Final day: Cove v Morton

Last game week of the season, a Friday night under lights with all to play for for both sides.

Ton unbeaten in 5 and only 1 defeat in their last 8. A win could see them secure a coveted playoff spot. Heroic display today to come back against the Spiders.

Cove, after a horrific last 4 months, have restored a tinge of momentum after a win away at Gayfield and a draw at Dens when we camped in our own half in what was an eye bleeding performance. A win for us would give us an outside chance of securing 8th and ultimate safety. We'll setup more offensively and use Dunne and Longstaff's pace and width. I suspect Glass and Mitch will start although Leighton might make a return from injury.

Ton have won all 3 encounters this season, two 2-1's and a 1-0. All been close and keenly fought. Cove without a home win since a 2-0 victory against Accies on 23rd December.

Morton without a win in their last 10 away games (9 in the league). 7 draws and 2 defeats so definitely respectable. Last away win; a 2-1 on 17th November at Balmoral.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Just now, shaddypeekey said:

I hate to be that guy, but on today's performance, we'll have you staring relegation in the face. You defended well against Dundee but couldn't score in a back street brothel with a tenner on your boaby. 

Quite possibly. We don't play like that every week as you will probably have guessed. Not saying we play free flowing expansive football as we haven't this season apart from a few occasions under McIntyre. We're a gang especially since Hartley came in recruited a raft of dregs along with a substantial injury list.

At home, knowing we need to win to avoid automatic relegation, we'll try and play football rather than the embarrassment of Friday night. In fairness that worked in that we got a point which could be crucial.

Morton will be favourites but we have a bit more positive vibes about us, a bit of momentum and will be up for that challenge. It might or might not be enough and we'll need to accept our fate whatever the outcome.

6 minutes ago, shaddypeekey said:

I hate to be that guy, but on today's performance, we'll have you staring relegation in the face. You defended well against Dundee but couldn't score in a back street brothel with a tenner on your boaby. 

Please Morton don’t think you’ve got the game won before kick off like we and Dundee did.

Go in with the intention to smash them from the first minute, you can’t ease into the game as the longer it stay 0-0 the more likely you are to draw or even lose.

Also Cove are quite dangerous at home on that big, fast pitch.

Edited by Tattie36

9 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Please Morton don’t think you’ve got the game won before kick off like we and Dundee did.

Go in with the intention to smash them from the first minute, you can’t ease into the game as the longer it stay 0-0 the more likely you are to draw or even lose.

Also Cove are quite dangerous at home on that big, fast pitch.

Well put. This is the looney-tunes league where anyone can beat anyone else on any given day, irrespective of their league position, their form, or their (insert any other random factor). The slightest trace of complacency from any team will inevitably come back to haunt them. I’m feeling confident, however. We’re back to playing with the determination and purpose we’re eminently capable of.

Mon the Ton.

We've struggled to break down teams like Cove all season while giving teams like Dundee and Queens Park tough games so I'm definitely not counting any chickens for Friday night. We've given ourselves a chance though and I have faith in these players to go out and get their side of the job done. 

We'll need to be more clinical here than we were yesterday, Cove aren't likely to allow us as many chances as Queen's did. That said though, if we play as well as we did yesterday we'll have a great chance.

They've been very good at disrupting our midfield in the previous three games and all our winners have come late on, would be playing Robbie Crawford further forward here to have his pressing unsettling them.

Team picks itself if everyone is fit… but that’s a big if, especially in relation to Oakley (hamstring; not good).

If Oakley doesn’t make it, I’d push Muirhead right up and bring in Blues to go back to 4-3-3 (rather than Ali Crawford as a 10… although it would be some laugh if fate still has a wee moment in store for him in a Morton shirt).

If we do win, we have two shots at a play-off:

1. Partick lose to a half-dead Raith. Seems unlikely, but I suppose stranger things have happened…

2. ICT and Ayr draw. That wouldn’t be strange at all, of course, but ICT will certainly start favourites.

Overall, we need to forget the other games and just win… whether we’re rewarded with a gut-punch or a play-off QF with Queen’s Park [insert Keegan gif] is in the hands of the Gods of Fitba…

Cove can't really afford to sit back and wait for chances, given the importance of a win. That kind of game often suits Morton so I'm hopeful for a good result to close the season.

