Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

3 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Bringing on Ferguson tonight and against Switzerland over Armstrong and McLean respectively would have been much more effective in either game.

Dykes would have definitely stared against Germany given it’s pretty obvious Clark was aiming to set up similar to the Spain game at Hampden, his physicality would have given the Germany defence more to think about.

Yes Hickey and Patterson is only losing ‘1 player from out starting 11’ but as I’ve said that’s both our starting right backs and puts us down to a compete haddy like Ralton, as said most nations would see some drop off going down to their third choice right back. 

I don't disagree on the first point, but I just don't think Clarke would have brought him on - therefore he was no loss. If we need to shore things up it's McLean, if we need to create something it's Armstrong - that's Clarke's answers. Ferguson wouldn't have got a look in.

On Dykes, he may have, away from home I think he may have gone for Adams thinking we'd get them on the counter. Would have made no difference anyway.

My point is that people are making out like his team has been decimated by injuries, he's had to find 1 solution - how to plug the right back area. Of course the options are limited, but Patterson has been dreadful in recent games for Scotland too so once Hickey was out we were struggling in that position. But that's basically it, it would be a hell of a push for Clarke to claim that performances like tonight or against Germany were due to having a couple of right backs injured.

2 minutes ago, Acastus said:

You are right mate. I dont know how people as long in the tooth like Clarke can be so naive and can't see what is needed or at least we need to try something different. 

The thing is I’ve been quite happy with Clarke for the most part but it’s like he hasn’t learned that we cannot always been some passive attacking wise , I don’t see that changing . Terrible first game, vastly improved second game and when it comes to the crunch he just does not grasp that chance . 

if we had a go tonight and lost I don’t think many would complain too much 

19 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Bringing on Ferguson tonight and against Switzerland over Armstrong and McLean respectively would have been much more effective in either game.

Dykes would have definitely stared against Germany given it’s pretty obvious Clark was aiming to set up similar to the Spain game at Hampden, his physicality would have given the Germany defence more to think about.

Yes Hickey and Patterson is only losing ‘1 player from out starting 11’ but as I’ve said that’s both our starting right backs and puts us down to a compete haddy like Ralton, as said most nations would see some drop off going down to their third choice right back. 

Ferguson hasn’t even played 100 minutes of competitive football under Clarke. 

Thinking him being injured is some sort of excuse for our failure is extreme straw clutching. 

9 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Where’s the numbers guy to tell us that actually no - we haven’t been worryingly shite for months and actually we’re all just thickos who don’t understand football?

priceless.gif

Would have posted the Gyles Brandeth 'numberwank' gif here but sadly couldn't find it - would have been most appropriate however!

Not sure how much more I need to say tbh

Huge opportunity, blown by conservatism 

Grand Old Duke of York tactics

Time for us to move on

*I am absolutely ragin btw 

14 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Could it be that they are simply set up better? 

Absolutely. They are also out the competition barring some miracle but they've looked like scoring in every game, we haven't. 

2 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

I haven’t listened to a thing post match and I can’t bring myself to

I'm usually the same but I'm just looking to find out if I'm deluded in what my thoughts were on the match

I watched the game in mixed company with some women that know very little about football and a couple of them were shouting at the tele about how negative the team was - 'Why do they keep passing the ball backwards?'

I've never experienced anything like this ever before.

1 hour ago, David1979 said:

The one thing we can do in international football is appoint an international coach. There isn't a Scottish birth certificate or Scottish granny needed to manage the team.

We should be getting the chequebook out and looking to entice a proper coach to take the job.

And, I know, Berti Vogts. I keep hearing about him every time a foreign manager is mentioned. That was 22 years ago. 

Anyone suggesting we can't go foreign again because we once had a dud foreigner before, would surely also have to argue that we should never, ever go Scottish again.

16 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Where’s the numbers guy to tell us that actually no - we haven’t been worryingly shite for months and actually we’re all just thickos who don’t understand football?

Rest assured, there’s no chance of Clarke getting sacked. The lads at the SFA can’t possibly question someone with more managerial experience than them!

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Anyone suggesting we can't go foreign again because we once had a dud foreigner before, would surely also have to argue that we should never, ever go Scottish again.

well, it's either a furriner or Davie Moyes. 

Unless Yogi fancies it... 

5 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

Thinking him being injured is some sort of excuse for our failure is extreme straw clutching. 

The lack of gametime for Ferguson before his injury should be categorised in the long list of other failures with Clarke. Remember numberwang telling me Clarke has given him plenty of game time bla bla bla, who does he replace bla bla bla. Well for me, he would be a straight replacement for one of our CB's and putting another midfielder in. 

Well surely after another bitterly disappointing performance tonight, our system needs a revamp since we are very one dimensional and many teams now have completely sussed us out and know how to defend against us. This is not a knee jerk, several of us have been saying this in the past year yet we can't seem to adapt. 

4 minutes ago, Moonboot said:

I watched the game in mixed company with some women that know very little about football and a couple of them were shouting at the tele about how negative the team was - 'Why do they keep passing the ball backwards?'

I've never experienced anything like this ever before.

I watched the Holland v France and Spain v Italy games on Thursday and Friday, turned both off at half time as they were full of 'safe' sidewards and backwards football. 

If it wasn't for the fact tonight was a Scotland game, I'd likely have done the same. 

12 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

Ferguson alone isn’t, as said all 4 could be especially two first choice right backs part.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Ferguson alone isn’t, as said all 4 could be especially two first choice right backs part.

We had one starter missing.