2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

We did a little preview for the upcoming season. 

https://parkthebusfitbapodcast.buzzsprout.com/1595431/13243779-2023-24-highland-league-10-min

For transparency we don't know too much about the Highland League but are always trying to learn and take a lot from here and twitter and knowledge of players who have moved up north from the SPFL/LL etc. We appreciate any feedback etc to improve 

17 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I'm concerned you could probably add Wick to the candidates for the lower reaches of the HL.

They struggled for numbers last season, had to field trialists to fulfil fixtures in the second half of the season but seem to have recruited ok in the summer, I think they'll probably be clear of the danger zone.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Only two games gone in Midlands but I think HFL teams will need to be wary that bottom spot is meaningful this year.

Which teams have a decent chance of getting licensed and in the mix?

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

Which teams have a decent chance of getting licensed and in the mix?

Obviously ourselves & Tayport are already licensed. Other than that I know North End, Broughty & Carnoustie are all going for licensing. Although I don't know how long they all need, I assume North End are the closest in terms of ground requirements.

At the moment only Tayport, Lochee United, Fort William and Golspie can be promoted.

No one in the North Region Premier League is licensed.  I have no idea how close Culter are but they seem to be the big boys in that league now that BoD are in the HL. So they may look or be looking into it.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

At the moment only Tayport, Lochee United, Fort William and Golspie can be promoted.

No one in the North Region Premier League is licensed.  I have no idea how close Culter are but they seem to be the big boys in that league now that BoD are in the HL. So they may look or be looking into it.

I read somewhere that Culter aren't interested, in the immediate future anyway. Dyce are probably closest.

P.S. Found it..

No rush to move up the pyramid
Despite their dominance this season, Culter are in no rush to follow Banks o’ Dee into the Highland League.

Thomson said: “Financially we are not ready for it.

“It would be a big step up. It took Banks o’ Dee six or seven years to get ready.

“It would cost the club a minimum of £120,000 to get an SFA club licence which you require and that would involve things such as installing floodlights, upgrading dressing rooms and improving disabled facilities.

“Then it would be a question of whether the players and the committee are up for it with the travelling costs.

“It would be a huge step up so for the time-being we will enjoy ourselves in the juniors.

“There are one or two clubs who are looking at moving up to the Highland League.

“I think our friends at Dyce are the closest to it. They have been building up their club. They have put in floodlights and they are away to put in a stand.

“To get up you need to win the league first and that is the hardest part.

“If we get more success we might have the hunger to do it but that would be more of a longer term plan.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/5764099/culter-fc-president-memorable-campaign/

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Obviously ourselves & Tayport are already licensed. Other than that I know North End, Broughty & Carnoustie are all going for licensing. Although I don't know how long they all need, I assume North End are the closest in terms of ground requirements.

I dont think DNE have the required changing facilities yet. They were looking to adopt the changing rooms at Fairmuir Park at one point.

6 hours ago, Marten said:

Downfield are the obvious absentee from that list amongst the likely title contenders, who unlike East Craigie should already be able to tick a lot of boxes with their ground. Vaguely remember them having a new player manager a season or two back, who soon left, who was talking about possible promotion to the Highland League in a newspaper article.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think Lochee Utd would currently be strong favourites for the Midlands. 

Surprised to see chat of any strong favourite given the competitive nature of that league and Lochee's record of Jim McInally-esque failures to get over the line. 

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I'm not convinced there'll be any licenced clubs imminently in the North Juniors. I can see Dyce doing a bit more work over the next few years, but a licence would be a few years down the line, at least. I was speaking to someone at Culter last year and the impression I got was that they're not presently looking at licencing, but they weren't against the idea - I think they hadn't really explored the idea.

Edited by Cyclizine

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Downfield are the obvious absentee from that list amongst the likely title contenders, who unlike East Craigie should already be able to tick a lot of boxes with their ground. Vaguely remember them having a new player manager a season or two back, who soon left, who was talking about possible promotion to the Highland League in a newspaper article.

They were taken over by an ammies team and arent anywhere near having the administrative setup to go for a license.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Surprised to see chat of any strong favourite given the competitive nature of that league and Lochee's record of Jim McInally-esque failures to get over the line. 

Bobby Linn tho 

10 hours ago, virginton said:

Failures to get over the line? The last 2 seasons we weren't really close while the last normal season before that (ignoring the 2 covid-disrupted seasons) we won the title and never looked like struggling to get it over the line.

We are a lot stronger than last season (and for plenty more reasons than just Bobby Linn) so it's logical to expect an improvement our end. Not saying we'll just win the title as there is strong opposition but it makes sense to label us (one of) the big favourites.