Airdrie v Falkirk, 1st leg

This post will get lost in the thread no doubt as I’m sure there will be so many many comments filing in.

That may seem unbelievable to neutrals and Falkirk fans, but everything about that game was typical of Airdrie this season, and it’s what many of us were saying on here before the game. We are utterly chaotic, and at our best we can absolutely blow away anyone in this division. But the fear of bottling it is always there. At 3 and 4-0 everyone around me was obviously delighted but still quite nervous. The fifth did ease things a bit, but 5-1 brought it back and the red card was very worrying. I said if the free kick went in we’d be really up against it but for once the team proved me wrong and held out. Agent Allan’s red card and the later penalty were absolutely massive by the way. I feel good about a four goal lead, but three goals with Rae suspended still had me nervous.

11 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

I think a few P&B Bairns are building Airdrie up to be something they aren't. This is all about us & whether we turn up.

Was watching the Partick game so didn't take this one in. Did you turn up in the end?

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wasn't aware of that. Fair enough there's precedent here then. I imagine they could do it. And therefore that Murray Johnson would be the very obvious possibility though that maybe doesn't work if Hibs are playing at the weekend, which I assume they are, as he's been their No 2 lately.

By the way, since I assume this is technically a League fixture, and Rae has been sent off at least once this season already, he'll get at least a two match ban. Has he been sent off twice previously or just once? If it's twice he'll get a three match ban and miss both legs of the final too (assuming Falkirk don't come back to win).

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

By the way, since I assume this is technically a League fixture, and Rae has been sent off at least once this season already, he'll get at least a two match ban. Has he been sent off twice previously or just once? If it's twice he'll get a three match ban and miss both legs of the final too (assuming Falkirk don't come back to win).

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=123446

This is his second red. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Couldn't recall. Now I remember he somehow avoided a second yellow in a game despite handling outside the box at some point. Ok, two match ban it should be then unless they are deeming the Playoffs a totally separate competition for suspension purposes. I'm not certain but I think they treat them as extended league matches.

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Interesting question actually.

Not sure what I would do if Dunfermline were ever in a similar situation but think I'd probably head along in case of the miracle and then leave early for the pub when it doesn't happen.

Not entirely the same situation but we found ourselves 3-1 down to Forfar and they scored about 15 seconds into the second leg. We somehow went on to win 6-4, although Forfar had 2 if not 3 sent off. Then we went to Alloa in the final and lost 3-0. IIRC we still had big support, especially the Forfar game but 4 is a huge gulf. You’d fancy Airdrie to score on Saturday too! 

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

This post will get lost in the thread no doubt as I’m sure there will be so many many comments filing in.

That may seem unbelievable to neutrals and Falkirk fans, but everything about that game was typical of Airdrie this season, and it’s what many of us were saying on here before the game. We are utterly chaotic, and at our best we can absolutely blow away anyone in this division. But the fear of bottling it is always there. At 3 and 4-0 everyone around me was obviously delighted but still quite nervous. The fifth did ease things a bit, but 5-1 brought it back and the red card was very worrying. I said if the free kick went in we’d be really up against it but for once the team proved me wrong and held out. Agent Allan’s red card and the later penalty were absolutely massive by the way. I feel good about a four goal lead, but three goals with Rae suspended still had me nervous.

Genuinely, I’m not surprised at that result.  Anyone who’s watched both teams this season shouldnt be.

Bad news for you is I wouldn't be surprised if it was 8-3 to Falkirk on Saturday.  Or 8-3 to you.  Or 0-0 or 7-4 or whatever the hell it’s going to be.