Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

9 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Like you’ve never made a mistake when typing something out before. 

Ach dinna be such a bairn. It was a funny typo.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I don't think moving the only decent right back to a new position is the best idea tbh 

We have Patterson.

People are suggesting we move our best centerback (who is a left back) to  right wingback.

People are suggesting we go back a formation that was a total and complete failure for 18 years and ditch a formation that has brought us to two tournaments out of three.

The center of the park is the battlefield and where a match is won and lost.

We need our best players in the middle and we need a balance in the middle.

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He's been in the job 5 years, an achievement in itself. The grass isn't always greener. I doubt he'll do another 5, so I think keeping an eye on it is fair and reasonable. I think it's more about when he's had enough or wants to try something else rather than us 'upgrading'.

I agree with that. I just hear from other posts and assumption that we're somehow underachieving with this team and that we "should", with the talent available, be aiming higher than merely being there. I would obviously love us to achieve more, but we have much wider problems than who picks the team. 

We have a dreadful culture of diet and fitness in this country and until we change that (and participation in sport generally rather than just football) then we're always going to be looking on as teams like Germany wipe the floor with us.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

I just hear from other posts and assumption that we're somehow underachieving with this team and that we "should", with the talent available, be aiming higher than merely being there. 

Aye tell me about it. 

30 minutes ago, velo army said:

I agree with that. I just hear from other posts and assumption that we're somehow underachieving with this team and that we "should", with the talent available, be aiming higher than merely being there. I would obviously love us to achieve more, but we have much wider problems than who picks the team. 

We have a dreadful culture of diet and fitness in this country and until we change that (and participation in sport generally rather than just football) then we're always going to be looking on as teams like Germany wipe the floor with us.

Ban the PlayStations IMO. 

35 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

We have Patterson.

People are suggesting we move our best centerback (who is a left back) to  right wingback.

People are suggesting we go back a formation that was a total and complete failure for 18 years and ditch a formation that has brought us to two tournaments out of three.

Patterson is shite.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Im hoping for del boy McInnis. 442, little and large up top, man to man marking and a team of absolute grafters.

Pin the ball up near the corner flag and play for second balls. Graft, Thunder, blood and guts. No fancy crap. Robbie Deas, Danny Armstrong and we could find big Kyle Vassell a scottish granny. Pot-1 here we come.

Sounds like Ireland in ( early ) Jack Charlton days

They were successful though 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Clarke has done as well as any Scotland manager and we have had some great ones over the years, but ultimately none of them have managed to progress beyond the group stages and with far far better players at their disposal. 

If/when he goes we should at least look beyond this country for a coach who can progress our game. 

Berti Vogts was over 20 years ago and he inherited the worst Scotland set up there has ever been. I doubt many managers could have turned that around and he still got us to a play off. 

I think we should be at least open to a foreign coach. Berti was a long time ago and as much of a disaster as he was, I don’t think the SFA should permanently swear themselves off from foreign coaches. Having said that, the outstanding candidate at the moment is a Scot. 

1 minute ago, LondonHMFC said:

Not a hope in hell Moyes takes the Scotland job, still got a good few years at club level (most likely for another EPL side).

Moyes is 61 and has said he wants to manage Scotland one day. He’s also unemployed. He would take it in a heartbeat.

Bottom line, if it's either stick with Steve Clarke (and keep the trio system at the back) or bring in a new manager who rips up Clarke's blueprints and switches to a back four like Vogts did

I'd stick with Steve Clarke. Easily.

However, if the choice is to bring in a new manager (foreign or domestic) who would keep with the trio at the back, then I would reconsider.

I would definitely welcome a foreign manager. I'd want the best manager available.

Steve Clarke's contract will expire at the end of the next World Cup, so it's moot... unless he quits.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Clarke has done as well as any Scotland manager and we have had some great ones over the years, but ultimately none of them have managed to progress beyond the group stages and with far far better players at their disposal. 

If/when he goes we should at least look beyond this country for a coach who can progress our game. 

Berti Vogts was over 20 years ago and he inherited the worst Scotland set up there has ever been. I doubt many managers could have turned that around and he still got us to a play off. 

