Dundee United 23/24

33 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Will Robbie Neilson be in the Tannadice hotseat for the start of the season?

Just my opinion, but having watched Goodwin's teams at Allia and the St Mirren he seems a good coach and judge of players. Doesn't mean he is a good manager though. Also, is he the sole judge of what players your club is buying? Docherty and Holt smell of safety first. They are good championship players so should help get us out of this league? Moult smells of desperation. Not sure Neilson would be an improvement.

I thought Goodwin was a decent appointment for both Aberdeen and Utd - I even thought it made sense for United to keep him on for this season. I'm beginning to think that his talking game is what gets/keeps him in a job. He says all the right things in a manner that makes you think he is completely in control. 

Do Utd fans get the same impression? Are there any positive signs from the first few games?

I don't think the problem is Goodwin. There's something else rotten at the core of United. Honestly think the atmosphere around the club right now is weighing heavy on people. It's like a culture of failure has set in and there's no way out.

It's very difficult to be positive after seven consecutive defeats. In my opinion,  there were some positives signs last night .. but, it's yet another defeat and no doubt another blow to the confidence and any lingering patience from the fans will all but have evaporated.

On the positive side, we now appear to have a competent (possibly good) keeper and hard, vocal organiser in midfield in Docherty; the young guys are getting a chance and some of them look like they could make a real contribution (Fotheringham, Cudjoe, Meekison, in particular); Moult, if he stays fit, should be an excellent striker at this level. With a bit of the rub of the green we could have won both cup games thus far (big deal, I know, and we didn't).

Against that the centre half from Cardiff looks like a lovely footballer but completely incapable of competing with a big centre forward (possibly any centre forward - we've only seen him against a couple of big guys). By my reckoning he lost every single high ball with Brian Graham last night and was generally bullied. Graham's a decent, experienced, wily player but he's nothing special and he was handled comfortably by Ross Graham when he came on. The full backs are average to poor (although McMann did okay last night). We're still moving the ball too slowly. The players collectively couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo.

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I don't think the problem is Goodwin. There's something else rotten at the core of United. Honestly think the atmosphere around the club right now is weighing heavy on people. It's like a culture of failure has set in and there's no way out.

Well, that's a cheery thought. 

I think it was like that under Thompson Jr and the mood only changed when he was finally ousted. Ogren doesn't seem like such a negative presence though. He might have made bad decisions (obviously he has) but he doesn't seem like a guy who lives under black cloud like Thompson. 

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Well, that's a cheery thought. 

I think it was like that under Thompson Jr and the mood only changed when he was finally ousted. Ogren doesn't seem like such a negative presence though. He might have made bad decisions (obviously he has) but he doesn't seem like a guy who lives under black cloud like Thompson. 

That's what it feels like currently to me, the end of the Thompson Jr era.

Can't disagree with your points above, I'm certainly not in the everything is awesome camp but I don't think getting shaded by single goal margins in 2 early season cup games is something to be throwing ourselves off bridges yet.

My main concern is a negative feedback loop where it just keeps getting worse and worse. An instant easy fix for me is putting Grimshaw at RB, bit of experience in there alongside Denholm to help him out and stop teams piling down that right side. Docherty and Sibbald in the midfield plus one of Glass/Mochrie/Meekison and that's a lot more solidity and bite.

Fotheringham must start every game he can and until Cudjoe learns to stop trying to beat every man I'd rather have Chalmers or even Immi there.

20 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Kind of feel like that’s what’s happened at Falkirk (for a longer period of time) 

Fotheringham, Cudjoe, Meekison all look really tidy but watching that game last night never fancied any of them to actually score or set up a goal the final ball or effort just never felt like it was coming. All look promising though especially Fotheringham. 

11 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

That's what it feels like currently to me, the end of the Thompson Jr era.

Can't disagree with your points above, I'm certainly not in the everything is awesome camp but I don't think getting shaded by single goal margins in 2 early season cup games is something to be throwing ourselves off bridges yet.

My main concern is a negative feedback loop where it just keeps getting worse and worse. An instant easy fix for me is putting Grimshaw at RB, bit of experience in there alongside Denholm to help him out and stop teams piling down that right side. Docherty and Sibbald in the midfield plus one of Glass/Mochrie/Meekison and that's a lot more solidity and bite.

Fotheringham must start every game he can and until Cudjoe learns to stop trying to beat every man I'd rather have Chalmers or even Immi there.

Yeah, Grimshaw at right back and I'd be tempted to stick Ross Graham in beside Holt for the time being. Don't know what to do with Denholm but he really needs to learn quickly how to defend or he's going to be a liability.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, Grimshaw at right back and I'd be tempted to stick Ross Graham in beside Holt for the time being. Don't know what to do with Denholm but he really needs to learn quickly how to defend or he's going to be a liability.

Yup I'm a massive massive fan of Graham. I really struggled last year to work out why he wasn't utilised as much as he could have been. Any mistakes he's got in him would lessen with more game time. 

We (Goodwin and the players) don't know how to win. Even though McMann had a decent game last night and put in a fee good crosses that is the exception to the rule. 

I don't know why we insist on our full backs looking to beat men or put crosses in. We have players in Mochrie, Cudjoe, Middleton, Glass, Watt etc to do that, that is supposed to be their game. They are attacking players. Not MCmann or Freeman. If they focused SOLEY on defending then we might have half a chance 

29 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Agreed.

As an example, Ayr boy on here last night wanting to get Logan Chalmers back as he was so good there.

Yet back at United comes on v Spartans and is wasteful and then deemed not good enough for any game time v Partick.

He was clearly decent last year in the Championship for Ayr, yet he's no doubt going to stink the house out at Tannadice 

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

We need to reach settlements with Birighitti, Mulgrew and Niskanen and get them off the wage book. 

Therein lay a problem of Goodwin's making. By all means tell the boys "look, if you can find another club do so. You're not in my immediate plans but may be required".

What Goodwin does was "don't want to be here, we will rip up your contract". 

He has now backed your club into a terrible position where these boys have been informed they're not required after the fact he's tried to sweeten his own ego in the press. He's absolutely fucked it - pretty gloriously.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Its amazing how a mood can affect a club.  Look at Stirling last season, they were going nowhere and had ongoing board squabbles, then their chairman resigned and it was remarkable how the team just started immediately winning.  

Someone else mentioned Falkirk, and look at Hamilton too.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Agreed.

As an example, Ayr boy on here last night wanting to get Logan Chalmers back as he was so good there.

Yet back at United comes on v Spartans and is wasteful and then deemed not good enough for any game time v Partick.

He was clearly decent last year in the Championship for Ayr, yet he's no doubt going to stink the house out at Tannadice 

Bannon always said the reason he doesn't get involved with '83 pitch appearances etc is the pressure and expectancy being puy on the current crop of players. Maybe Logan like others can't handle the pressure 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yup I'm a massive massive fan of Graham. I really struggled last year to work out why he wasn't utilised as much as he could have been. Any mistakes he's got in him would lessen with more game time. 

Having seen him with Dunfermline when the team has 0 confidence he is a complete liability, feels like a confidence player not the sort to turn round a disaster.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Having seen him with Dunfermline when the team has 0 confidence he is a complete liability, feels like a confidence player not the sort to turn round a disaster.

Tbf, he hardly played for Dunfermline. He came back to United that season and was excellent at a much higher level. I think the Dunfermline stint said more about Peter Grant's team than it did about Graham.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Agreed.

He was good at The Caley too.

He has shown over the last couple of seasons that he is a good championship player. He deserves to at least get a run of games to show what he can do for you.