Conference League Good Guys List

Ray Patterson

With regards the perpetual requests and "demands" for B teams and access, it's great news that this has been binned but it does seem to keep coming back and back and back. What are the next steps? How do we as fans look at getting the idea thrown away entirely? Pretty much every argument put forward by the SFA in support of B teams can be torn to shreds within minutes, are the representatives of the clubs doing this or are they just saying "no" all the time? Maxwell doesn't strike me as someone that would be able to defend these plans under even the slightest bit of pressure in having to justify the excerpts I've seen from that SFA document.

Edited by Big Fifer

2 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Anyone worth their salt in Scottish football would have looked up the current status of B team football in Croatia. Even us on a football forum know that when you come out with some claim or statistic you have to back it up with a creditable source unless its established common knowledge. Imagine if Maxwell was a poster on here, I think we can guess what kind of posts would land on these threads.

The whole justification looks like it was written in an afternoon and conflates correlation as causation throughout.

It's an abysmal document that would have you failed at Standard Grade Modern Studies for being a rambling collection of data lacking integrity, reliability, relevance and with no coherent message.  It's as clear an example as you're ever likely to see of "selective use of facts".

If you presented that as a proposal for some hypothetical business case in anywhere I'd worked, it would be thrown out and your ability questioned.

38 minutes ago, Greenmachine said:

With news leaking out that Celtic are going to build a 5000 seater stadium at Barrowfield it’s not hard to join the dots on who was driving the B team agenda.

Is this not for the Ladies team or any of the youth teams as well as the B team/reserve or anyone who wants to use it and was on the cards long before COVID?

Makes sense rather than having to compete with other clubs for the use of pitches or having to use another club's ground.

I don't see the issue nor the connection.

I would hope that most Premeirship clubs would follow as very likely they get first shout on hiring facilities, pitches etc around the country. Frees up space for grass roots clubs to use these facilities.

The SFA need root and branch reform.  It is far from healthy that the CEO of the SPFL sits on the SFA Board.

We also have the ludicrous situation that the "Professional Game Board" includes the SPFL, LL, HL and the SWPL, meanwhile the EoS and WoS languish on the "Non-Professional Game Board" with the likes of the Scottish Welfare FA and Amateur FA and all the odds and sods.

Then of course, we have the restriction on voting rights, where new members do not have a voice unless they reach the heights of tier 5, an exercise if protecting the balance of power.

Then we have the "Hereditary" process of crowning SFA Presidents which is why we end up with that lunatic Mulraney being anointed today.

England's game now have/about to have a Govt appointed Regulator.  It's time Scottish football had the same, along with an independent board.

44 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The whole justification looks like it was written in an afternoon and conflates correlation as causation throughout.

It's an abysmal document that would have you failed at Standard Grade Modern Studies for being a rambling collection of data lacking integrity, reliability, relevance and with no coherent message.  It's as clear an example as you're ever likely to see of "selective use of facts".

If you presented that as a proposal for some hypothetical business case in anywhere I'd worked, it would be thrown out and your ability questioned.

Oh I would have LOVED to see the CONference put forward as a business plan on "The Apprentice" and watch Claude Littner & Co tear it to shreds.

Special episode of "Only An Excuse" please BBC Scotland 😂

12 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The SFA need root and branch reform.  It is far from healthy that the CEO of the SPFL sits on the SFA Board.

We also have the ludicrous situation that the "Professional Game Board" includes the SPFL, LL, HL and the SWPL, meanwhile the EoS and WoS languish on the "Non-Professional Game Board" with the likes of the Scottish Welfare FA and Amateur FA and all the odds and sods.

Then of course, we have the restriction on voting rights, where new members do not have a voice unless they reach the heights of tier 5, an exercise if protecting the balance of power.

Then we have the "Hereditary" process of crowning SFA Presidents which is why we end up with that lunatic Mulraney being anointed today.

England's game now have/about to have a Govt appointed Regulator.  It's time Scottish football had the same, along with an independent board.

Please please no. The Scottish Government are notoriously anti Scottish Football.

Just now, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Please please no. The Scottish Government are notoriously anti Scottish Football.

I'm not sure they are, and to be honest the game needs urgent reform and if the SFA themselves do not undertake that process, then the Scottish Govt need to start taking an interest.

It's our national sport, it's part of our culture, and they hand the game significant amounts of money.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

B teams are one of these zombie ideas that are constant talking points.  They will never go away.

Other zombie ideas in Scottish football are:

Summer football

16 team top flight

Old Firm going to England / some sort of British cup

16 team top division would increase the numbers of teenagers/ early 20's getting experience in the division.

1 hour ago, approximately dave said:

Just over 10 years ago it was a return to a 10 team top flight.

I'm also sure they would love to have a breakaway top flight back again.

The OF priority is not the national team it is the OF. Plain and simple.

18 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

It's Ok. It's the UK Government which is bringing in regulation/a regulator to the English Football scene. It can do the same elsewhere too if needs be. That would take to parochialism out of the matter.

14 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not sure they are, and to be honest the game needs urgent reform and if the SFA themselves do not undertake that process, then the Scottish Govt need to start taking an interest.

It's our national sport, it's part of our culture, and they hand the game significant amounts of money.

The only appointment I might be happy with is Fergus Ewing.

40 minutes ago, archieb said:

Oh I would have LOVED to see the CONference put forward as a business plan on "The Apprentice" and watch Claude Littner & Co tear it to shreds.

Special episode of "Only An Excuse" please BBC Scotland 😂

Was chatting with my laddie this morning saying the same 😂

7oefxx.jpg

28 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Does this stand up to much scrutiny still?

They have litterally just announced multi year funding package allowing fans to take ownership stakes in their clubs.

And will also likely be funding improvements to the national football stadium in the event of Scotland being a host of a UEFA/FIFA tournament.

Sure there is more they could do and they probably don't have the expertise to carry out a review, but I'm not sure brandishing them as anti football is particularly accurate.

A review from another FA with serious fan engagement along the lines of the citizens assembly I think would be the most helpful & welcome development. But it would likely tell the SFA they are hopeless and they don't seem interested in hearing that message.

8 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

The only appointment I might be happy with is Fergus Ewing.

He'd make every player have short back and sides and have a lifetime ban for swearing or being gay, probably put an end to women's football too.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Aye, but apart from that...

Is it beyond the ken to have all tier 5 and 6 leagues, the SPFL, and the SFA round the table, along with two or three clubs from each league as well as the league reps themselves, along with that dreaded word "consultants" to lead it, and actually find a constructive way forward.

Have a number of sessions over the course of the next 6 months, even bring in fans groups to speak at it, and find common ground on promotion/relegation, on B/Reserves, league size, licencing, voting rights, the whole shebang, and work from there.

No topic off the table.

If the SFA were serious about consultation and engagement, be open about it and involve as many voices as they can.  We can have Mulraney sticking Post-Its to the ideas wall, Maxwell serving the coffee, Doncaster wibbling in the corner.

Sky would be interested.

Edited by Burnieman