Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Dundee will live to regret firing Bowyer IMO. 

He knew how to get them firing.

Club is so batshit.

First stable, good manager we've had in what feels like an eternity gets binned AFTER securing promotion to the top flight to be replaced by the guy that used to make the tea for managers at multiple other clubs.

Bit of a gamble but always thought he had the manager look about him so fair play to the Dungs for giving him a chance. Time will tell whether it’s inspired or a complete and utter disaster!

Edited by Sting777

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Not the usual merry-go-round candidate. Has a lot of experience in the game. Well respected. Left field appointment. 

I mean, the fact that he's never been a manager before is obviously a concern but considering the names touted, I'm reasonably happy.

For those that want to put a negative spin on it, like the Raith slabber above that is raging we didn't take Ian Murray, then he'll be portrayed as just the guy that placed the cones and handed out the bibs for Derek McInnes.

For those that want to put a positive spin on it, he'll get viewed as the brains behind Derek McInnes.

Only one way we'll find out but overall, I'd prefer the previous manager, but out of the candidates mentioned, I'm quite happy with this one.

Lose your first few games and I'll bet you'll be calling for his head. I'm glad we kept Murray good coach who will be given a better chance this year with our new board.

It was always going to be a coach type rather than a Manager type, this is what WGS wanted from Bowyer, why he asked Davidson, and why we have ended up with a coach.

WGS to supply the players TD to coach them.

58 minutes ago, Rugster said:

As a Falkirk fan I know a bit about Tony Docherty, and I certainly know about honking appointments - and that, my friends, is a honking appointment.

I think Tony might surprise a few people, good luck to him.

10 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Lose your first few games and I'll bet you'll be calling for his head. I'm glad we kept Murray good coach who will be given a better chance this year with our new board.

Quite possibly. As will you with Murray at Raith in the Championship.

Anyone stating with any degree of confidence that this will be either good or bad is at it IMO.

You get first time managerial appointments where you can confidently predict they have something about them based on the experience they've gained in coaching to date, which possibly started before they even retired as players. While you can never guarantee they'll be good, there are some players have obviously always wanted to be managers, have thought properly about the steps to take towards it and what the right job and right time is for them to take that step. Recent examples of this would be Marvin Bartley and Dougie Imrie.

You also get cases where it's obvious a board have been extremely lazy or panicked and launched a job offer at someone already in the building or a club legend because they can't think of who else to go for. That could be a long serving youth coach or other member of the backroom staff who's never shown any interest in being a manager or the oldest player in the squad who doesn't have the slightest experience of any kind of coaching. Sometimes this can work out - even if he did have ambitions of management it's highly unlikely Kris Doolan would have got the Partick job if he wasn't already there as a youth coach while also being a legend as a player and he's been superb so far - but it was fairly obvious to everyone looking on that Eddie May was going to be a disaster at Falkirk and Tommy Craig would be a laughable appointment at St Mirren.

Docherty doesn't fall into either of those camps. He's spent so long as an assistant that it's reasonable to question whether he is actually cut out to be a manager, but that doesn't necessarily make him Brian Rice and he's clearly decided himself it's time to take the leap rather than having his current employers badger him into stepping up when he didn't want to like May at Falkirk.

Despite Ayr fans protestations, Lee Bullen has clearly done a very good job there and all the caveats that apply to Docherty's background apply to him as well. It could end up being an Allan Preston level clusterfuck but anyone confidently predicting that is being extremely bold.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

It was always going to be a coach type rather than a Manager type, this is what WGS wanted from Bowyer, why he asked Davidson, and why we have ended up with a coach.

WGS to supply the players TD to coach them.

Spot on. It’s the set up WGS has been hankering for. The issue is that Strachan will still be remote from the dressing room and the day-to-day man-management of the players. I’ve got no doubts about Docherty’s coaching and tactical credentials but can he instill the type of “I’d walk through walls for him” belief into a group of players?

Also, if you were a bit surprised by this appointment, just wait until the “number two” gets announced.

Just now, Baffled said:

Spot on. It’s the set up WGS has been hankering for. The issue is that Strachan will still be remote from the dressing room and the day-to-day man-management of the players. I’ve got no doubts about Docherty’s coaching and tactical credentials but can he instill the type of “I’d walk through walls for him” belief into a group of players?

Also, if you were a bit surprised by this appointment, just wait until the “number  two ” gets announced.

Do tell…

1 minute ago, Baffled said:

Also, if you were a bit surprised by this appointment, just wait until the “number two” gets announced.

Spill the beans!

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Anyone stating with any degree of confidence that this will be either good or bad is at it IMO.

You get first time managerial appointments where you can confidently predict they have something about them based on the experience they've gained in coaching to date, which possibly started before they even retired as players. While you can never guarantee they'll be good, there are some players have obviously always wanted to be managers, have thought properly about the steps to take towards it and what the right job and right time is for them to take that step. Recent examples of this would be Marvin Bartley and Dougie Imrie.

You also get cases where it's obvious a board have been extremely lazy or panicked and launched a job offer at someone already in the building or a club legend because they can't think of who else to go for. That could be a long serving youth coach or other member of the backroom staff who's never shown any interest in being a manager or the oldest player in the squad who doesn't have the slightest experience of any kind of coaching. Sometimes this can work out - even if he did have ambitions of management it's highly unlikely Kris Doolan would have got the Partick job if he wasn't already there as a youth coach while also being a legend as a player and he's been superb so far - but it was fairly obvious to everyone looking on that Eddie May was going to be a disaster at Falkirk and Tommy Craig would be a laughable appointment at St Mirren.

Docherty doesn't fall into either of those camps. He's spent so long as an assistant that it's reasonable to question whether he is actually cut out to be a manager, but that doesn't necessarily make him Brian Rice and he's clearly decided himself it's time to take the leap rather than having his current employers badger him into stepping up when he didn't want to like May at Falkirk.

Despite Ayr fans protestations, Lee Bullen has clearly done a very good job there and all the caveats that apply to Docherty's background apply to him as well. It could end up being an Allan Preston level clusterfuck but anyone confidently predicting that is being extremely bold.

Excellent post. I can’t like due to being out of greenies. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Rather have Murray than a poor assistant manager who will be sacked by Christmas. 

Dundee clearly wouldn't though. Enjoy the Championship, hopefully you aren't chasing him out the club like you all were at the start of the season.

6 minutes ago, Baffled said:

5 minutes ago, Girth said:

Do tell…

4 minutes ago, Fandee said:

Spill the beans!

It's Ian Murray isn't it?