National Conference League

edinabear

On 30/04/2023 at 06:33, GallowayBlue said:

Will it be all licensed clubs that will vote?

As far as I'm aware, all teams in the SPFL where asked about the 3 options and they voted on the conference league.  The SFA then went to Lowland and Highland leagues and told them that there is no 3 options for them they must take the Conference.  it is only the voting for all SPFL teams and Lowland and Highland.  No other club outwith these leagues can vote on the conference.

p.s. if the conference comes in, it will come under the jurisdiction of SPFL so the years after Lowland and Highland CANNOT vote on how the Conference works

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Imagine being relegated after the 1st Conference season. Returning to Talbot, Pollok, Clydebank, Sauchie, Musselburgh, Jeanfield plus anyone left behind with 3 relegation spots.

That type of league with 16 teams would be a lot more attractive to me than the 10 team Conference League that's proposed 

I know I'm a dreamer, but there is now a trickle of clubs coming out against this sham. And fans groups of others vehemently opposing it's creation.

If it gets voted down can LLland have an emergency meeting and tell the weans tae dae wan. Gets my vote.

4 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

As far as I'm aware, all teams in the SPFL where asked about the 3 options and they voted on the conference league.  The SFA then went to Lowland and Highland leagues and told them that there is no 3 options for them they must take the Conference.  it is only the voting for all SPFL teams and Lowland and Highland.  No other club outwith these leagues can vote on the conference.

p.s. if the conference comes in, it will come under the jurisdiction of SPFL so the years after Lowland and Highland CANNOT vote on how the Conference works

I don't think any club's voted on it yet. A few clubs below tier 5 who were licenced a while ago get to vote as well as the SPFL, HL and LL clubs at the SFA AGM.

Wouldn't it be much easier to agree on an SPFL league 3 12 teams if conference league likely to go ahead.

400k from B teams could fund the prize money for the league. Bottom of SPFL 3 for first season could still have second chance trapdoor prevention by playing winner of LL and HL playoff. Also allow clubs in SPFL league 3 into league cup for opportunity for more funds for clubs.

Then in future seasons open up pyramid further into an SPFL 3 maybe top 4 of LL and top 4 of HL going into a tournament for 3 places into the SPFL league 3 and bottom of SPFL league 3 automatic relegation and winner of either LL or HL automatic promotion. Would make the Scottish Pyramid more fluid and a greater opportunity for SPFL club's that are relegated more opportunity to get back and more opportunities for other clubs within the pyramid. It would also make LL and HL much more attractive and something to play for.

Totally disagree how a new league can be shoehorned in above existing tiers. If it was an SPFL league I would agree as it would be seen as an extension to SPFL.

Edited by Cowden316

58 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I know I'm a dreamer, but there is now a trickle of clubs coming out against this sham. And fans groups of others vehemently opposing it's creation.

If it gets voted down can LLland have an emergency meeting and tell the weans tae dae wan. Gets my vote.

Linlithgow Rose who will be in the LL next season (99% sure) are in opposition against the Conference.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/rose-could-go-straight-up-to-the-lowland-league-while-club-president-claims-sfa-plans-for-a-new-conference-league-are-not-good-for-scottish-football-4125330

19 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Wouldn't it be much easier to agree on an SPFL league 3 12 teams if conference league likely to go ahead.

400k from B teams could fund the prize money for the league. Bottom of SPFL 3 for first season could still have second chance trapdoor prevention by playing winner of LL and HL playoff. Also allow clubs in SPFL league 3 into league cup for opportunity for more funds for clubs.

Then in future seasons open up pyramid further into an SPFL 3 maybe top 4 of LL and top 4 of HL going into a tournament for 3 places into the SPFL league 3 and bottom of SPFL league 3 automatic relegation and winner of either LL or HL automatic promotion. Would make the Scottish Pyramid more fluid and a greater opportunity for SPFL club's that are relegated more opportunity to get back and more opportunities for other clubs within the pyramid. It would also make LL and HL much more attractive and something to play for.

Totally disagree how a new league can be shoehorned in above existing tiers. If it was an SPFL league I would agree as it would be seen as an extension to SPFL.

It is all but L3 under a different name.

P&B posts show that the B teams got into and have stayed in the Lowland League on the back of lump sum payments to the League. With the proposed Conference getting 100k each from four B teams that means no more funding of the Lowland League from the B teams.

If the B teams subsequently get into the SPFL proper then that 400k funding of the Conference would go too. What would the other clubs do then with the funding gone and the expense of nationwide football to deal with? ........... maybe abandon the Conference and try to go back to the LL/HL?

26 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

That's probably what they hope to happen longer term.

Problem is B teams confirmed part of the SPFL would put voters off.

