massive Soviet era train out to Trakai Castle where some people still speak Karaim, a mixture of Turkic and Yiddish/Hebrew. They are the few survivors of a people whose origin is disputed, some claim a lost tribe of Israel, others that they came from Byzantium or Crimea. Very touristy but it's an easy afternoon trip. Hopefully they haven't modernised the trains, I went in the middle of winter and it was something out of Doctor Zhivago.

Cheers, will have a look at this. 

Travelled overnight from Baku in Azerbaijan to Tiblisi in Georgia by train a few years ago.  It really was like stepping back in time to what the cold war must have felt like.

Trains were very dated and opened the door to find a Ukrainian couple sitting cutting up suasage with a knife that looked like a mini-sword whike tearing off bits of bread and dipping it into red wine (neither o us drink abd she is veggie).

The female staff looked like shot putters and border guards that came on the train wore soviet styled military hats and latex gloves. 

They sat on a bunk in one of the cabins and you were ordered in one at a time as they poured over your passports asking where you had been and every you were going details.  They took particularl interest in mine do to the amount of visas and stamps.

It was surreal.

I’m heading to the Amalfi Coast next week for 5 days and arranged a hire car. Anyone got any suggestions for sights to see as it’ll likely be too hot for me to sit about for any length of time. 

flight times have been kind so I’ll likely be able to spend a day in Naples, another day at Vesuvius and Pompeii, the rest are up for grabs. 

cheers muchly

On 25/07/2023 at 07:57, Hamish's Passenger said:

I’m heading to the Amalfi Coast next week for 5 days and arranged a hire car. Anyone got any suggestions for sights to see as it’ll likely be too hot for me to sit about for any length of time. 

flight times have been kind so I’ll likely be able to spend a day in Naples, another day at Vesuvius and Pompeii, the rest are up for grabs. 

cheers muchly

Have a look here..

• 3 weeks later...

Already been to Germany for 10 days in January this year. Spent it touring around the old East German cities as well as a night in Munich. 

Had planned on going to Nantes in France in June. But sadly our flights got cancelled, so went to Ireland for a few days instead. Nothing else really planned for the year except a weekend in London in September. 

For next year, I've already booked Portugal for 10 days. Flying into Porto and out of Lisbon 

On 19/07/2023 at 14:25, welshbairn said:

I'd give your thumb a rest in Vilnius and take the massive Soviet era train out to Trakai Castle where some people still speak Karaim, a mixture of Turkic and Yiddish/Hebrew. They are the few survivors of a people whose origin is disputed, some claim a lost tribe of Israel, others that they came from Byzantium or Crimea. Very touristy but it's an easy afternoon trip. Hopefully they haven't modernised the trains, I went in the middle of winter and it was something out of Doctor Zhivago.

Did the trip to Trakai.  Unfortunately had to do it by bus so was a bit gutted.  Turned out it was a national holiday so train sold out.  It was nice to spend a day out of the city so thanks for the tip.

Had a couple of train trips while there and was impressed.  Especially with the one to Siaulial for the Hill of Crosses.  From there went on to Riga.

Off on 2nd for a bit more travelling.  Fly to Sofia, then through North Macedonia, (possibly Kosovo) Albania (possibly Montenegro) then a ferry to Corfu for flight home.

I have a couple of days to use up by end of before October so looking at a weekend  trip to Copenhagen.  Been checking out hostels and rooms on airbnb.  Can get a cheap flight but once there it will not be that cheap.  See what happens.

20230817_120000.jpg

Edited by Sugar_Army

On 19/07/2023 at 14:25, welshbairn said:

On 26/08/2023 at 03:31, Sugar_Army said:

Did the trip to Trakai.  Unfortunately had to do it by bus so was a bit gutted.  Turned out it was a national holiday so train sold out.  It was nice to spend a day out of the city so thanks for the tip.

I have a couple of days to use up by end of before October so looking at a weekend  trip to Copenhagen.  Been checking out hostels and rooms on airbnb.  Can get a cheap flight but once there it will not be that cheap.  See what happens.

Just back from Vilnius and I can confirm that the trains are all modern. Double deckers like you find in Germany. Despite the thunderstorms Trakai was as picturesque as it looks

PXL_20230829_080226606.thumb.jpg.922526d2691ba86202754e14b86eec2a.jpg

There's a fair number of old railway cars and engines sitting at the station which might be your type @welshbairn

Vilnius was a wonderful city and massively exceeded my expectations. Although not as historic I fair enjoyed my day in Kaunas.

Spent a fair amount of time in a pub called rePUBlic No4. Anyone want to claim this...

PXL_20230826_153026704.thumb.jpg.79ce0d2af54a769fee8c00b9d0331aba.jpg

Seems we may be following each other @Sugar_Army. I'm off to Copenhagen at the end of September. Looks you left Vilnius as I arrived

6 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Just back from Vilnius and I can confirm that the trains are all modern. Double deckers like you find in Germany. Despite the thunderstorms Trakai was as picturesque as it looks

PXL_20230829_080226606.thumb.jpg.922526d2691ba86202754e14b86eec2a.jpg

There's a fair number of old railway cars and engines sitting at the station which might be your type @welshbairn

Vilnius was a wonderful city and massively exceeded my expectations. Although not as historic I fair enjoyed my day in Kaunas.

Spent a fair amount of time in a pub called rePUBlic No4. Anyone want to claim this...

PXL_20230826_153026704.thumb.jpg.79ce0d2af54a769fee8c00b9d0331aba.jpg

Seems we may be following each other @Sugar_Army. I'm off to Copenhagen at the end of September. Looks you left Vilnius as I arrived

Small world.  I have never knowingly met a fellow PnBr. I agree Vilnius was a step up on Kaunus.

Still not booked Copenhagen yet as looking at other options but have had a look at renting a room on Airbnb as opposed to a hostel.  Did that once in Stockholm and just having a few home comforts and local knowledge to hand worked a treat.

Just booked the first 3 nights in Sofia 30 mins ago (fly out 8am Saturday). Nothing else booked for rest of the trip. Trying out a 10kg rucksack for this trip so see how it goes (only took a small one that fits under seat for Lithuania and Latvia).  

Booked To fly to Poland for Christmas and New year last night. 

Landed in Sofia.  Went for a wee stroll down the pedestrianised area of old town/centre tonight.

Loads of bars, restaurants, outdoor eating, families wandering about.  Decided we would have an ice cream.  She asked me what I fancied.  Then I spotted this.

Decisions, decisions, decisions 🤣

20230902_211445.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Helsinkin in May for a birthday trip, went to Dublin in June to meet friends. Was away from the whole of August in Singapore, Malaysia, and Japan. Went to Malacca and Port Dickson in Malaysia and went to Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto in Japan. Got one more trip to Rome in November for the Champions League game and might try to squeeze another weekend break in if I can.

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow I’m flying from Krakow to Edinburgh, leaving at 8am. Tonight I’m leaving Lviv at 9pm, and scheduled to arrive at 6.20am at Krakow airport. However it’s a total lottery how much time I’ll be stuck at the border, and I’ve got about £20 to my name. Wish me luck :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...