2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A Buckie director told me last year that Peterhead and Cove directors warned him that visiting officials get lousy hospitality in the SPFL compared to the Highland League and he had no interest in promotion.

It must be  nice to know your directors' priorities ...

5 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

It must be  nice to know your directors' priorities ...

I haven't met a Buckie fan who wants to go up either. 

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

The other half of the country seem to have even more reason to be fearful:. the four south clubs relegated to the LL so far have just finished 9th, 10th, 13th and 14th.

The other side of it is that 3 promoted clubs finished in the top 8 in the LL and a further 2 are already in the SPFL. Clubs finding their level both up and down.

But Brechin shouldn't fit, having spent much of the last 20 years yoyoing between level 2 and 3 before their hitting-every-branch-on-the-way-down nosedive into the HL quicksand. It's ironic that Cove Rangers are almost a like for like replacement so far in their short history in the SPFL.

12 hours ago, greendot said:

The Highland league - sponsored by comedy central!

What’s it got to do with HL. They did their job and facilitated a HL champion in time for the play off date. Not their fault Buckie/SPFL made an arse of things.

It's already been said but as farcical as this play off situation has ended up, I'm surprised people weren't more vocal about how likely this was going to happen considering nobody in the league not even Brechin would have even been able to go up since the new licence measures were brought in last year.

Should also say I think the whole bronze licence requirements they've brought in are clearly too high if only east Kilbride and cumbernauld colts qualify for promotion from tier 5 and is very much more spfl gatekeeping bullshit.

Edited by ScottishLoon

6 hours ago, virginton said:

If so then I would wholeheartedly applaud this long-form shithousery as the best thing to happen in Scottish football since Rangers died. 

Frame and hang the notifying letter of Buckie's ineligibility in the Louvre. 

In your head rent free ..........for the rest of your life  Doofus. 

29 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

It's already been said but as farcical as this play off situation has ended up, I'm surprised people weren't more vocal about how likely this was going to happen considering nobody in the league not even Brechin would have even been able to go up since the new licence measures were brought in last year.

Should also say I think the whole bronze licence requirements they've brought in are clearly too high if only east Kilbride and cumbernauld colts qualify for promotion from tier 5 and is very much more spfl gatekeeping bullshit.

This could be  Doncaster's revenge for  the HL refusing the Colts and the conference. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

19 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

In your head rent free ..........for the rest of your life  Doofus. 

^^^ festering in the Highland League for the rest of yours.

Gutted for you.

IMG_20240228_202524.thumb.jpg.1bf692807090b064a0fdac0cc320feb8.jpg

Bill Leckie has a story in the Sun today where I agree with the general gist about the SFA but misses the big point, Buckie could have got a "period of grace" to gain bronze status if they'd just put their paperwork in on time. It's pretty much like fielding an unregistered player, except this time it's the whole club.

22 hours ago, virginton said:

^^^ festering in the Highland League for the rest of yours.

Gutted for you.

IMG_20240228_202524.thumb.jpg.1bf692807090b064a0fdac0cc320feb8.jpg

With any luck your mob will fester in the LL/WoSL soon enough.

Edited by Raidernation
Grammar

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Bill Leckie has a story in the Sun today where I agree with the general gist about the SFA but misses the big point, Buckie could have got a "period of grace" to gain bronze status if they'd just put their paperwork in on time. It's pretty much like fielding an unregistered player, except this time it's the whole club.

Let’s be honest could have just let them play as was no way they were going to win it.

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

With any luck your mob will fester in the LL/WoSL soon enough.

As a debt-free, fan-owned club generating actual profits in Scottish football, I wouldn't hold your breath. Thanks for playing anyway though. 

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

As a debt-free, fan-owned club generating actual profits in Scottish football, I wouldn't hold your breath. Thanks for playing anyway though. 

Still shite though, aren't they. How long since a trip to the top tier?

1 hour ago, virginton said:

How much did the previous owners write off so that you could be debt free?