Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 minute ago, SH Panda said:

Oh so you're going to keep posting then?

That's cool, bash on.

Meanwhile it can be our secret whether the tense confused you or if you didn't know Le Normand or Laporte were french.

I don't judge you for it.

Already looking forward to your next insightful post on this thread.

"Le" Normand and "La"porte are French, no way man that's amazing. Wow you know your stuff

Passion

Integrity 

Openness 

Might be some of the buzzwords of "an ideal employer" across all sectors of life. 

Arguably Clarke passes line one. 

However on lines two and three.....

In a parallel universe, I'd describe him as a clown, except, at a certain level, clowns do "entertain".....

Why he hasn't walked or been punted yet is absolutely bewildering.

Aye the euros wasn't great but I don't think you can pinpoint it all on the manager, end of the day the players have to take a lot of the responsibility of why we failed along with Clarke. 

Personally couldn't care if he stayed or went at this point, he has enough credit in the bank to lead us to another campaign but I would want to see him adapt his tactics, shape, formation, whatever you want to call it these days.

I was pleased he was aiming to take Doak along to the euros alongside the likes of Morgan and Conway (albeit should of been named in original squad). I'm hoping he has learned a lot from the Hungary game in particular that can help this team in the future and learn not to be so fucking defensive at times and learn how to break the opposition down if theyre parking the bus.

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

I'm hoping he has learned a lot from the Hungary game in particular that can help this team in the future and learn not to be so fucking defensive at times and learn how to break the opposition down if theyre parking the bus.

You'd hope so but history would suggest he has not.

2 hours ago, Dan Electro said:

Passion

Integrity 

Openness 

Might be some of the buzzwords of "an ideal employer" across all sectors of life. 

Arguably Clarke passes line one. 

However on lines two and three.....

In a parallel universe, I'd describe him as a clown, except, at a certain level, clowns do "entertain".....

Why he hasn't walked or been punted yet is absolutely bewildering.

I have no particular fondness for the SFA, but reading through a lot of the comments it makes me glad it's them that will decide. There is always an explosion if things don't go as fans want them to. A toys out the pram scenario because they haven't got what they wanted and so the blame game begins. You see it everywhere at club level or the England fans are a perfect example. It's rancid and childlike behaviour in my opinion.

The players and management weren't trying to let us down. They weren't taking the piss out of us. Fans are absolute chaos.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I have no particular fondness for the SFA, but reading through a lot of the comments it makes me glad it's them that will decide. There is always an explosion if things don't go as fans want them to. A toys out the pram scenario because they haven't got what they wanted and so the blame game begins. You see it everywhere at club level or the England fans are a perfect example. It's rancid and childlike behaviour in my opinion.

The players and management weren't trying to let us down. They weren't taking the piss out of us. Fans are absolute chaos.

You'll always have your malcontents and your happy-clappers. Neither group is worth taking too seriously as they're always scrambling around to make the same point.

One win in about a dozen games is good enough reason for more moderate fans take a far more critical view of the manager, where we are, and where we currently should be.

I think whether we like it or not (and I don't particularly) Clarke is going to be in charge for the nations league games. Home wins against Poland and Croatia keep him in the job. Anything less and I think you'll see the fans voting with their feet, and then the inevitable dillydallying by the blazers as Hampden gradually becomes an empty shell again.

2 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Austria topped their group and we have people saying we're too wee, too shite too stupid to put up a fight against the likes of Hungary.

No wonder we shat it against Independence.

Georgia are beating Portugal right now. 

Even if they end up losing they'll have had more of a go at this tournament than we managed. 

3 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Even if they end up losing they'll have had more of a go at this tournament than we managed. 

Starting to think our qualification campaign was some massive glitch in the matrix. How did we finish 9 points ahead of them?

But then again Georgia are in a potential fight for their existence right now. In contrast, as Theroadlesstravelled points out, to our shrug shoulders attitude to our identity.

(yeah I brought politics into it, f*cking bite me)

29 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Yup, they could end up getting pumped but they've at least played football here and not utterly shat themselves. 