Wonder if Strapp will get another appearance or if Saturday at Cappielow was his last in a Morton kit.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

We'll need to be more clinical here than we were yesterday, Cove aren't likely to allow us as many chances as Queen's did. 

Have you seen their defensive record this season?  

The unexpected draw on Friday might shift Cove's approach. Before that, this would have been  'must-win' and so the game would have to be quite open; now, if Arbroath-Hamilton are drawing, it becomes a *must not lose* for Cove instead. Cove might therefore play cautiously for a spell in the game at least, but they might have to throw the game plan out at any time if the score changes at Gayfield. 

If we can produce the same level of performance as at Arbroath I think we'll not miss 16 chances this time and win. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Team picks itself if everyone is fit… but that’s a big if, especially in relation to Oakley (hamstring; not good).

If Oakley doesn’t make it, I’d push Muirhead right up and bring in Blues to go back to 4-3-3 (rather than Ali Crawford as a 10… although it would be some laugh if fate still has a wee moment in store for him in a Morton shirt).

If we do win, we have two shots at a play-off:

1. Partick lose to a half-dead Raith. Seems unlikely, but I suppose stranger things have happened…

2. ICT and Ayr draw. That wouldn’t be strange at all, of course, but ICT will certainly start favourites.

Overall, we need to forget the other games and just win… whether we’re rewarded with a gut-punch or a play-off QF with Queen’s Park [insert Keegan gif] is in the hands of the Gods of Fitba…

If Muirhead is fit. He looked uncomfortable and hobbling leaving the stadium yesterday. 

28 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

If Muirhead is fit. He looked uncomfortable and hobbling leaving the stadium yesterday. 

Feck knows what we'd do if neither of them make it... Jai through the middle with McGrattan and Ali boy or Blues coming in, I guess.

Fingers crossed one or both are ok.

Edited to add: I thought Cove defended their box very well in the second half on Friday night, but the thing that gives me pause is that their body language and commitment remained good, even in a game where they had almost no possession or encouragement. Think they'll make it a real battle, one way or the other.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

7 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Feck knows what we'd do if neither of them make it... Jai through the middle with McGrattan and Ali boy or Blues coming in, I guess.

Fingers crossed one or both are ok.

Edited to add: I thought Cove defended their box very well in the second half on Friday night, but the thing that gives me pause is that their body language and commitment remained good, even in a game where they had almost no possession or encouragement. Think they'll make it a real battle, one way or the other.

Ally Roy's time to shine...

Aye OK, maybe not.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Ally Roy's time to shine...

Aye OK, maybe not.

Forgot he was with you. Either of Oakley or Muirhead would be a big loss for the Ton. 

Someone due a goal for us is Mitch, not scored in his last 10 league games. Doesn't normally go that long without one

8 hours ago, Mon eh Ton said:

Wonder if Strapp will get another appearance or if Saturday at Cappielow was his last in a Morton kit.

Strapp wasn't listed on Saturday, so if stripped would only have been to come on at FT and give us a last wave.

Don't see any point as he can't afford an injury as he looks for a new club, I send him my best wishes and thank for his effort and contribution over the years.

Big Efe might get a last wave also. 

12 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Spotted him on crutches at full time on the pitch, looked like he was struggling to walk, so would be surprised. 

Been a bit of a waste of a signing really. 

That answers that.

Quitongo it is then.

Edited by Jamie_M

Strapp and Roy are both out for the season according to Imrie in his pre match interview. Roy hasn't really done much but by all accounts he cost us peanuts and was basically a bonus signing due to his personal circumstances allowing him to come back to Scotland. 

Going to head up to this one hoping to see end to end stuff, chances galore with two teams playing for something.

in reality one will go 1 up and that’ll be that