Instead of 4 specific clubs paying in an entry fee for 5 years. It would need an amendment to the SPFL financial distribution model.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

P&B posts show that the B teams got into and have stayed in the Lowland League on the back of lump sum payments to the League. With the proposed Conference getting 100k each from four B teams that means no more funding of the Lowland League from the B teams.

I think the Lowland League will get given the choice of changing their rules to permanently accepting B-teams for increased fees, or dumped below the conference with no fees at all.

The idea of a conference would probably be not bad if there was no b teams and it opened up an extra promotion spot or some other carrot.

The b team shouldnt be anywhere near all this.

Brutal from the corrupt powers in Scottish football

Rangers and Celtic need to answer to this.

6 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

The tier 6 leagues were also asked to canvass their members on the three options (with very meagre detail).  The EoS did so, and the overwhelming response was basically "none of the above", which didn't go down too well with the SFA as they said that wasn't an option 🤣

1 hour ago, Cowden316 said:

Nay, nay and thrice nay.

If we must have b teams, reserve, 2nd 11's or whatever. They join at the bottom. This utter crap that they must be put in at a level that will improve their development is a total red herring. 

I could go on and on. But to put it as few words as possible. All that the authorities tell you about development is a lie. We have had over a decade of pro youths. It destroys more young players than it has ever developed. The authorities in this country have no idea how to nurture and develop talent. I speak as a youth coach from pee-wee to under 21's. 

Lowland and Highland clubs have to stick together and refuse to join.

The b teams can all play each other.

This is a ridiculous situation ruining what has been one of the best things to happen to Scottish football in 1 opening the league to the pyramid and 2 Getting all the junior clubs to join.

You couldn't make this up

Edited by Sparticus

The HIghland League didn't admit the B teams, it was a daft decision by the (relatively young) Lowland League. Why then, should the HL be asked to give up its current Tier 5 status for this b*****dised new setup? 

HL clubs really need to dig their heels in, insist that they remain at Tier 5 and demand at the very least a play-off with "Club 42" if not automatic promotion. They've been dragged into a fight caused by dickheads two streets down........ they can 'go to war' as somebody else suggested from a fairly decent moral position.  

[Disclaimer: I have no dog in the fight - yet.  My dog would probably be a cuddly dribbler anyway, not a fighter]

Edited by IncomingExile

I think it unlikely that any HL club would want anything to do with a conference as described, and with Aberdeen looking increasingly unlikely participants too, any pretence at a new national tier would be pretty well dead in the water. If it amounts to anything it will be a rejigged Lowland League, maybe split into 2, leaving the HL still at tier 5.

(He says confidently.. 😜

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I think it unlikely that any HL club would want anything to do with a conference as described, and with Aberdeen looking increasingly unlikely participants too, any pretence at a new national tier would be pretty well dead in the water. If it amounts to anything it will be a rejigged Lowland League, maybe split into 2, leaving the HL still at tier 5.

(He says confidently.. 😜

Oh please God no.

TJ and his cronies have a lot to answer for. Keeping the Joonyurs out the pyramid meant that the Lowland League was populated by clubs run by people with little or no experience and, I hate myself for saying this, no established fan base to answer to, who have shown they can be easily bought/manipulated.

Their attitude to opening up to the Tier 6's suggests they felt they would never have a fully functioning pyramid below.

Felt it would improve with SPFL teams bring relegated; wrong. Hurry up Lithgae and all the rest you are needed to save the pyramid.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

(He says confidently.. 😜

Wish I shared your confidence re noone cooperating.if the LL fiasco has taught anything it's that there's plenty snakes out there

14 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

Wish I shared your confidence re noone cooperating.if the LL fiasco has taught anything it's that there's plenty snakes out there

A year playing youth squads and LL clubs 150 miles away for the remote chance of a playoff to get to L2 doesn't sound very tempting to me. The top HL sides have pretty good local sponsorship. anyway. 

47 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

The HIghland League didn't admit the B teams, it was a daft decision by the (relatively young) Lowland League. Why then, should the HL be asked to give up its current Tier 5 status for this 

The HL has played a blinder for their clubs, which represent a very small percentage of football in Scotland.  Not a criticism,  just a fact. The sheer number and  quality of feeder Leagues and Clubs in Lowland catchment area needs to be recognised.  Again not a criticism,  just a fact.

Firstly there  were no B teams applying to join the HL, so actually not even in the discussion. 

Secondly an absolute selling of the jerseys around promotion/ relegation by duplicating the scandalous Team 42 " reward failure,  second chance " crap in SPFL League 2. From a League with such a long and distinguished history,  shameful. 

The Pyramid is evolving and at some point the two elephants in the room will need to be addressed.  South of Scotland at Tier 6 and Highland having equal rights at Tier 5. 

The Conference is the least of your worries.