Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

The comments, particularly about the ref and the whataboutery are exactly as I expected,  echoing what was being shouted during the game.  Not going to do tit for tat, though plenty to go with. 

Only 2 things to say. Fantastic entertainment from start to finish, from both teams and our team just keep answering every question  ( Tranent in Scottish aside) put their way.

C'mon the Kilby.

I was at the game as a neutral. It was an entertaining watch. I thought Bo'ness was a bit unlucky not to take something from it.

I was pretty well in line with the goal line when the late chance was saved by the EK keeper. I don't think it crossed the line.

EK will win the league but I'm beginning to have some doubts about them defensively. After seeing them concede 7 v Tranent and 3 v Bo'ness, they don't handle teams that press them very well.  If you stand off them, they have enough guile to play through your defence.  I'm sure that more clubs will pick up on that fallibility, including any L2 side that plays them in the play-off.

A nice touch was a wee hug between Shaun Rutherford and Nathan Flanagan before the game and their chatting throughout the game.  The pair will have played together when both were still at Hearts (as did Ryan Stevenson, although a couple of years younger). 

Edited by Footballfirst

Thank you Footballfirst , a proper, balanced and accurate reflection on the game. Agree we didn't cope with the press as well as we should.  Missing about 4 starters doesn't help. Credit to Bo'ness for their tactics giving us problems. 

Funny how other comments here critical about playing too many long balls at expense of our possession game. Suggest the answer is we are trying to develop a Plan B.

At start of season we were playing teams out of the park and that has been sussed. That is still work in progress and having  been moved out of our comfort zone, still trying to get the mix right. Absolutely confident we will get it right. 

Lastly also saw respect between Flanny and Shaun, good stuff. 

6 hours ago, ekok said:

Funny how other comments here critical about playing too many long balls at expense of our possession game. Suggest the answer is we are trying to develop a Plan B

People are critical of this because:

1. Given the amount of money being spent and talent available it should be a last resort going long, not the primary tactic.

2. Mick Kennedy has endlessly praised himself (and criticised those who've come in behind him) over the last couple of seasons about how great his possession football is.

19 hours ago, ekok said:

Agree we didn't cope with the press as well as we should.  Missing about 4 starters doesn't help.

Seriously? With a squad of about 200, a new signing every week and a guy just arrived on loan from the championship, you are going with that excuse?

13 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Seriously? With a squad of about 200, a new signing every week and a guy just arrived on loan from the championship, you are going with that excuse?

It doesnt look like long until some of that large squad will be sporting the Clyde jersey..

Looking back now , really impressed how the guys played against what were mostly Division 1 / Championship quality players .

Average age of BU at end was 24 , take Michael out and that drops to 23 .

2 Players , 18 / 1 player 19 and 1 player 20 .

Really says a lot for the players and management .

Hopefully continue things tomorrow and hopefully get a win this time .

27 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

"Are there seated area", "Can you pay by card" .....WTF !!

You'll be wanting lemon scented heated hand towels in the lavatories next.

Just get your erses to Newtown Park, accept it for what it is and enjoy the game.

Correct, where is the best pub ?

25 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Just get your erses to Newtown Park, accept it for what it is and enjoy the game.

A bit precious there pal🤣

Some people don’t carry cash these days(I do). He was only asking as probably has to make a trip to a cash line , if can find one these days. 

20 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Ha ha, wasn’t asking for anything really outrageous and technologically advanced like buying on Fanbase.  

Asking if they have a card reader isn’t really that out there at even the smallest of clubs.

49 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

"Are there seated area", "Can you pay by card" .....WTF !! ...

Didn't appear to go down well when I pointed it out last week but some of them do still need to get their head around the fact that they are now a LL club. One thing there isn't is a stock car track so one thing they will be able to do is get a decent view of the action.