Relegation from Lowland league

Lord Elron 44

Excluding the Covid hit season when they only played 11 games, every team that's finished below Gretna in the past 5 seasons has now gone. You have to go back to 2017-18 for the last season they finished above clubs that are still in the league. Ten seasons ago they finished third, behind Edinburgh City (who went up that year) and East Kilbride.

If Gretna do go down and are replaced by a strong club, even with one spot relegation becomes a realistic threat for a lot of clubs, including the ex-SPFL. As it should be.

East Stirling will still be playing in the Challenge Cup when they're in the East of Scotland First Division 😉

Two clubs could go down this season, if the Highland League club gets promoted and a Lowland Area SPFL2 side go down. Even if Gretna does have another poor season (not certain, they have made changes), the other teams must fight to avoid finishing second from bottom. 

9 hours ago, lowenan said:

Two clubs could go down this season, if the Highland League club gets promoted and a Lowland Area SPFL2 side go down. Even if Gretna does have another poor season (not certain, they have made changes), the other teams must fight to avoid finishing second from bottom. 

Sure, and if the LL winner goes up and Forfar, Elgin or Peterhead go down to the HL, nobody will be relegated from the LL at all.

In the 8 seasons since relegation from the LL began, these are the records of the clubs that went down:

Edinburgh Uni 9 points, -92

Dalbeattie Star 8 points, -117

Vale of Leithen 5 points, -156

Covid - nobody relegated

Covid - nobody relegated

Whitehill Welfare 12 points, -46 (Selkirk would have been relegated too as a HL club went up and Berwick Rangers came down, but folded anyway)

Hawick Royal Albert 6 points, -90

Preston Athletic 16 points, -61

Edinburgh City have to be odds-on to be the bottom club and if they are, the LL/HL winners will fancy their chances.

I'll take a punt and say at least one club will go down from the LL this season.

What a pathetic and unpleasant thread. Not a ball kicked and folk speculating  / salivating over which team/s might go down.

Yes it's part of the game( unless you are in L2 of SPFL, but that's a story for a onother day)

Be very careful what you wish for, or wish for others, some colossal Clubs been relegated over the years, no one exempt,  ask Santos in Brazil. 

Before you even get started , including East Kilbride,  no one is  exempt. Yes we are well backed, but football  is a whole lot more complicated than that, we have some previous on that. 

How about some focus on who might win the league, I will unsurprisingly go for EK, in a much tighter race and if we secure a 30/ 40 goals a season striker at last go up.

Yes and I understand that, just makes me sad when  people put time and energy into massive negative issues.  Half full half empty,  seen enough on the downside, was at Hungary game , biggest example of negative thinking I have had the misfortune to witness. 

Pele coined the phrase * Beautiful Game" good enough for me.

27 minutes ago, ekok said:

Yes and I understand that, just makes me sad when  people put time and energy into massive negative issues.  Half full half empty,  seen enough on the downside, was at Hungary game , biggest example of negative thinking I have had the misfortune to witness. 

Pele coined the phrase * Beautiful Game" good enough for me.

I don’t think he coined it. Try Stuart Hall, the late sex offender.

2 hours ago, ekok said:

Before you even get started , including East Kilbride,  no one is  exempt. Yes we are well backed, but football  is a whole lot more complicated than that, we have some previous on that.

Indeed you are correct Man City are only 14/1 to be relegated from the English Premiership and they've spent as much as East Kilbride over the past couple seasons. 

Be careful what you wish for wi yer "pathetic and unpleasant" comments.   :P

2 hours ago, ekok said:

What a pathetic and unpleasant thread. Not a ball kicked and folk speculating  / salivating over which team/s might go down.

Yes it's part of the game( unless you are in L2 of SPFL, but that's a story for a onother day)

Be very careful what you wish for, or wish for others, some colossal Clubs been relegated over the years, no one exempt,  ask Santos in Brazil. 

How about some focus on who might win the league, I will unsurprisingly go for EK, in a much tighter race and if we secure a 30/ 40 goals a season striker at last go up.

It's a Lowland League forum, people are discussing relegation possibiliites (just as they discuss promotion). Struggling to see how that is even remotely "pathetic & unpleasant"?

More negatively just reinforces my point. I have absolutely no place and no problem what people want to discuss, not in any way trying  to challenge that. Everyone has that inviolate right. 

My take is when we are all looking forward to probably the most competitive and exciting Lowland League ever, we have a thread dedicated to failure. 

Not for me.

6 minutes ago, ekok said:

More negatively just reinforces my point. I have absolutely no place and no problem what people want to discuss, not in any way trying  to challenge that. Everyone has that inviolate right. 

My take is when we are all looking forward to probably the most competitive and exciting Lowland League ever, we have a thread dedicated to failure. 

Not for me.

Jog on then

3 hours ago, ekok said:

Heids Gone thread for this birthday card pish. "Pathetic and unpleasant." You've lost the run of yourself there. 

Every promotion requires a relegation, it's the circle of football and it's all healthy stuff. Talking about who might go down is as much part of football as talking about who might go up. It's just moving down a tier in a football pyramid for a year, it's not the sword of Damocles. 

There is literally zero justification for suggesting that anyone is "salivating" over who might go down. Nobody is wishing it on anyone and the goodwill on this site towards teams who have struggled, like Vale of Leithen, is very strong.

And I don't recall you sanctimoniously admonishing folk on all the many "who's next to go?" threads.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's just moving down a tier in a football pyramid for a year, it's not the sword of Damocles. 

Ah,...indeed,...Over here (and down a wee bit) in the WoSL we just call it the Knife of Stanley.

I fear that your EKOK chap and the Edinabear chap might well be cut from the same windy-uppy material.

What was Gretnas average league attendance last season? Do they have supporters from the old club following them?  I know they play at Raydale, home of the former club 

3 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

What was Gretnas average league attendance last season? Do they have supporters from the old club following them?  I know they play at Raydale, home of the former club 

Previous years with complete head counts: 161, 174

Certainly not amongst the worst in attendance. In the last before Gretna joined the SFL they had an average of 97. Twenty years of difference they've probably still got some supporters from the old club.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ee35fa7bdf073a6ea157bc20702f834.jpeg

45 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Previous years with complete head counts: 161, 174

Certainly not amongst the worst in attendance. In the last before Gretna joined the SFL they had an average of 97. Twenty years of difference they've probably still got some supporters from the old club.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ee35fa7bdf073a6ea157bc20702f834.jpeg

Some impressive numbers in there. The most surprising must be Bo’ness. Thought they would be at least in the 300’s.