Partick v Ayr/Ayr v Partick - Semi Final

I think this will be tight, but if I’m being completely honest I think Partick will edge it. I see it like this: 

Partick have a decent bit more quality in the three they play in behind the striker, which exploits some of our weaknesses in terms of our full backs and direct running around McGinty. I think that could be the difference. 

We are better at centre half, with Musonda miles in front of Muirhead and Brownlie. Albinson is better than Mitchell by a distance too. Akinyemi obviously has the ability to tear that centre half pairing apart, but it will depend on the service/support he gets. Mullin being back is huge in terms of that. In Graham, Partick also have a very good striker at this level. 

Docherty/Bannigan v Dempsey/Murdoch is relatively even and will be a right good battle. 

Agree with that. I'd take Akinyemi, Musonda and Albinson ahead of what we have, Mullin is good but wouldn't swap him for Tiff or Lawless and think we have slight edge everywhere else, but nothing massive. 

I wonder whether the 2 weeks off for Ayr is a good or bad thing, obviously allows knocks to heal but we're coming in off a victory and still with a full week's rest between the games so it's not the fixture pile up of previous years. 

Edit : although Akinyemi is the player of the season, it's not a massive downgrade to Graham compared to if we were rolling out Raith or Arbroath's striker options this season 

Edited by Fuctifano

Ayr seem to win the big games between the sides,when we are at a low ebb or going through some upheaval at least.

At the moment we seem to have a bit more focus and Dools has done a very good job since taking over.

Both sides have potential match winners, but I don't see there being as many goals as there were against the hapless vanity project.

I would be disappointed not to get through, obviously but not necessarily surprised.

Edited by jagfox

21 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think this will be tight, but if I’m being completely honest I think Partick will edge it. I see it like this: 

Partick have a decent bit more quality in the three they play in behind the striker, which exploits some of our weaknesses in terms of our full backs and direct running around McGinty. I think that could be the difference. 

We are better at centre half, with Musonda miles in front of Muirhead and Brownlie. Albinson is better than Mitchell by a distance too. Akinyemi obviously has the ability to tear that centre half pairing apart, but it will depend on the service/support he gets. Mullin being back is huge in terms of that. In Graham, Partick also have a very good striker at this level. 

Docherty/Bannigan v Dempsey/Murdoch is relatively even and will be a right good battle. 

Would pretty much agree with every word of this. Sneddon is a better goalkeeper than Mitchell by a distance but is unlikely to come back in now. 

Only thing I would say is that I think Ayr have been better than anyone in the league at stifling our attacking flair, they're the only team in the league that we've not had a prolonged spell of dominating in any of our games this season. Have the fear that they have our number in that regard but we've built a nice bit of momentum after a slightly slow end to the season. 

24 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

So what are we thinking crowd wise for Friday?

Home: 3,600

Away: 1,800

How many did we take to Falkirk for the cup game? I'd like to think we'd better that. More local, Friday as opposed to a Monday and in my eyes a bigger game.