Even if they lose they'll be able to look back on their games and have regrets about their efforts. They, like quite a few other teams, have raised their game at this tournament. Scotland dramatically lowered their game as well as being the biggest cowards at there (maybe even the only cowards there).

5 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Aye the euros wasn't great but I don't think you can pinpoint it all on the manager, end of the day the players have to take a lot of the responsibility of why we failed along with Clarke. 

Personally couldn't care if he stayed or went at this point, he has enough credit in the bank to lead us to another campaign but I would want to see him adapt his tactics, shape, formation, whatever you want to call it these days.

I was pleased he was aiming to take Doak along to the euros alongside the likes of Morgan and Conway (albeit should of been named in original squad). I'm hoping he has learned a lot from the Hungary game in particular that can help this team in the future and learn not to be so fucking defensive at times and learn how to break the opposition down if theyre parking the bus.

Agreed

but you forgot injuries !

38 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Austria topped their group and we have people saying we're too wee, too shite too stupid to put up a fight against the likes of Hungary.

No wonder we shat it against Independence.

Inevitably when it's brought up there'll be folk saying "yeah but what about Wales and Northern Ireland? They did fine when they got to a major tournament", but our weird status playing as a non-sovereign nation has consequences.

29 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

Starting to think our qualification campaign was some massive glitch in the matrix. How did we finish 9 points ahead of them?

But then again Georgia are in a potential fight for their existence right now. In contrast, as Theroadlesstravelled points out, to our shrug shoulders attitude to our identity.

(yeah I brought politics into it, f*cking bite me)

Because Georgia are a very mediocre team. We have better players and should be finishing above them.

Whether they hold on or not, they've turned up at this tournament and played above themselves (something we've literally never done).

That and, let's be honest, they got an easy group and are having a crack at a Portugal team who've already secured 1st place and made 8 changes to the team that skelped Turkey.

Edited by Gordon EF

8 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Agreed

Injuries of course were an issue, I'd be very surprised If every team at the tournament didn't have at least a couple of players missing. Yet no other teams played so scared to go forward.

Adding Hickey and Patterson we would have been better. But we would still have set up like negative Norman's and got pumped.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

I've missed a lot of this tournament, including our game against Hungary, but I've seen everyone at least once and it really does look like we produced the worst performances out of everyone. I don't think that's over-exaggeration this time.

Steve Clarke won't be going anywhere before the World Cup qualifiers, but he really needs to work on bringing other players into the squad - not to replace his first-choice team altogether, but to have more experienced options for when they're injured, out of form, or just tired. I don't think he'll experiment much with tactics, which is a big problem now as he's had no answers to our porous defence in the past year, and if McGinn and McTominay aren't scoring then neither is the team.

The idea at the moment appears to be just carrying on as-is and hoping we find our way back to form eventually  :shutup

5 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Agreed

For me, I didn't think Injuries should be highlighted as a particular big reason why we failed. The players brought in are playing at a good level plus there are  worse teams than us in these euros that have outperformed Scotland including the likes of Georgia who could end up going through in their group tonight. The failures were down to how we played tactically and not being able to create many chances whilst also shipping stupid goals and out of form players that couldn't deliver for us

12 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

For me, I didn't think Injuries should be highlighted as a particular big reason why we failed. The players brought in are playing at a good level plus there are  worse teams than us in these euros that have outperformed Scotland including the likes of Georgia who could end up going through in their group tonight. The failures were down to how we played tactically and not being able to create many chances whilst also shipping stupid goals and out of form players that couldn't deliver for us

Does anyone know if the other teams in the group were at full strength? Perhaps it could have been worse if they had their full teams out.

I can say for sure that Hungary scored against us without their main striker.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

The "shipping stupid goals" thing has been going on for about a year now and is showing no signs of stopping. Major problem as we're reliant on the midfield to score ourselves. Not conceding at least two is an achievement now.

I can only assume that the opposition have us sussed, so surely we need to make changes again.