Airdrie v Falkirk, 1st leg

Wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost this one.  Assuming Falkirk wins the final, the line up next year is probably the most open for a number of years.  Big chance for a league win for whoever loses this.  That said still want the bragging rights.

Pressing Falkirk will be key as they have consistently looked shaky at the back when we've pressured them for spells in every game this season. The 4-3 Dunfermline game was the same. Our best line of defence is attack, if we sit back we're fucked. Kennedy and Morrison are quality but we've got quality too. Too close to call, my heart says us but I'm afraid my head says Falkirk. Either way, it will be very close. Whoever wins gets promoted IMO. I think our best 11 picks itself, the only debate is pie selection for the 2nd leg, haggis &peppercorn? donner? Bring it on!(the games & the pies!)

Really not convinced with our team digging in for 4 games. They've shown to bottle the majority of big games. Airdrie have a great record against us in recent years and seem to have a bit more dig about them. I hope I'm wrong but struggling to see us suddenly being able to get a tough result. 

18 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost this one.  Assuming Falkirk wins the final, the line up next year is probably the most open for a number of years.  Big chance for a league win for whoever loses this.  That said still want the bragging rights.

Think the league will be weaker regardless, Cove coming down won't be anywhere near as strong as Dunfermline, and as for the team(s) coming up there's not much difference. If Hamilton come down I don't see them going straight back up either. 

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

After several full houses recently suggestions are now open for this special play off edition of Falkirk fans lingo bingo. 

May I venture the Navy Blue Pound, opening a second stand for our huge support, call your ground the Shyberry & that the Bankies have, historically, always given us bother?

That should win me a prize on corners (one thrown in for Scumvermin fans lurking round here).

HTH.😉

4 hours ago, kiddy said:

May I venture the Navy Blue overdraft, opening a second stand for our huge support, call your ground the Shyberry & that the Bankies have, historically, always given us bother?

That should win me a prize on corners (one thrown in for Scumvermin fans lurking round here).

HTH.😉

FTFY

Great suggestions one and all. I would also venture that any supporters of Dunfermline Athletic who come onto the match thread will be met with the usual "won the league but still obsessed with the Bairns" chat. 

Edited by cb_diamond

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Suspensions also effect the championship teams more with 2 bookings = suspension, a PREM team only has two games and needs to get sent off to miss a game, whereas a championship team can have up to six games to reach the prem 

That’s not the case, yellow cards in play-offs are counted the same as league games. If a suspension kicks in it will depend on what you’ve picked up all season

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Mon back when you’ve ever been in a play off final. 

We have been in a play-off final.

We won it. 

It kept us in the division you'd departed a fortnight earlier and are striving to now join.

3 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Anyone know why the Championship playoffs don’t follow the same format as the Premiership playoffs? Makes more sense to have 4th play 3rd, winner plays 2nd, winner plays the Championship team. 

That's quite the take.

It's the Premiership version that's the outlier, allowing as it does for the higher league side to enter a final of a tournament that most participants from the lower division need to enter at the quarter final stage.

They justify it by pointing to the two additional top flight league games. That, however, is the excuse for skewing it in the top flight side's favour, rather than the reason for it.

Due to the '1 up: 1 down' nonsense of the SPL era, we're pathetically grateful that it ever changed.  It still features loaded dice though.

Reckon these two games will match the best that Alton Towers has to offer. Sorely tempted to take along my missus’ horror movie cushion. Can make myself comfy if it’s going well, or can use it (as she does) to hide behind during the inevitable scary bits.

51 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

FTFY

Great suggestions one and all. I would also venture that any supporters of Dunfermline Athletic who venture onto the match thread will be met with the usual "won the league but still obsessed with the Bairns" chat. 

Bless, our presence is a constant reminder that they got absolutely fucked in the league. 

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's quite the take.

It's the Premiership version that's the outlier, allowing as it does for the higher league side to enter a final of a tournament that most participants from the lower division need to enter at the quarter final stage.

They justify it by pointing to the two additional top flight league games. That, however, is the excuse for skewing it in the top flight side's favour, rather than the reason for it.

Due to the '1 up: 1 down' nonsense of the SPL era, we're pathetically grateful that it ever changed.  It still features loaded dice though.

Indeed. I'm curious to understand why it "makes more sense"?

Team capable of winning a play off semi against a good Falkirk side absolutely yes.  Confident in winning Tuesday absolutely not.   The way the play offs have been in recent seasons we are more likely to draw the 1st leg then win the 2nd with an epic performance then not turn up for a final against Alloa. 

Like most have said previously I hope we can but don't really think we will.  A title challenge in league 1 next year though. 

It's probably in our interests to have Falkirk join Dunfermline in going up this season.

it would mean that there are no clubs in the division next season that are significantly bigger than ours, aiding our chances of promotion.  Such chances are, however, thoroughly reliant on us being a great deal less pish than we've managed to be this season.

Having said that, if Falkirk do falter, there will be chortle value attached to them being stuck down here for a fifth season.

More excited for this than Partick vs QP, two good attacking teams that do not like each other. Shame this won't be on BBC Alba like the final will be, but if I can watch it I will be. Having seen both teams this season I was more impressed with Airdrie than either time we played Falkirk, but that doesn't mean much and both sides are capable of opening the other up.

Have a weird feeling that this will finally be the season Falkirk end their stay of futility, but I have no dog in the fight and I know full well how good Airdrie are at finding the net, and if Airdrie get through I reckon they'll go up. If nothing else, it'll be funny to laugh at the loser.

Looking forward to it lads, don't disappoint!

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's quite the take.

We can't pretend the play-offs are fair to begin with. Finishing 4th in a 10-team league shouldn't result in you having any additional opportunity to gain promotion. You basically finished mid-table ffs.

That being said, I really enjoy that they're a part of our leagues because it undoubtedly makes things more interesting.

Also wish this was on TV, especially the second leg next weekend. Will be tears and snotters whatever happens.

He won't be sacked if they lose but it would result in McGlynn being under *huge* pressure from Match 1 next season. Falkirk fans seem to be judging his performance against one of their worst seasons in living memory, instead of the fact that he failed to even compete for the title despite having the biggest budget in the league.

Airdrie are a really decent side and it's crazy they ended up 21 points adrift of the Pars, considering they outscored us by 19 goals! They've actually managed to score a ridiculous 150 goals over the last two league campaigns. Won't mean much if they don't get promoted, though.

Think it will be very tight but fancy Falkirk to win narrowly on aggregate.