The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Good win for giving confidence going into Sunday.

A few pockets of Frankfurt fans in the main stand that had some foaming at the mouths they were there. Was behind the uefa delegate seats which was frankfurt fans and previous been poak and HK fans. The German guys soundest of the lot good chat on football.

can anyone explain how the ufea delegate seats work?  

Just now, Moorie said:

A few pockets of Frankfurt fans in the main stand that had some foaming at the mouths they were there. Was behind the uefa delegate seats which was frankfurt fans and previous been poak and HK fans. The German guys soundest of the lot good chat on football.

Pull it down and sit on it.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

We weren't great tonight but we have absolutely deserved a win during this group stage.

I honestly believe we could have qualified to the last 32 had VAR been used appropriately against PAOK and arguably in the Helsinki home match.

Proud of Aberdeen in Europe this season. Credit to Robson and the team.

I highly doubt any side outside the ugly sisters would have performed as well as we have.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

@DrewDonare you a believer now?

🇺🇲

He is definitely growing on me. There are still times when I think he could be a bit tidier, but he is learning to use his physicality more effectively and has shown signs of adjusting to the pace of the game (with the caveat that tonight wasn't the quickest game we have been involved in). There is definitely a tactical role for him in this team, at least against a certain type of opponent. I actually expected him to start at Hampden, but that now feels unlikely with him completing the full game tonight. 

The shape tonight was broadly very effective, and we took our two big chances when we created them. To his credit, Robson has shown, when we come up against a higher quality of opponent, that he has a very clear and well-drilled tactical plan - and, by and large, it is currently an effective one. 

A special mention for Milne, who I thought was excellent and I have been impressed with virtually every time I have seen him. MacDonald marshalled the defence and held the shape very well, and I'd imagine will now be in pole position to start in the middle of defence on Sunday if he wasn't already.

35 minutes ago, Moorie said:

I did smirk a bit at the reaction when a small group of them stood up and tried to start a chant. Added a bit of entertainment to a rather soporific first half (up until Duk's goal).

Edited by DrewDon

8 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

A special mention for Milne, who I thought was excellent and I have been impressed with virtually every time I have seen him. 

Agreed. Milne has impressed the last couple of games. Good to see another youngster coming through!

49 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I honestly believe we could have qualified to the last 32 had VAR been used appropriately against PAOK and arguably in the Helsinki home match.

Not having that, it was our own shortcomings. We just have to own it. PAOK we chucked away and Helsinki we simply weren’t good enough. 

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

You could argue that Frankfurt are the highest calibre team we’ve beaten since Hamburg in 83.

That was only 40 years ago next Tuesday.  Probably right though (although it has to be said it was a dead rubber in all fairness)

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

He is definitely growing on me. There are still times when I think he could be a bit tidier, but he is learning to use his physicality more effectively and has shown signs of adjusting to the pace of the game (with the caveat that tonight wasn't the quickest game we have been involved in). There is definitely a tactical role for him in this team, at least against a certain type of opponent. I actually expected him to start at Hampden, but that now feels unlikely with him completing the full game tonight. 

The shape tonight was broadly very effective, and we took our two big chances when we created them. To his credit, Robson has shown, when we come up against a higher quality of opponent, that he has a very clear and well-drilled tactical plan - and, by and large, it is currently an effective one. 

A special mention for Milne, who I thought was excellent and I have been impressed with virtually every time I have seen him. MacDonald marshalled the defence and held the shape very well, and I'd imagine will now be in pole position to start in the middle of defence on Sunday if he wasn't already.

We do lack a bit of physical in presence in midfield. I don't mean Shinnie working his arse off and challenging for tackles that he shouldn't come out on top but a bit of size.

Milne has been brilliant, but obviously not a rb. Doesn't have the desire of Devlin yet, but can't think of many times he's lost the ball. Technically very good.

Like others have said, it would have been a travesty if we had completed the group with no wins. I honestly think the team have done us proud over the six matches and competed in every single match home and away, much much better than I could have imagined. There seemed to be Germans around everywhere before the match, including in the RDS toilets but didn’t see that as an issue, although it may have turned out differently if Frankfurt had scored. An enjoyable and relatively stress free evening. Not sure Sunday afternoon will be the same.

44 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

You could argue that Frankfurt are the highest calibre team we’ve beaten since Hamburg in 83.

I also thought along that lines tonight although more focused on Pittodrie and thought of Bayern Munich in 1983 (forgot about the Super Cup).

Although I would also give honourable mentions to Servette, Feyenoord, Rapid Vienna and Copenhagen.

20 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Like others have said, it would have been a travesty if we had completed the group with no wins. I honestly think the team have done us proud over the six matches and competed in every single match home and away, much much better than I could have imagined. There seemed to be Germans around everywhere before the match, including in the RDS toilets but didn’t see that as an issue, although it may have turned out differently if Frankfurt had scored. An enjoyable and relatively stress free evening. Not sure Sunday afternoon will be the same.

not so sure about the stress free, I think I've cricked my neck turning around a dozen times to look at the South Stand display in the last 15mins to see how much time was remaining.  PAOK memories die hard.

Edited by O_Kahn

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

UEFA are a disgrace banning Frankfurt fans after they had booked up. They could've easily waited until the next round.

The club also lost money and were punished unfairly after selling tickets.

Fuck UEFA

At least we reached 6 points and took points from each team in the group unlike Hearts last season, who also reached 6 points but only beat RFS twice.

33 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We do lack a bit of physical in presence in midfield. I don't mean Shinnie working his arse off and challenging for tackles that he shouldn't come out on top but a bit of size.

Milne has been brilliant, but obviously not a rb. Doesn't have the desire of Devlin yet, but can't think of many times he's lost the ball. Technically very good.

It won't happen, and probably nobody will agree, but I'd only have Shinnie on the bench on Sunday.

40 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

If we are in a 5-4-1 on Sunday, I think we could benefit from Polvara wide but narrow, getting as close as possible to Miovski (assuming he is fit). His height there just gives the opposition defence something else to think about and can give us an alternative target. I was assuming it would be McGrath, Clarkson, Shinnie and Polvara on Sunday with Miovski ahead, but after Polvara completed the game tonight I'm thinking Robson might go with Miovski and Sokler up front again. 

Agreed on Milne, but it looks like he has the size and technique to potentially settle into two or three positions, which is never going to be a bad thing if it transpires. He doesn't seem to shy away from anything either, which is always a good sign in a young player breaking through.