SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

43 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

Can you please clarify what measures  you are basing this statememt on, also is that view purely contemporary  or are you looking the overall history of both clubs?

Well in crowd terms this season Linlithgow averaged over 500 in EOS Premier (last figure I saw 508... before their last 3 games including title win and trophy day).

Albion Rovers averaged 329 in SPFL2. Spartans incidentally averaged 313 in LL.

Evidence and past experience would strongly suggest Albion Rovers will be the worst-supported of the 3 next season.

1 hour ago, Blue Oktober said:

Can you please clarify what measures  you are basing this statememt on, also is that view purely contemporary  or are you looking the overall history of both clubs?

Size of support,finance etc etc.....

7 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Berwick Rangers, Cowdenbeath and East Stirlingshire have all found it tough in the lowland league.  No reason to think Albion Rovers will be any different.  

Agreed and without being ITK about the situation behind the scenes, there's no obvious 'get a backer to show ambishun' route for them to get back. Brechin have had it relatively easy adjusting to the HL - whereas the southern half of the pyramid is in some ways more viciously cut-throat beneath the national 4th tier right now.  

That said, Albion Rovers also had the best opportunity to preserve their way to national league status yet - definitely better than when Montrose fended off Brora or when Cowdenbeath stopped EK. To drop out after taking a creditable draw in the away leg is hugely disappointing for them, but they couldn't have asked for a better chance to decide their own fate. 

8 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Why do posters lump together "the University sides" ?

University of Stirling were 4th behind Spartans and the Old Firm B teams and will challenge for the title next season.

Edinburgh University finished 18th and will be favourite to go down.

Because, as much as UoS have performed extremely well on the pitch this season, it's utterly tinpot to be in the same league as University teams. It's only marginally better than being in a league with a local high school side,  the BBs five aside team, and the local walking football group.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Because, as much as UoS have performed extremely well on the pitch this season, it's utterly tinpot to be in the same league as University teams. It's only marginally better than being in a league a local high school side,  the BBs five aside team, and the local walking football group.

True EF but.......the Uni sides applied to join the LL before any of the big East junior sides got there where they are now thru promotion. 

So it is what it is just now,thru time they'll be relegated. 

Edinburgh Uni will be away this time next season. 

36 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Size of support,finance etc etc.....

So in essence you are judging on acurrent contemporary basis  rather than club history and achievements  overall .So that fo the clarity. Size of support assume you are basing on attendances rather than overall support i.e. excluding distant fans who cannot physically regullarly attend matces but may support  in other means i.e march, lottery, sponsorship,donations and such like?

When we youch on that matter of finance I am somehat blind on that but do you have insight that confirms that one has greater resources that the other bearing in mind finances are not merely abour trading revenue bit also other activities, reservs and balance sheet net value?

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well in crowd terms this season Linlithgow averaged over 500 in EOS Premier (last figure I saw 508... before their last 3 games including title win and trophy day).

Albion Rovers averaged 329 in SPFL2. Spartans incidentally averaged 313 in LL.

Evidence and past experience would strongly suggest Albion Rovers will be the worst-supported of the 3 next season.

Thanks for that however my question was more far reaching ub terms of definition rationale and measurement criteria part of which you address from a current day perspective.

2 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

So in essence you are judging on acurrent contemporary basis  rather than club history and achievements  overall .So that fo the clarity. Size of support assume you are basing on attendances rather than overall support i.e. excluding distant fans who cannot physically regullarly attend matces but may support  in other means i.e march, lottery, sponsorship,donations and such like?

When we youch on that matter of finance I am somehat blind on that but do you have insight that confirms that one has greater resources that the other bearing in mind finances are not merely abour trading revenue bit also other activities, reservs and balance sheet net value?

Linlithgow Rose blow Albion Rovers out the water,in every way .

4 junior cups,trophies left right an centre plus a support and financial backing that is far beyond Albion Rovers........

Get yourself to Prestonfield next season and you'll know what I mean,particularly if they're playing against local rivals Bo'ness United. 

Same goes for Talbot,Bankies, Darvel etc etc ,the clock is now ticking on the likes of Elgin and more.

1 minute ago, Dav nan Gael said:

4 junior cups,trophies left right an centre plus a support and financial backing that is far beyond Albion Rovers........

Get yourself to Prestonfield next season and you'll know what I mean,particularly if they're playing against local rivals Bo'ness United. 

Same goes for Talbot,Bankies, Darvel etc etc ,the clock is now ticking on the likes of Elgin and more.

Actually pretty harsh to lump Elgin in, they finished 3rd two years in a row just 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, ScottishLoon said:

Actually pretty harsh to lump Elgin in, they finished 3rd two years in a row just 2 years ago.

They'll be playing Deveronvale soon enough and losing in Banff as well..........

12 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Darvel? They're a village team being proped up with outside cash. They won't be displacing any current SPFL clubs in the long term. They'll sink when the money runs out.

17 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

To be fair Albion Rovers have a decent history including winning a tier 2 title and Scottish Cup runners up.

Would Linlithgow beat them, it's very possible.

The Rose are in a good position, decent support, own our own ground, young squad, lots of potential.

Before Herd came in as a manger we'd been crap for several years. Football can change so quickly, bad recruitment, poor choices as manager etc.

Hopefully Linlithgow can do themselves proud in the Lowland League.

18 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

A very sweeping statement to suggest "Linlithgow Rose blow Albion Rovers out the water,in every way " and then by way of validatiom to cite their Junior achiements and thisn disregaring Rovers Senior achievements including league titlesand Scottich  Cup runners up.

Fair to say also in the absence of corrobarating evidenve your comments regards finacial health of the two is at best speculative and non informed guess work.

8 minutes ago, Marooneye said:

To be fair Albion Rovers have a decent history including winning a tier 2 title and Scottish Cup runners up.

Would Linlithgow beat them, it's very possible.

The Rose are in a good position, decent support, own our own ground, young squad, lots of potential.

Before Herd came in as a manger we'd been crap for several years. Football can change so quickly, bad recruitment, poor choices as manager etc.

Hopefully Linlithgow can do themselves proud in the Lowland League.

Thanlkyou a balanced logical view LR a club I respect and with potential to do well.