Just with regards to Berti the 6 - 0 cuffing by the Dutch , complete with an unsuccessful formation from ourselves , was a forerunner to 5 - 1

and we had beaten them at Hampden !

which is another point

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

He’ll play inverted RB eventually, you just don’t play with an inverter in a back three shape. The next evolution of this team is playing 4-3-3 without the ball that morphs into a 3-2-4-1 with the ball. Hickey and Gilmour will be the pivot. It probably requires either dropping one of Robertson or Tierney or playing Robertson further forward. Doak coming into the team will help with this as well.

In a few years time I could see us having a lineup of something like

Gunn

Hickey - Porteous - Hendry - Tierney

McTominay - Gilmour - McGinn

Doak - Adams - Robertson

That’s our off the ball shape, and then Hickey inverts into a double pivot with Gilmour when we have the ball, then the four man midfield of Doak-McT-McGinn-Robertson is the support of Che Adams.

Happy with that central defence  ?

I know they kept a clean sheet v. Ukraine 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

We have Patterson.

Patterson may eventually develop in to a decent one but he's still much the same player for me that broke in to Rangers team years ago but hasn't added much to his game since. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on him anyway any time soon.

I also wouldn't say Tierney isn't our best CB either. I say this as an absolute Tierney fan boy but as soon as we talk about going to two CB's he almost drops out of the equation.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Does this apply to our current team now though? Most of our team are at the highest level and have the same approach to diet and  training as the German players will have. I know for a fact that a couple of our regular starters haven’t touched a drink in their lives and we’ve a few who came through English elite academies where the old Scottish diet/bevvy culture thing wouldn’t have applied to them.

There’s a couple of notable exceptions in the squad it does probably apply to but by and large, players in Scottish academies have their heads screwed on far more when it comes to that stuff now imo. 

5 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Does this apply to our current team now though? Most of our team are at the highest level and have the same approach to diet and  training as the German players will have. I know for a fact that a couple of our regular starters haven’t touched a drink in their lives and we’ve a few who came through English elite academies where the old Scottish diet/bevvy culture thing wouldn’t have applied to them.

There’s a couple of notable exceptions in the squad it does probably apply to but by and large, players in Scottish academies have their heads screwed on far more when it comes to that stuff now imo. 

Robbo isn't a teetotaler and McGinn doesn't strike me as one who follows a Ronaldoesque approach to diet. I remember also the Aberdeen youth team players would often come into TGIs and order the utter shite we had. 

I'm talking about the country as a whole and not just about this team. I appreciate that change is happening and , for instance, you're getting more fit and active 40 year olds now and folk take it more seriously, so there is probably more room for optimism than I'm allowing.

56 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Patterson may eventually develop in to a decent one but he's still much the same player for me that broke in to Rangers team years ago but hasn't added much to his game since. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on him anyway any time soon.

I also wouldn't say Tierney isn't our best CB either. I say this as an absolute Tierney fan boy but as soon as we talk about going to two CB's he almost drops out of the equation.

He needs a manager who can guide him and develop him. Robertson had Marco Sila and Jurgen Klopp. Two progressive managers. Patterson has Dyche...

The wordsmith up there called him "shite". With some football fans there's only world class and "shite". There is no grey area.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. I don't think there's much really. Hanley, Cooper and McKenna have flirted with the EPL and Hendry, Souttar and Porteous will probably never get to that stage.

Wether we play 2 at the back, 5 at the back or 10 at the back Tierney is our best CB and it isn’t even close. 

Just because he’s not a natural CB doesn’t mean he’s not better than others who are ‘natural’ CB’s. 

Any manager we get who wants to play football from this century will keep playing KT centrally as long as Robertson is fit and available. 

2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Bottom line, if it's either stick with Steve Clarke (and keep the trio system at the back) or bring in a new manager who rips up Clarke's blueprints and switches to a back four like Vogts did

I'd stick with Steve Clarke. Easily.

However, if the choice is to bring in a new manager (foreign or domestic) who would keep with the trio at the back, then I would reconsider.

I would definitely welcome a foreign manager. I'd want the best manager available.

Steve Clarke's contract will expire at the end of the next World Cup, so it's moot... unless he quits.

You keep going on about different formations as if it’s a negative or as if whatever formation we line up in is the most important thing and that managers can’t play different shapes. 

It’s the style of play, coaching and player selection that will determine how we play and approach games. 

Edited by Kadouken_