Dundee United 23/24

8 hours ago, SGMilne said:

I've read people say this result is worse than the 0-9. Surely nobody really believes that? 

No way. The 9-0 was much worse than yesterday. Cup shocks happen every season, it just so happens it was us this time. 9-0 games are very rare. 

11 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

You feeling okay? Lot of Patrick fans in here randomly laughing and muttering to themselves about Docherty. Was he not popular then?

He was a great player for us. Got off to a slow start, took a good six months to settle. Last season was his best. He will do a job for you but that's the thing about DU fans, not all but a sizable section are impatient and quick to judge new players. I don't think you'll give him the time he needs to settle.

Same happened with Erskine and we all predicted a number of your fans would be on his back from the start. I really fear for your club, the backroom management of the club is similar to us under JLow. The next owner/custodians will get a fright when they look under the bonnet. 

Not saying it will happen, but if your manager/players/owner underestimate this league you'll go down again.

11 minutes ago, banditjag said:

He was a great player for us. Got off to a slow start, took a good six months to settle. Last season was his best. He will do a job for you but that's the thing about DU fans, not all but a sizable section are impatient and quick to judge new players. I don't think you'll give him the time he needs to settle.

Same happened with Erskine and we all predicted a number of your fans would be on his back from the start. I really fear for your club, the backroom management of the club is similar to us under JLow. The next owner/custodians will get a fright when they look under the bonnet. 

Not saying it will happen, but if your manager/players/owner underestimate this league you'll go down again.

He was fine yesterday, as much as anyone was fine, and there'll be many others in the firing line before him, I suspect. Erskine came into the club at a time when we were enjoying some of the best attacking players we've had for a generation (Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci). He simply wasn't of the same standard, as the rest of his career I think bears testament to. Brian Graham had a similar problem. 

I'm not convinced United fans are any more impatient than any other group of fans.

9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

fair play to Goodwin & united, I was expecting Spartans to take 3 or 4 off your mob.

Spartans could've had one or two more.  In on goal after the first and guy fluffed it.

47 minutes ago, banditjag said:

It's not as if our Chairman came out publicly and said anything stupid like "im not worried, we'll come straight back up" then a mere matter of weeks later the club has the begging bowl out, asking fans not to take up a rebate. And none of that happened after punting any player that would leave for nowt, replacing with nowhere near enough quality players and selling our only sellable asset as fast as possible. Nope, all is fine here...

I keep saying it but the team needs time to gel.  I'm really not giving them all that much though because we still have a massive budget, our manager was kept on because he knew the squad and what needed addressed. I'm not convinced he'll get it right in the time he'll be afforded by fans and I'm not sure I'll have too much sympathy for him. He's insisted on being manager (which is totally reasonable) with control over signings (again totally reasonable) as he keeps reiterating every interview, but it means the heat will be turned up quicker.

Having a few championship jobbers is fine as long as they have better quality around them - doesn't look like this is the case right now, looks more like one or two players with talent surrounded by championship jobbers.

I think our fans come across as impatient because we've seen this movie before. Actually, it wasn't just one movie, it was a fucking trilogy longer than The Lord Of The Rings Extended Directors Cut. And we're fed up of the chopping and changing of managers picked by buffoons who were picked by what's beginning to look more and more like a buffoon at the top too.

I couldn't give a shit about cups etc, promotion is the only objective this season for me. But the performances, attitudes and application in the cups are important, as is the tactial awareness of the manager. Last season we totally lacked a backbone, aggression and strength of character all over the park but we also lacked a manager with a clue for the most part too. And I'm kind of including Goodwin in that too.

Big job to fix but with the size of club we are and the budget we have it's not unreasonable to expect to win the league - not that I think it'll be easy - even with a few flaws in the squad. 

By the way, Chris Eskine was below average for us (albeit he'd look like prime Zidane in this current squad) and used to blow out his arse after 50 odd minutes. Just my personal opinion.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

51 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

I’ve slept on it after returning from the game and I’m not one to write players off after one game but that new CB has me worried….purely for the fact the championship will be a physical battle. Maybe being harsh. 

To be fair he's a young guy playing his first first team fixture in over a year. I thought he started poorly and ultimately cost us the goal but grew into it.

Unrelated to the quote above, I suspect I'm the sort of person who'll be labelled as a Happy Clapper, but honestly, I don't think yesterday's result is as bad as people think it is. I get that this is our sixth defeat in a row across two seasons but it's an almost entirely different team, which in turn requires some time to get to know each other, that's yet to sign its main striker (cos let's face it, Watt is best playing off someone).

