UK emergency alert system test

I can see why this would be sensible in certain locations, like the US tornado alerts.

In the UK? Pretty pointless really - when was the last time a national-level alert would have been useful? Anything important is on 24/7 rolling news and social media instantly.

More unnecessary government meddling in our lives, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I can see why this would be sensible in certain locations, like the US tornado alerts.

In the UK? Pretty pointless really - when was the last time a national-level alert would have been useful? Anything important is on 24/7 rolling news and social media instantly.

It’s amusing, but in the U.S. the tornado and amber alerts and such are all mutable…the most recently rolled out Presidential Alert System is NOT mutable. Here in Texas, we get the severe weather alert sirens tested on the first Wednesday of every month (unless there is weather in the area) at 1PM.

59 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I don't think it is restricted to national alerts in practice, though. It can (and likely only ever would) be used locally.

Have we ever had a life threatening emergency in the UK that an emergency text would've helped anyone avoid? By the time people are alerted to an emergency isn't it probably already over?

My work have recently started sending out H&S alerts, usually for weather, oh no take care there's a met office yellow warning for wind, why bother?

Predictably they've sent us an alert to let us know there will be a test of the Government's emergency alert system this weekend. 

Even at a more local level I struggle to see any need for this.

I can see it being used for nonsense like alerting us to the king's coronation  

At the risk of approaching tinfoil territory, you might suggest they're rolling it out in expectation that the shit may be hitting the fan in the foreseeable future, whether it be another pandemic, terrorism etc. Even then, absolutely everyone was immediately aware of the situation with lockdowns etc before.

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

At the risk of approaching tinfoil territory, you might suggest they're rolling it out in expectation that the shit may be hitting the fan in the foreseeable future, whether it be another pandemic, terrorism etc. Even then, absolutely everyone was immediately aware of the situation with lockdowns etc before.

How long until we are alerted to a National Emergency due to an invasion across the Channel that only the Tories will deal with!!!

54 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It could be handy for things like floods or chemical plant leaks etc, places like Grangemouth probably have plans in place that would be helped by it.

_110945856_2.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

So I'm expected to believe on my phone where I have access to various news services, BBC, Sky etc, and also FB, Twitter and access to innumerable search engines and sites to let me know what is going on, the speedy service of HMG will beat them all to keep me up to date,

and you could start an argument about trust and reliability but without going tinfoil I don't really trust any of the fuckers greatly.

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Why did you turn it off?

Cause I really don’t give a f**k if a nuke is about to drop on us. Whole planet needs a big reboot, and I’m not particularly keen on life at the moment, is the honest answer.

Innocuous answer is why not turn it off?