Relegation from Lowland league

Lord Elron 44

2 hours ago, stanley said:

Leaving aside the usual debate on here about relegation from the SPFL and more automatic relegation places in the Lowland League, I think there should at least be a system in place for automatic relegation for the bottom placed Lowland League side. If Elgin/Forfar were to go down and the LL champion was to go up then they could simply still relegate the bottom LL side but allow two sides up from tier 6 instead. I think that would be a pretty sensible option and wouldn't involve any increase to two automatic relegation spots. It just seems crazy that you have two sides consistently struggling at the bottom of the table each season yet they could be saved by what happens with promotion/relegation between the SPFL and League Two rather than on merit.

Well said & clearly a sensible solution.

4 hours ago, stanley said:

Leaving aside the usual debate on here about relegation from the SPFL and more automatic relegation places in the Lowland League, I think there should at least be a system in place for automatic relegation for the bottom placed Lowland League side. If Elgin/Forfar were to go down and the LL champion was to go up then they could simply still relegate the bottom LL side but allow two sides up from tier 6 instead. I think that would be a pretty sensible option and wouldn't involve any increase to two automatic relegation spots. It just seems crazy that you have two sides consistently struggling at the bottom of the table each season yet they could be saved by what happens with promotion/relegation between the SPFL and League Two rather than on merit.

Regular reminder that prior to 2019-20 the rules were that the bottom team always went down, with their place being filled by application. Anything else is better than what we have now with the possibility of a bad team remaining in the league.

Edited by Ginaro

Agree bottom should always go down.  That is the moral high ground the LL has consistently used against the Team 42 , so goose and gander applies. The rules might be tricky to frame , but the principle stands.

Good news for those of us wanting relegation from the Lowland League, Clyde dropped to the bottom of League 2 after Elgin's win. They play each other up north in a few weeks, big game for Clyde and could come off the back of a Scottish Cup exit to Jeanfield...

• 5 months later...

Highland League area teams in League 2 are 5 and 7 points ahead of club 42 with 3 games remaining - so unless that gap is overcome then 18th will be going down with 17th having to wait until the outcome of the pyramid and League 2 play-offs.

Going to be a massive game at Raydale Park on Saturday between Gretna and Edinburgh Uni.

On 14/04/2024 at 18:56, Burnieman said:

Tempted to make a first visit to Raydale on Saturday for my football fix.

I've already ordered tickets online for this - can't wait!  Will also have one eye on the Highland League battle whilst down there.

On 14/04/2024 at 18:56, Burnieman said:

Tempted to make a first visit to Raydale on Saturday for my football fix.

Half tempted as well tbh, braves vs Cowdenbeath is pretty meaningless but having played both Gretna and Edinburgh recently it could be a close match so giving it serious consideration

Still balanced on a knife edge it seems, 1-1 at Raydale with EUAFC equalising 2 mins after Gretna's opener. Would barely be good enough for the home side but they won't want to leave it to chance.

Regarding relegation from the Lowland this season

So Buckie play East Kilbride in the Highland/Lowland play off and the winners play Clyde to see who goes to SPFL2 or highland or Lowland leagues.

Am I correct in thinking that if Buckie defeat East Kilbride and then go onto defeat Clyde this will means that both East Kilbride and Clyde will be in the Lowland League 24/25 season but as it means an extra team is joining the Lowland, this will mean that Gretna as the second bottom team will also be relegated along with Edinburgh Uni.   Is this correct?

4 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

So Buckie play East Kilbride in the Highland/Lowland play off and the winners play Clyde to see who goes to SPFL2 or highland or Lowland leagues.

Am I correct in thinking that if Buckie defeat East Kilbride and then go onto defeat Clyde this will means that both East Kilbride and Clyde will be in the Lowland League 24/25 season but as it means an extra team is joining the Lowland, this will mean that Gretna as the second bottom team will also be relegated along with Edinburgh Uni.   Is this correct?

Yes you are correct.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Are you aware there are still 2 fixtures left in SPFL2?

Edited by Cowdenleith

2 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Are you aware there are still 2 fixtures left in SPFL2?

Yes but if its not Clyde, it can only be Bonnyrigg Rose or Stranraer so both would be in the same position as Clyde if they finish bottom, ending up in the Lowland

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

15 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I wonder if Uni can buck the trend of going straight though the EoS Premier like a Saturday night Madras.

They only lost 2-3 to Dunbar in the Scottish Cup (though also lost to Harthill in July) so they've probably got a decent chance, with less travel, fewer games and a slightly later season start to help them as well.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

They only lost 2-3 to Dunbar in the Scottish Cup (though also lost to Harthill in July) so they've probably got a decent chance, with less travel, fewer games and a slightly later season start to help them as well.

Edinburgh University always has problems with player turnover. The  player pool for next season will not be known until September but it is cyclical. The last two years have been tough for the Uni so perhaps we can expect better next year. Survival in the EoS should be a realistic target. 

On 20/04/2024 at 22:10, Bestsinceslicebread said:

The true answer was of course.........Naw