2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

Latest Episodes. We spoke for so long we split it in 2.

Part 2 starts with the Highland League then goes into South of Scotland and East of Scotland

https://parkthebusfitbawpodcast.buzzsprout.com/1595431/13489342-non-league-round-up-episode-3-part-2

(Part 1 has Lowland League and West of Scotland League if you are interested)

https://parkthebusfitbawpodcast.buzzsprout.com/1595431/13489329-non-league-round-up-episode-3-part-1

Fair result at PRP today. Forres goal looked offside, was a decent game. Was end to end with both teams pushing for a winner. Our keeper pulled off a great save near the end, Vale had two great chances in injury time to win the game. Decent result after last weeks mauling.

Edited by Vale Vale Vale

I was at Nairn v Strathspey yesterday to watch a boy I work with play, otherwise it would've been Clach v Fraserburgh. 

Strathy were miles the better side in the first half and had it not been for poor finishing whilst through 1 on 1, they would've been 2 or 3 up at half time. 

Nairn must've got a rocket up their arse at half time as they looked a different side and as soon as they got their first, the Strathy players head's dropped and you knew more goals were coming. 

Strathy aren't a bad side, they certainly don't look any worse than Clach or Nairn footballing wise, they certainly were the better side in the first half, I think the difference is there's a bit of fight in those 2 sides when they lose a goal. As soon as Strathy one, it's a question of how many. 

Played well first half, gave away a soft goal just before half time then gave away another soft goal for Formartines second, after that we caved in. Ref only played 46 minutes first half, stopped for 5 minutes for cooling period due to heat, did the ref start the game early? Had us Vale supporters baffled at half time.

I was at Clach v Formartine yesterday. You can see why they're top of the league. Solid at the back and lethal in front of goal. Especially the boy Wade. His first goal was a great strike. 

Formartine didn’t look like like a whole lot of anything at Lossie last month. Wade stood out a bit but more due to his physicality and ability to hold up the ball in the corner in the last ten minutes than anything else. 

Not convinced they’ve the legs for it, TBH. They almost never do. 

I'm not saying they're going to win the league, Brechin obviously will, but you can see why they're top. Some of their goals would've been scored against most sides yesterday, not just a poor Clach side. 

Locos are stuck in some weird zone of irrelevance - no chance of winning the league, no chance of going down (probably) - and I’d guess motivation is a problem along with some terrible personnel decisions across the past two summers. Letting Neil Gauld go to Banks O’ Dee where he had a rare time was a spectacular f**k-up on their part. 

The natives aren’t quite restless but there’s been more than a few murmurs of discontent in the past week or so. 

On 17/09/2023 at 09:27, TheScarf said:

I was at Clach v Formartine yesterday. You can see why they're top of the league. Solid at the back and lethal in front of goal. Especially the boy Wade. His first goal was a great strike. 

Did they strengthen much during pre-season? They looked awfully weak when we beat them 6-1 in a PSF and according to some of the Formartine people I spoke to that day, they were playing their strongest XI.

Obviously, a PSF doesn't necessarily say much. We lost 2-0 to Hermes and are unbeaten top of the league. But I was just wondering.