Tuesday will be a better test because I expect that the coaching team will feed back that nobody was talking to each other on the pitch and only Cudjoe was getting stuck in.

We won't know until the end of the group stages what our best team/lineup is i would think either.

12 hours ago, chattyman said:

In your opinion

You stated that we lost “so many games late on” and attributed that to a lack of heart from Ross Docherty.

If by ‘late on’ you mean losing a game by conceding a goal in the last 10 minutes (plus stoppage time), we lost one game ‘late on’ last season. Which was against Rangers at Ibrox. And Ross Docherty didn’t even play in that game.

It’s one thing to have the opinion that Docherty is heartless. It’s another to try and justify that with statements which are complete fabrications. That’s not opinion - that’s you being flat out wrong.

Fwiw, I think Docherty will be fine for United. I’d suggest that playing him alongside Grimshaw is probably not ideal for games where United are required to break down teams who sit in deep (which might be quite a few of them), but Doc is a player who will be effective in winning the ball back and keeping things ticking over, without doing anything particularly special. And there’s no lack of heart to worry about, in my opinion.

Edited by Nightmare

2 hours ago, SGMilne said:

Unrelated to the quote above, I suspect I'm the sort of person who'll be labelled as a Happy Clapper, but honestly, I don't think yesterday's result is as bad as people think it is. I get that this is our sixth defeat in a row across two seasons but it's an almost entirely different team, which in turn requires some time to get to know each other, that's yet to sign its main striker (cos let's face it, Watt is best playing off someone).

Tuesday will be a better test because I expect that the coaching team will feed back that nobody was talking to each other on the pitch and only Cudjoe was getting stuck in.

Not particularly bothered by the result and I'm in no position to judge the performance (which is more important) as I wasn't there.

However, I've got no real faith in the manager, I have no real hope in the players we've signed and I am scanning a squad which looks on paper just about the worst I have ever seen at Tannadice. I mean seriously, who is our best player?

So yesterday's result came as no surprise.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday to see if my fears are well founded or not. Can't say I'm optimistic though.

28 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yesterday's result was dreadful, but it's not our worst ever.

We've had two that were worse in the last year alone

I can see the argument for yesterday being our worst result ever tbh, although it's no doubt influenced by being a newly-promoted Lowland side.

In reality it's not much worse than East Fife or Peterhead from recent seasons.

Everyone would expect a heavy defeat from Celtic, and 0-5 or 0-6 wouldn't have raised any eyebrows. Losing to a team divisions below is worse than being horsed by a far superior side IMO, although the sheer margin of the 0-9 will always make it a contender.

5 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

I’ve slept on it after returning from the game and I’m not one to write players off after one game but that new CB has me worried….purely for the fact the championship will be a physical battle. Maybe being harsh. 

He'll be an excellent addition.

On another note; open invitation to Davie Bowman. Athletic bar, 7pm. Wednesday. Bring it.

A few wee comments after that shitshow yesterday

Pretty obvious, but I don't think we're as prepared for the season ahead as we should be. That falls on the whole club. 

Walton - looked ok with what he had to deal with. Will see how he gets on in the next few, but he simply can't be any worse than Birighitti. 

Docherty/Grimshaw - well they were there and they ran about a wee bit, but that's about it.

Denham - shaky start to the game and cost is the goal. Looks very skinny for a central defender. Blair Henderson (who we could do worse than have a look at ourselves) gave him a torrid time in the first fifteen minutes. Arguably he came on to a game later on though.

Middleton - beginning to run out of patience with him. He has something and you get glimpses of it from time to time, but his contribution to the team needs upped severely.

Watt - made all the right noises in pre season. Obviously worked hard to get himself fit (but was he match-fit??). Obviously impressed Goodwin in order to get the vice captaincy. Then goes and puts in an incredibly insipid performance. In fairness he wasn't the only one.

The defeat itself doesn't bother me too much - the manner of the performance, particularly that first 45, does though. We treated it like a pre season friendly (maybe playing our pre season friendlies BCD came home to roost?). There was zero urgency. Zero desire. Really poor.

Partick game will be interesting now

Aye I don't think Watt is match fit yet. Admitted himself as much on a now deleted post on twitter.

Noticed one thing about the new keeper, did he kick the ball once yesterday? Seemed to love slow rolling it out of defence.

Need a win on Tuesday to kick into gear and definitely need levels upon levels more effort from the team. Pl