2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

Just now, Dav nan Gael said:

Nairn and Locos all but propping up the table lol 🫣

Who would hav thought it.......?

Great start by BoD and a few others .

Unfortunately that shower just west of Cullen keep getting out of jail..........   

Nairn are toothless up front.  They'll be down there come the end of the season.

Apart from Buckie away on 30/09, Nairn have a fairly kind looking run of fixtures from now until November, so it'll be very concerning if we are still propping up the league by then.

I was hopeful that the new signings would have strengthened the squad, as the only releases were peripheral players that rarely featured, but none of the new signings except for Andrew Macleod have looked the part so far. I think it also might be a season too far for Tokely and Gethins as regular starters. Andrew Greig being out long term is a huge loss, as a lot of Nairn's goals last season were created by him.

I see Lochee Utd are flying in the Midlands League, fairly certain that if that continues they will jog past any NCL or NJ opposition if at all there is any playoffs there and onto a playoff against the bottom side in the HL. Could be another HL club dropping out end of season.

Any predictions so far for whom it could be?

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Apart from Buckie away on 30/09, Nairn have a fairly kind looking run of fixtures from now until November, so it'll be very concerning if we are still propping up the league by then.

I was hopeful that the new signings would have strengthened the squad, as the only releases were peripheral players that rarely featured, but none of the new signings except for Andrew Macleod have looked the part so far. I think it also might be a season too far for Tokely and Gethins as regular starters. Andrew Greig being out long term is a huge loss, as a lot of Nairn's goals last season were created by him.

Gethins was like playing with a man down on Wednesday against Rothes.  Everything bounced off him and he spent most of the game pointing and shouting at his teammates.  His teammates creating absolutely nothing for him didn't help, I suppose. It was a carbon copy of his performance against Drumchapel in the cup last season.  I think Father Time has definitely caught up with him and Tokely.  Gethins is 40 this year I believe, and it shows.

2 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

I see Lochee Utd are flying in the Midlands League, fairly certain that if that continues they will jog past any NCL or NJ opposition if at all there is any playoffs there and onto a playoff against the bottom side in the HL. Could be another HL club dropping out end of season.

No one in the NJ is licensed so if Lochee win the league it'll be a straight play off with the bottom of the HL unless either of the licenced NCL teams (Fort and Golspie) win the league.

Bottom of the HL?  Strathspey, Nairn or Lossie imo.

17 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

shambles that the bottom club get off with a playoff. 

Strathspey are playing Nairn, Wick, Lossie and Inverurie in fairly quick succession soon, so that should be a decent litmus test on how much they have improved. A couple of wins for them will certainly be causing twitchy arsechecks in boardrooms elsewhere.

Clach could be in the mix if they don't get their mojo together, along with a handful of others. Strathspey have started the season with Forres, Formartine, Brora and Banks O' Dee so it's not surprising they haven't any points yet, and no double figure losses either. I don't think they'll be this season's automatic lemmings.

P.S. And what @Sherrif John Bunnell said! :lol:

No team has dropped points to Lossie and gone on to win the league since Clach lost at the Ferry San Giro in January 2005 to a Stuart Strathdee howitzer, so that’s Brora down for another 30 meaningless pre-season games ahead of restarting next July. Unlucks. Brora are now tucked in nicely in the Zone of Indifference with Charlie Bangers Circus and Formartine, teams with the league beyond them and relegation unlikely (even for CBC) leaving them with nowt to play for and squads of players who are difficult to motivate.

Nairn started like this last season and recovered, although it was later uncovered the players were doing it deliberately to get their then-management team the sack. 

11 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

What happens if Elgin go down and are replaced by a LL team? Would 2 teams be relegated or would the league increase in size?

19 teams in the HL

image.gif.e08c7a96aea52ad23a0c76dbf21ddaad.gif

and someone gets to play a friendly against ICT U18s on their free weekend.

A young Vale side put to the sword in emphatic style...........they'll have learnt a lot from both the recent games vs the Broch. 

They've started the league campaign well,hopefully they can keep up the good work there and learn from yesterday's mauling.

2 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

A young Vale side put to the sword in emphatic style...........they'll have learnt a lot from both the recent games vs the Broch. 

They've started the league campaign well,hopefully they can keep up the good work there and learn from yesterday's mauling.

Here’s hoping.

Going to be tight at the bottom again.