2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

13 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think there has been a general dislike from day one in the HL when everyone objected to our very public statements  of ambition to get out of this league . It appears that is not the done thing in these parts. 

It started with your ambition to play in the Lowland League instead. Did you expect a warm reception after that?

47 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Us diddy teams should be grateful just to be able to breathe the same rarefied air as the famous Brechin City.

And don't you f****** forget it...

17 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Wouldn't take a whole lot of digging to find examples of Brechin fans talking down to everyone else on a weekly basis in the first season, TBH. The unpleasant episode following a postponement at Rothes featuring one of the more simple-minded Brechin posters whining like a bitch about a calloff and how unprofessional it all was only for someone at Rothes to make him look a complete piece later on. 

Now Brechin have Kevin Mackie dragging his ass across the carpet on the regular, it's open season on these clowns. Fucking idiots. 

For talking down to people , you are surely the master. 

20 hours ago, virginton said:

Perhaps if Brechin had shown the faintest morsel of ambition to build a competent football side in 2017/18 - instead of trying to leech off the rest of the Championship and producing the worst performance in SPFL history - then they wouldn't have plunged out of the leagues

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement . 

11 hours ago, morrison said:

It started with your ambition to play in the Lowland League instead. Did you expect a warm reception after that?

Ironic now that our club's actions back then have since inspired the decision  to give clubs on the borderline  the choice of HL or LL. 🤔

Posted (edited)

Has any other club in the world been relegated into a league and then been expected/pressured to say "we like it here"?  That seems to be the case from a league almost entirely filled with folk who prefer the closed-shop setup.  Anything else is (kind of understandably) viewed as being 'too-good for us Billy Big Baws'.

Mackie hadn't helped us here though.  Tbh, if I supported anyone else in the HL then I'd be wanting to see his club take a kick in the stones.

Fact of the matter is that we're an outlier with no affiliation to either the HL or LL, at odds with the majority of other Tier 5 clubs.  Goodness knows where Brechin go from here tbh, especially when the honeymoon period of having different grounds to go to has reached its end.  You could draw parallels with Falkirk of late, but unlike us they've had the clear distinction of being professionals in a semi-pro league which everyone seems to appreciate.

There are only two ways out of this slagging; promotion to the SPFL next season, or staying down for so long we become an established club and then sincerely say "it's quite a good fun league this, sorry that we didn't see at first".  At the current rate I suspect it's more likely to be the latter.  As a town, there are a lot of parallels between Turriff & Brechin for example, and if it wasn't for our SPFL background then there would be no reason for us to expected to be ahead of them (imho).

The #1 thing I miss from the SPFL is every win having a "f*ckin' yasss" feel to it, as opposed to now where 80% of our games have a relatively empty "we didn't slip up, phew" feel about it.   I feel sorry for OF fans who have opted to have the latter with the only potential true joy coming from 4 games of 38.  To be clear here, I'm not saying I'd prefer to be a mid-table HL team over the status quo whilst the days of old are still within feasible reach.

TL;DR: I preferred the old way, would like it back, but understand why other HL fans think we're fun to give a kicking because of it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Has any other club in the world been relegated into a league and then been expected/pressured to say "we like it here"?  That seems to be the case from a league almost entirely filled with folk who prefer the closed-shop setup.  Anything else is (kind of understandably) viewed as being 'too-good for us Billy Big Baws'.

Mackie hadn't helped us here though.  Tbh, if I supported anyone else in the HL then I'd be wanting to see his club take a kick in the stones.

Fact of the matter is that we're an outlier with no affiliation to either the HL or LL, at odds with the majority of other Tier 5 clubs.  Goodness knows where Brechin go from here tbh, especially when the honeymoon period of having different grounds to go to has reached its end.  You could draw parallels with Falkirk of late, but unlike us they've had the clear distinction of being professionals in a semi-pro league which everyone seems to appreciate.

There are only two ways out of this slagging; promotion to the SPFL next season, or staying down for so long we become an established club and then sincerely say "it's quite a good fun league this, sorry that we didn't see at first".  At the current rate I suspect it's more likely to be the latter.  As a town, there are a lot of parallels between Turriff & Brechin for example, and if it wasn't for our SPFL background then there would be no reason for us to expected to be ahead of them (imho).

