The Mo v The Wasps

Congrats Alloa!! You must be delighted to have made the play offs. 4-0 away at Montrose is some going. The play offs are crazy so you's definitely have just as much of a chance as us, Falkirk/Hamilton/Cove etc. You'll also have the luxury of resting players for the final game depending on whether you'd rather finish 3rd/4th.

32 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Expected it to be more cagey today but that was a great way to secure our playoff place. 

As said, Montrose definitely let a sizeable support down today, being very poor in the first half in particular. In saying that, I thought we looked absolutely up for the task today - even in the warm up there seemed to be a zip to things. 

Strong performances all over the pitch and given Chipper’s anger with the defending last week, he must be delighted with how the back line performed today. Wee special mention to David Devine - came in out the cold and I thought he had an excellent 45 minutes. 

The two up top put in a good shift today and delighted for Sammon getting his goals, but I thought our midfield were the real standouts. The Tiny Trio were like terriers in there today. I thought Murray Miller’s cracking goal was the icing on the cake of a very strong individual performance from him and he was the best player on the park for me. 

Nice feeling knowing we are not relying on needing anything next week, hopefully it gives us an extra couple of days to try and get some of the injured players back in time for the playoffs. 

Agree with this. Probably Miller's best game in an Alloa shirt, took on a leader's role in midfield. Also, amazing how good wee Kev can be when played in his best position, i.e. linking play and attacking through the middle, who'd have thought it?🤔

No failures in the starting eleven plus Durnan, defence was solid and determined, Doyley was excellent as he has been and both Sammon and McIver had good games. Strachan did well too and I hope he's OK otherwise we might not have a left back available for the playoffs. Clearly we need a few of those injured fit for then to have a genuine chance.

I'm just about to open a nice bottle of Rioja and toast Brian Rice, his staff and the players for getting us into a playoff spot. We'll done all!

What a difference from last week, we cut out the calamitous mistakes at the back and played some really good stuff through midfield. Kev Cawley was superb behind the front two, and Miller and Scougall also put in very good shifts. The first touch for our opening goal from Kev was a piece of class, and he finished well too.

Montrose were unbelievably open in midfield and it really played into our hands. With the success that our 3 were getting it allowed us to keep the ball down and play some really good football, instead of going for the easy long ball up to the front two.

Conor Sammon ended up with two simple tap ins but your have to credit him for the work he did in closing down the keeper and following in Cawley's shot.

The other highlight was the battle of the veterans between McAllister and Andy Graham, and it was one that Andy won comprehensively.

For all that I've been frustrated by some of our performances this season it was really good to seal a play off spot with such a good win.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Agree with this. Probably Miller's best game in an Alloa shirt, took on a leader's role in midfield. Also, amazing how good wee Kev can be when played in his best position, i.e. linking play and attacking through the middle, who'd have thought it?🤔

No failures in the starting eleven plus Durnan, defence was solid and determined, Doyley was excellent as he has been and both Sammon and McIver had good games. Strachan did well too and I hope he's OK otherwise we might not have a left back available for the playoffs. Clearly we need a few of those injured fit for then to have a genuine chance.

I'm just about to open a nice bottle of Rioja and toast Brian Rice, his staff and the players for getting us into a playoff spot. We'll done all!

Agree with this, thought Miller and Scougall excellent and as good as I've seen Miller. Some goal too, had the perfect view of it flying into the net.

Also as good as Cawleys been in a while. Back to his best playing in a position where he was clearly enjoying his football today. Also thought Sammon led the line really well and deserved his two goals.

We've struggled a bit in recent weeks but to get over the line so emphatically today will give everyone a bit of belief going into the playoffs.

12 hours ago, printer said:

Funny that 😁. Hopefully it's not Hamilton in the play-offs because without Doyle it's not inconceivable that Kev might end up back at RB/RWB. 

Great to get a play-off place secured and in such emphatic fashion too and congratulations to the players and management. Been a bit tortuous at times but a top achievement regardless.

Feels to me that it's pretty much a free shot at the play-offs this time, probably for the first time since the Maitland team that finished 4th. We've obviously had a number of promotion play-off campaigns since but there has tended to be a fair bit of expectation after strong seasons and feeling we were real contenders. Like that Maitland team, the current side have probably achieved their season target in getting into the play-offs at all and anything else is a bonus. That might help us. 

I can see the argument about fielding a strong team for Dunfermline and trying to build momentum (and going into play-offs on the back of four home defeats in a row wouldn't be ideal either), but similarly I wouldn't be risking anyone with any kind of knock either. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Funny that 😁. Hopefully it's not Hamilton in the play-offs because without Doyle it's not inconceivable that Kev might end up back at RB/RWB. 

Great to get a play-off place secured and in such emphatic fashion too and congratulations to the players and management. Been a bit tortuous at times but a top achievement regardless.

Feels to me that it's pretty much a free shot at the play-offs this time, probably for the first time since the Maitland team that finished 4th. We've obviously had a number of promotion play-off campaigns since but there has tended to be a fair bit of expectation after strong seasons and feeling we were real contenders. Like that Maitland team, the current side have probably achieved their season target in getting into the play-offs at all and anything else is a bonus. That might help us. 

I can see the argument about fielding a strong team for Dunfermline and trying to build momentum (and going into play-offs on the back of four home defeats in a row wouldn't be ideal either), but similarly I wouldn't be risking anyone with any kind of knock either. 

Indeed. Clearly there's the option of starting with a strong team, minus anyone carrying an injury, then taking off five key players after 50 to 60 minutes. Or, conversely starting with several fringe players but changing that if/when required.  

With the final Championship games on the Friday night, at least we'll know who we are playing and whether Doyley will be available or whether we need to give wee Kev some more practice at right back. 🙃

Worst I've seen us play for a while.... Alloa did well, and deserved it all.

as someone said, really let down the large crowd. It was community trust day, so there were a lot of extra groups of kids, and trust users along to watch. 

I heard people saying, "I've not been ages, and now I remember why" - - - A definite PR faux pas!

51 minutes ago, maz1974 said:

as someone said, really let down the large crowd. It was community trust day, so there were a lot of extra groups of kids, and trust users along to watch. 

I heard people saying, "I've not been ages, and now I remember why" - - - A definite PR faux pas!

Can't help but think the players were absolutely pumped up. Was heavily marketed how big the game was going to be with a possible Montrose win - I think it showed early but the goal for us completely burst any confidence the players were running on. A massive mistake for the second and after that it was very comfortable. I was painfully aware of how shelling the ball 60 yards was ineffective but that was what you turned to time and again - a fall from grace from the slick football previous Montrose sides have managed against us.

56 minutes ago, maz1974 said:

It’s a shame because the turnout was pretty outstanding. 

1,300 must be one of the highest crowds in a League 1 game not involving Dunfermline or Falkirk this season.