Stranraer 2023-24

I've sort of made peace with us going down after today, feels inevitable and maybe the Lowland League will be an interesting change - minus the B Team shambles - and a chance to reset.

However, wouldn't it be great if the manager could galvanise the players and fans for one last push and we pull off the "great escape".

Our relegation feels inevitable at some point (probably this year) so why not pull out the stops to postpone it for another year at least.

Baffled by the contract extension but we are where we are, maybe there's time for one last adventure in the league.

Come on Stranraer.

A lot of football to be played yet. Not much between any teams , a favourable bounce of the ball or referee decision here and there can make a big difference. Two wins are easily doable and your safe.

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I must admit, Agnew seems to be getting a bit of an easy ride, managers have been punted for far less. Surely Stranraer fans can’t be happy with how things have gone under his tenure?

I have been saying this for weeks or months.

It is bizarre, considering there are plenty of examples of Stranraer managers punted for much less.

He's here go stay now I would imagine so may as well get behind him I guess.

Edited by GallowayBlue

13 hours ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Your manager gave me a chuckle “we deserved a point” we dominated the whole match and coulda scored 10

He would be the only one that thought that. Didn't cope with wind at all. Clyde used it better and 3nil would have been a fairer scoreline however the usual late goal we concede was there for all to see.

10 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

I've sort of made peace with us going down after today, feels inevitable and maybe the Lowland League will be an interesting change - minus the B Team shambles - and a chance to reset.

Our relegation feels inevitable at some point (probably this year) so why not pull out the stops to postpone it for another year at least.

Come on Stranraer.

The LL would be a disaster for Stranraer. 

The whole player structure would change. 

Do you still train away from the area?

Players are not going to travel for non league football when they can get it on their doorstep? 

Best of luck in your quest to stay up. 

Just now, newcastle broon said:

Players are not going to travel for non league football when they can get it on their doorstep? 

Train in kilwinning

3 minutes ago, Blue1870 said:

Train in kilwinning

Thank you. 

That's still a good bit travel away from Stair Park.

Plenty non league sides in Kilwinning area.

Berwick were similar I think when they went down. 

Couldn't attract players due to the rise of Bonnyrigg Edin City Spartans et al.

43 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I know, but if we're not good enough what can you do.

May as well be positive. 

11 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

However, wouldn't it be great if the manager could galvanise the players and fans for one last push and we pull off the "great escape".

Baffled by the contract extension but we are where we are, maybe there's time for one last adventure in the league.

Come on Stranraer.

Don’t even get into that mindset. It’s a heck of lot easier to stay in L2 than it is to get out of the LL. The fall in income the second season in the LL which Rovers are about to experience is drastic.The seeing new grounds novelty wears off very quickly, the LL organisation is a joke.

C’mon Blues a couple of wins would probably be enough.

Edited by Bucky

I don't. Never accepted defeat in any sport I ever played till it was impossible to catch. While we stank NDP out yesterday I won't give up while there is 12 points to play for. Even McCall said that in his interview while he's delighted to have made up the deficit to Stranraer and bonnyrigg(almost) they definitely aren't safe and need to continue in next few games. According to 75 percent of Stranraer fans on our two Facebook pages we are down already. Ffs with that attitude we may as well be. Unreal.

Edited by Blue1870

Scott Agnew has contradicted himself in some interviews, either week to week or in the same one as was the case yesterday.  "The players gave me everything" but also "they're not doing enough".  After the Dumbarton victory he very much suggested he thought safety was theirs, yesterday "we have been in a fight for months".  It could be the pressure or just inexperience in this position but at what point does he look and accept that he is perhaps culpable for most of the club's current issues on the park.  Before it was referees he blamed, now it's his players.  Tactically he just seems well short of the required standard.  That said I would give you more chance of staying up against EK or whoever than Bonnyrigg but would stop short of putting any sort of money on it at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Don’t even get into that mindset. It’s a heck of lot easier to stay in L2 than it is to get out of the LL. The fall in income the second season in the LL which Rovers are about to experience is drastic.The seeing new grounds novelty wears off very quickly, the LL organisation is a joke.

C’mon Blues a couple of wins would probably be enough.

Totally agree, the Lowland League will probably lead me to lose interest eventually.

Feels inevitable though, we've been sleep walking to this point.

Hopefully the doom merchants like myself are wrong - can't see it though.

25 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Sorry to interject on the misery fest.

Are the trains to Stranraer still screwed up? Scotrail/Trainline suggests for a journey on 4th May from Glasgow to Stranraer, you have to change at Prestick, short train to Ayr then a replacement bus to Stranraer. Is that right?

That's right unfortunately. Not exactly helpful.

30 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Totally agree, the Lowland League will probably lead me to lose interest eventually.

Feels inevitable though, we've been sleep walking to this point.

Hopefully the doom merchants like myself are wrong - can't see it though.

Circle the plughole for long enough you get sucked in eventually. As you say, it is inevitable at some point. Only ex-Lg2 club who were maybe unlucky to find themselves down there are Berwick, who had one bad season. 

Cowden, East Stirling and Albion struggled for years, Brechin imploded as a club (bit like Edinburgh City are now). We haven't imploded, or been in serious trouble, but we've always been in the 'next cab off the rank' group of clubs. 

With the Pyramid it was inevitable that ambitious, well-funded ex-Junior or LL clubs would catch and overtake smaller, poorer Senior clubs like ourselves.