The #1 thing I miss from the SPFL is every win having a "f*ckin' yasss" feel to it, as opposed to now where 80% of our games have a relatively empty "we didn't slip up, phew" feel about it.   I feel sorry for OF fans who have opted to have the latter with the only potential true joy coming from 4 games of 38.  To be clear here, I'm not saying I'd prefer to be a mid-table HL team over the status quo whilst the days of old are still within feasible reach.

TLDR; I preferred the old way, would like it back, but understand why other HL fans think we're fun to give a kicking because of it.

Who's to say Brechin might end up here for a few years more and be joined by Forfar Athletic. Then there might be a few clubs coming up from the Midlands League once they get their houses in order.

13 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Who's to say Brechin might end up here for a few years more and be joined by Forfar Athletic. Then there might be a few clubs coming up from the Midlands League once they get their houses in order.

Maybe Arbroath too the way they're going, Montrose only just avoided it.

22 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement . 

I'm not sure why you do agree with this? You are aware that promotion to the Championship was totally unexpected and the squad was nowhere near good enough to compete in a full time league. The club didn't have the resources to pay full time wages and did their best to bring in players who would improve the squad without forcing the club into debt .During the 1st half of the season many games were decided by the odd goal (including 2 games against the League winners) and managing a point at home against Dundee United. Towards the end of the season the players lost heart with defeat after defeat. We leeched off nobody that year but in retrospect that season was the catalyst for the club's decline. Despite the euphoria of beating Alloa on penalties, getting promotion turned out to be a disaster.

4 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

I'm not sure why you do agree with this? You are aware that promotion to the Championship was totally unexpected and the squad was nowhere near good enough to compete in a full time league. The club didn't have the resources to pay full time wages and did their best to bring in players who would improve the squad without forcing the club into debt.

Worked out well for Morton when they tried to convince themselves they could compete at a level beyond their means:

After experiencing financial problems the team was relegated from the First Division at the end of the 2000–01 season after a six-year stay and was put into administration. The club's financial problems continued and a second successive relegation followed. In season 2002–03, Morton's first ever season in the Third Division, the club's financial situation was resolved by the takeover by chairman Douglas Rae

17 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

I'm not sure why you do agree with this? You are aware that promotion to the Championship was totally unexpected and the squad was nowhere near good enough to compete in a full time league. The club didn't have the resources to pay full time wages and did their best to bring in players who would improve the squad without forcing the club into debt .During the 1st half of the season many games were decided by the odd goal (including 2 games against the League winners) and managing a point at home against Dundee United. Towards the end of the season the players lost heart with defeat after defeat. We leeched off nobody that year but in retrospect that season was the catalyst for the club's decline. Despite the euphoria of beating Alloa on penalties, getting promotion turned out to be a disaster.

I was speaking purely from a frustrated supporter's perspective.  Your explanation sums up how that season unfolded but in hindsight maybe a bit more forward planning for our expected return to League one might have helped ease the pain a bit. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I was speaking purely from a frustrated supporter's perspective.  Your explanation sums up how that season unfolded but in hindsight maybe a bit more forward planning for our expected return to League one might have helped ease the pain a bit. 

I think that the club were faced then with the current issue - a Manager under contract and key players who wouldn't sign on again. Some stalwarts of the team that stayed didn't perform to their best in L1 (and were released by Smith at the end of that season).

We can always look back and wish that things could have been done differently but we are where we are and it's important to continue to support the club. 

Edited by Kev8122

34 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

I think that the club were faced then with the current issue - a Manager under contract and key players who wouldn't sign on again. Some stalwarts of the team that stayed didn't perform to their best in L1 (and were released by Smith at the end of that season).

We can always look back and wish that things could have been done differently but we are where we are and it's important to continue to support the club. 

Absolutely.  I just hope lessons have been learned and the supporters are  listened to and not taken for granted .  

The incredible and unwavering support in the club's restructure cannot be overstated. 

14 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

Started on this thread and it'll finish here too

Just thought you might prefer a safe space for private grieving  :angel

18 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Worked out well for Morton when they tried to convince themselves they could compete at a level beyond their means:

When they had a bad faith owner who was trying to run the club into the ground?