2023 Travel Plans

paul-r-cfc

We've never been to Luxembourg so taking the train there next month for a few nights. We've discovered that all travel within the border of Luxembourg is totally free so looking forward to utilising that. Then we're moving on to a few nights in Strasbourg and then finishing off with two days in Paris. First time we've been abroad since before Covid.

On 13/06/2023 at 21:18, Savage Henry said:

Malaga for a week in November.  Never been.  

Malaga is a great city. As others have pointed out it's not overly touristy but is filled with great places to visit, or is decent for just chilling as well. Good train and bus connections around the place to other local towns / resorts if you're stuck for things to do on any days.

20 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Malaga is a great city. As others have pointed out it's not overly touristy but is filled with great places to visit, or is decent for just chilling as well. Good train and bus connections around the place to other local towns / resorts if you're stuck for things to do on any days.

Cool.  This is pretty much precisely what Savage Henrietta and I want; very relaxed downtown day things and equally chilled evenings. 

On 29/06/2023 at 18:55, Savage Henry said:

Cool.  This is pretty much precisely what Savage Henrietta and I want; very relaxed downtown day things and equally chilled evenings. 

Malaga will be perfect then. The alcazaba and castle are a really nice way to spend an afternoon and have stunning views of the city.  Really accessible city with a great blend of things to do/places for chilling.

On 05/07/2023 at 10:55, michakamp said:

We are planning to go to Greece in August and can't decide between Crete and Corfu. 2 families with the kids. Would appreciate some advices.

Think I'd edge towards Corfu, the weather will be much the same in August (hot) but you have the option of short ferry adventures to Albania or the Greek mainland with some sea breezes to cool you down.

( I've been to other Greek islands but neither of them, going to Crete in November.)

Edited by welshbairn

On 07/06/2023 at 11:14, well fan for life said:

Away to Italy for a fortnight at the end of summer. Any restaurant/wine based/sightseeing recommendations for Cinque Terre, Florence and Bologna are very welcome. 

For bologna you can't go wrong. Best food I've had anywhere in Italy, go to the basilica at night, there are some really nice bars there after dinner, and I would recommend a day trip out to wherever you fancy.

I'll try dig out the name of the side street we ate in a few nights, did their traditional dishes at good prices.

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Think I'd edge towards Corfu, the weather will be much the same in August (hot) but you have the option of short ferry adventures to Albania or the Greek mainland with some sea breezes to cool you down.

( I've been to other Greek islands but neither of them, going to Crete in November.)

I'm booked up for a few days in Tirana in November.

How quick/easy is the ferry to Corfu? Is it doable for a day trip?

4 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've just googled it. It's about 5 or 6 hours each way taking the bus and the ferry into account. Too long for a day trip.

Yeah, the hydrofoil's only 30 minutes from Saranda in the south though.

Went to NYC for our anniversary in February. 

Going up the Highlands for the family holiday this year. First night Fort William, second is just outside Ullapool, third is a glamping pod in Achmelvic and the next 3 nights we're based at a ParkDean resort near Brora. Reckon we'll do John O'Groats one day and decide nearer the time what to do the other two days. 

Had planned on going from Achmelvic up along the North coast but trying to find available accomodation or one that wasn't absolutely extortionate was impossible. 

Flying out Saturday for 14 days in Alanya, Türkiye as its now known.

First proper 2 week holiday since 1994, though I did live in Tenerife for 15 years which countered that a bit.

On 11/07/2023 at 17:28, 19QOS19 said:

Went to NYC for our anniversary in February. 

Going up the Highlands for the family holiday this year. First night Fort William, second is just outside Ullapool, third is a glamping pod in Achmelvic and the next 3 nights we're based at a ParkDean resort near Brora. Reckon we'll do John O'Groats one day and decide nearer the time what to do the other two days. 

Had planned on going from Achmelvic up along the North coast but trying to find available accomodation or one that wasn't absolutely extortionate was impossible. 

I'm assuming Grannies at Embo?

Capaldi's ice cream.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's the one. Hopefully a decent enough base for a few days. 

You could go along achmelvich, Durness, John o groats that's probably couple hours then down to Embo.

The Pier in Lairg does great food.

Edited by RH33

On 13/07/2023 at 12:10, eindhovendee said:

Flying out Saturday for 14 days in Alanya, Türkiye as its now known.

First proper 2 week holiday since 1994, though I did live in Tenerife for 15 years which countered that a bit.

Have a good time. Let us know what you thought of it.

21 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Jus booked last night for a week backpacking.  Fly to Kaunas in Lithuania.  Unsure if going to head north to Riga for flight home or east to Vilnius then north to Riga.

Out of the three I'd say Vilnius was by far the most pleasant to visit, it was a few years ago though.