2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

He was my nephew’s youth coach at IC&T a few years back. I went to watch him a few times and he spent the majority of games bullying young/inexperienced referees into decisions rather than providing anything of note to his Under 14 squad. 

Be interesting to see how he gets on at Nairn. Don’t think it’ll go well. Fingers crossed. 

I’m looking forward when he comes to BOD and gets stick the whole 90 minutes on the bench. I can see him coming into the crowd and doing in someone 

2 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Are we Southern softies being whooshed here ?

Are you lads making this up for a laugh ?

Somebody employed that thug in an influential position in a sports club ?

Nope, this is a shoot, brother. 

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The March 31st deadline wasn't only about licensing, it was other stuff too, Buckie couldn't have been unaware of it, the SPFL even put in bold as well as underlining it. :1eye

image.png.f01975d3b8ef8c35f2ce13aadcd71ac7.png

That is all very clear for the clubs .  Is there a reason it took until 2 days ago for the big announcement? 

It's almost as farcical as the Lowland League at times, but I don't think it'll ever get that far. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That is all very clear for the clubs .  Is there a reason it took until 2 days ago for the big announcement? 

Probably that the SPFL and SFA don't talk to each other much and neither give a hoot about the Highland League. I'd imagine the conversation on Thursday went something like "What, you mean they never even put their application in before the deadline? How could they not know? Well there's no way we can let them into the the playoff, East Kilbride or Club 42 could sue us and it will be a real mess. Who's going to tell them?"

Edited by welshbairn

Years ago I was at a cup game between Elgin and Buckie and I asked about Buckie getting their old derby back on by winning promotion. The answer was that they preferred being a big fish in a little pond than going up and ending up going nowhere and losing most of their games like Elgin City. Maybe that still applies today and this absent mindedness was actually someone's idea of doing it without receiving the flack Brora Rangers got a few years ago for throwing the playoffs and then getting accused of lack of ambition. 

Edited by CityDave94

59 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Years ago I was at a cup game between Elgin and Buckie and I asked about Buckie getting their old derby back on by winning promotion. The answer was that they preferred being a big fish in a little pond than going up and ending up going nowhere and losing most of their games like Elgin City. Maybe that still applies today and this absent mindedness was actually someone's idea of doing it without receiving the flack Brora Rangers got a few years ago for throwing the playoffs and then getting accused of lack of ambition. 

A Buckie director told me last year that Peterhead and Cove directors warned him that visiting officials get lousy hospitality in the SPFL compared to the Highland League and he had no interest in promotion.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A Buckie director told me last year that Peterhead and Cove directors warned him that visiting officials get lousy hospitality in the SPFL compared to the Highland League and he had no interest in promotion.

The whole point might have been all about stopping Brechin from escaping.  It should create shudders down the spines of clubs in the SPFL from this half of the country to avoid becoming club 42.

image.jpeg.cf71b1a956f72905964b057cca58c628.jpeg

image.jpeg

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Buckie don't bother with the post-match hospitality when they lose, so why would it matter to them?

Winning is in their DNA.

Just ask a Vale fan. :rolleyes:

They need their dose of win each week. When you go to Buckie there isn't much else to do other than watch football at the weekends, can't imagine living there and looking forward to a 5-0 pumping by East Fife the next Saturday.

1 hour ago, CityDave94 said:

The whole point might have been all about stopping Brechin from escaping.  

If so then I would wholeheartedly applaud this long-form shithousery as the best thing to happen in Scottish football since Rangers died. 

Frame and hang the notifying letter of Buckie's ineligibility in the Louvre. 

9 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Winning is in their DNA.

They need their dose of win each week.

Who, Buckie? In league terms they were mostly an irrelevance for the best part of 60 years until their two-in-a-row in the 2000’s. They nearly went out of business at one point in the 1970’s.

It’s not even like the success of late is relative to what they should have won. One title since their last ‘title’ in 2017 (hiya Riddles, hiya pal!) and barely a cup final either. Cove trampled them into the ground from the minute the smell of promotion was in the air. 

Just because their new found support act like the club is Real Madrid, that don’t make it so. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

8 hours ago, greendot said:

The Highland league - sponsored by comedy central!

The responsibility for this farce is with Buckie and/or the SPFL and/or the SFA.

What have the HL done wrong?

3 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

The whole point might have been all about stopping Brechin from escaping.  It should create shudders down the spines of clubs in the SPFL from this half of the country to avoid becoming club 42.

image.jpeg.cf71b1a956f72905964b057cca58c628.jpeg

image.jpeg

The other half of the country seem to have even more reason to be fearful:. the four south clubs relegated to the LL so far have just finished 9th, 10th, 13th and 14th.