The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Still spewing this morning, especially when I reflect back on the whole group campaign so far. The very soft pen we conceded in Frankfurt (compare that to the one not given last night), the criminal fluffed chances against Helsinki, and now last night. With a fair wind and a bit more composure, we could have been in a much better position in this group. 

Just watched last nights highlights. FFsake. PAOK had chucked it - they looked like they just wanted the game to end until we made those subs.

The first goal started with a really clumsy touch from McGrath in midfield. A wee flick around the corner from Samatta takes Rubi and Shinnie out the game and Konsta'hingmy is bearing down on Jensen. I guess you could have looked for Shinnie or Gartenmann to take one for the team early before Konsta is near the box. Jensen's slip is horrible timing.

There is zero pressure on the PAOK players lining up the cross for the second. It is a colossal howler from Hayes though. He is under no pressure at all and decides to do some press ups whilst heading that ball straight to Freitas. Massive, massive brain fart from our most experienced player.

The pen is just standard Rubi stupidity. There was just no need to even challenge there as he was never getting the ball - just stay touch tight and keep your shape ya tattie head gype.

Pre VAR the Mackenzie penalty incident could understandably be missed by the ref. But I agree with the view that with VAR it is inexcusable for that not to get a second look. Baffling and probably very costly. Can Robson also expect a fine for slating it in his presser?

The PAOK players will be p1shing themselves laughing on the way home at how we gift wrapped that for them.

On 04/10/2023 at 21:52, Melanius Mullarkay said:

So close. 90+6

😂

On 04/10/2023 at 21:58, Dons_1988 said:

That is a real, real shame

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

On 04/10/2023 at 22:13, Jacksgranda said:

Ducks Laughing GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

So close you say, 96 mins you say, ye, a real real shame.  😂😂😂

Edited by Drew Brees

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

So close you say, 96 mins you say, ye, a real real shame.  😂😂😂

Life comes at you fast :lol:

18 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

What?

99% of us are gutted you fucked it up so badly/got VARred.

As much as I did want Aberdeen to get a result as soon as I heard there was a penalty check right at the end I couldn't help but start laughing.

Edited by gannonball

3 hours ago, AJF said:

That’s a sare wan.

While I think the penalty being branded a stonewaller is a little strong, it’s still clearly a foul, IMO. In today’s VAR era of the game, you’d expect that to be given 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Make it 10 out of 10 and I'll agree with you. Blatant kick of McKenzie's leg without touching the ball. Unbelievable. 

10 hours ago, HibsFan said:

The biggest load of shite I have ever heard a manager come out with in my life, and I've spent the last year listening to Lee Johnson. :lol:

Kicked in his door, aye? Raging at his mistake was he, aye?

Borrie Rubsen is not long for the dugout, and that is another HibsFan promise that you can take to the bank.

If you think he's so bad, surely you'd want him to stay?

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Make it 10 out of 10 and I'll agree with you. Blatant kick of McKenzie's leg without touching the ball. Unbelievable. 

I’ve now watched the highlights and I’d like to ask the question. 
Was there a VAR check on the penalty claim? 
If there was a VAR check I do find it incredible that the referee was not asked to review the TV monitor. 
Definitely a penalty in my book.