The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Don’t know what to make of Hacken. Won the Swedish league last year and are currently second with 45 goals in 18 games.

On the other hand, dumped out the Champions League by a Faroese team and Stephen Glass managed a 5-1 win against them just two years ago.

The draw could have been a lot worse anyway.

3 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Zalgiris have a 39 year old Saulius Mikolunas playing for them.

Diving b*****d.

Novikovas on their books as well.

I always want Scottish teams, particularly non OF teams to do well in Europe. Might make an exception here 😜🤣

Häcken would appear to be unpredictably jekyll and hyde.

On the one hand - champions of a relatively strong league, finishing ahead of Malmö and the Stockholm clubs - as well as their city neighbours IFK, who seem a spent force these days.  Second this season just past the midway point.

Then there's a CL qualifier defeat to a side from the Faroes - which is brutal.

They were a bit like that when they played us - there were 20 minute spells at Pittodrie and over there, when they were all over us - but then other parts of the games they looked somewhere between average and inept.

I still think it will be them we play though  - and feels like a 50/50 tie if it is, provided we address a couple of the problem positions in the team by then.

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

On the one hand - champions of a relatively strong league, finishing ahead of Malmö and the Stockholm clubs - as well as their city neighbours IFK, who seem a spent force these days.  Second this season just past the midway point.

They were a bit like that when they played us - there were 20 minute spells at Pittodrie and over there, when they were all over us - but then other parts of the games they looked somewhere between average and inept.

I still think it will be them we play though  - and feels like a 50/50 tie if it is, provided we address a couple of the problem positions in the team by then.

Bookies seem to agree with you. Hacken favourites for the away tie.

image.thumb.png.ad35f4497e7b1045f25168bb1cc98589.png

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Although Zalagris knocked out Malmö last season with victories in the home and away legs so maybe Malmö are having a poor spell.

22 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Don’t know what to make of Hacken. Won the Swedish league last year and are currently second with 45 goals in 18 games.

On the other hand, dumped out the Champions League by a Faroese team

20 hours ago, tarapoa said:

In fairness there was an interesting story on the Faroese team that suggests they are catching European teams by surprise, so it may say more about the improvement of this Faroese team than how poor Hacken are. In the round prior to Hacken they beat Ferencvaros. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66405575

22 hours ago, 2426255 said:

In fairness there was an interesting story on the Faroese team that suggests they are catching European teams by surprise, so it may say more about the improvement of this Faroese team than how poor Hacken are. In the round prior to Hacken they beat Ferencvaros. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66405575

I saw yesterday that KI Klaksvik won their first leg against Molde. That's a result which builds the case that this Faroese team are better than the normal standard from that country. It also adds evidence that Hacken also aren't necessarily Jeckyl and Hyde but were maybe (dare I say it) just beaten by a better side and a fairly good side at that. 

I watched Aberdeen scud BK Häcken a few years ago with JET up front ffs. Surely they haven’t got that good since then?

Never in a million years would I envisage BK Häcken ever being at this sort of level since they dumped us out of Europe in 2007. There was about 50 of their fans in the home end in Sweden and they had just got relegated from the top league (qualified via UEFA’s Fair Play) It was absolutely bizarre seeing such a tinpot outfit play in Europe from a good footballing nation (had to be moved to Ullevi as well) and we c*nted it 🤣 Don’t be like us Dons ffs and just smash them. 

30 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I watched Aberdeen scud BK Häcken a few years ago with JET up front ffs. Surely they haven’t got that good since then?

Never in a million years would I envisage BK Häcken ever being at this sort of level since they dumped us out of Europe in 2007. There was about 50 of their fans in the home end in Sweden and they had just got relegated from the top league (qualified via UEFA’s Fair Play) It was absolutely bizarre seeing such a tinpot outfit play in Europe from a good footballing nation (had to be moved to Ullevi as well) and we c*nted it 🤣 Don’t be like us Dons ffs and just smash them. 

Enough about Dunfermline, what can you tell us about Häcken?