Dundee United 23/24

Think there has been an overreaction in some places given that it was our first defeat in the league and it’s mid December, however there has been a definite decline in performances recently and the pressing game that worked so well at the start of the season seems to have been abandoned. 
Too many players out of form at the moment with no options to change them, no goals in 7 games for Moult, Middleton back to being absolutely anonymous after doing really well earlier in the season and Tony Watt being Tony Watt. 

Edited by skinny arab

If United were going to have a dip at some point this season, as expected, then now is the best time to have it.

First loss in the league of the season to your closest rivals for the title is a bit of a downer and the manner in which we lost reflecting that.

However, given that most folks agree that was a pretty flat and toothless performance, where we matched a Raith team most say clearly wanted it more means that I'm not worried about where the title goes at the end of the season. Clearly this team matches even the best the league has to offer even when playing like yesterday.

What we need now is a performance out the gates next week and start to instill that winning mentality again. Get out the slump and get back on top.

Clearly need additions in January, for me top of the shopping list is a natural right back who fits the system and a striker, preferably more of a target man as we seem to have remembered how to cross this season. Tilson and Denholm to return to their clubs and a better defensive midfield option would be the icing on the cake.

I dunno about Moult yesterday. He seems to be having to cover acres to get a a touch and try and start attacks himself. It was undoubtedly fucking useless but he at least seemed to be trying to make things happen.

Middleton an absolute passenger as is too often the case, he hasn't kicked a ball in weeks.

We seem to be in a situation where if 2 20 year olds aren't running the game for us it all breaks down.

Thought Tillson had his best game for us and he was still shite.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

If United were going to have a dip at some point this season, as expected, then now is the best time to have it.

First loss in the league of the season to your closest rivals for the title is a bit of a downer and the manner in which we lost reflecting that.

However, given that most folks agree that was a pretty flat and toothless performance, where we matched a Raith team most say clearly wanted it more means that I'm not worried about where the title goes at the end of the season. Clearly this team matches even the best the league has to offer even when playing like yesterday.

I understand the sentiment, but suspect it’s not quite that clear that United are clearly superior underneath right now. The first half I would clearly say United were the more effective team, although both sides seems to be feeling each other out quite a bit and not really trying any swashbuckling attacks. The second half the Rovers were certainly more in the match, which should be a huge red flag for United. The reason I say that is 7 of the outfield Rover’s players were coming off starting on Wednesday night against Arbroath, on a wet, heavy pitch. And it was this cadre that scored on Easton’s “moment of quality”.

When I went back to look at that goal, it became clear the fluid play on the buildup was overlooked by many people. Mullen challenges Sibbald for the ball and knocks it to Byrne, who threads it forward to Vaughan. Vaughan redirects it wide to Millen, who then picks out Stanton in the middle. Stanton then cuts through five defenders with a pass to Easton, and the rest is Easton’s magic feet. Where in the first half the Rover’s were pressured by United, and generally unable to string together more than three passes, this was five quick, incisive passes that took the ball from the halfway line to inside the penalty area without any real pressure.

I don’t know what Goodwin said at the half, but United seemed much more sluggish for the first 20 minutes of the second half, not delivering the pressure they had in the first half, and not establishing the attacking threat they finally showed toward the end. After that something, perhaps Cudjoe and Watt, certainly seemed to encourage some attacking threats from United, but the earlier pressure still seemed absent across the midfield.

22 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Pretty sure it’s the Burnley owners that are in talks with Hibs

It's the Bournemouth owner who is close to buying a minority share in Hibs (Bill Foley, from the 'States'). The same 79 year old billionaire owns L'Orient in France.

US company ALK Capital, who own Burnley, are looking to make Dundee a feeder club. 

@Fife Arab Hope you don't mind me tagging you, but you seem to have some good inside info - I read elsewhere Docherty out (again) tomorrow night. Is that right?

If so, beginning to look like we've signed a crock, albeit a more than capable crock. (And apparently wasn't a crock until he set foot in Tannadice). Rotten luck for both player and us if these injuries continue 

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

@Fife Arab Hope you don't mind me tagging you, but you seem to have some good inside info - I read elsewhere Docherty out (again) tomorrow night. Is that right?

If so, beginning to look like we've signed a crock, albeit a more than capable crock. (And apparently wasn't a crock until he set foot in Tannadice). Rotten luck for both player and us if these injuries continue 

Unfortunately yes he’s out. I heard 4 weeks but hopefully he’s back as soon as possible. 

🇬🇭 will get a run out tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

He had a few injuries in his time with us. His injury in his first season had him out for months and effectively ended our hopes of winning the league. He then had recurring injuries two years later when we were going for the title again and he rarely played that year. The following season was much the same. All in all we had him for five years and in four of them he spent prolonged periods of time out injured. 

His years at Thistle were very much the exception to the rule. Played consistently for them in their return to the Championship and must’ve played 90 minutes every week in their run in under Doolan last year. 

He definitely has a history of injuries but that won’t be news to anyone at the club who looked into his medical past. 

38 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Unfortunately yes he’s out. I heard 4 weeks but hopefully he’s back as soon as possible. 

🇬🇭 will get a run out tomorrow. 

I'd start him (not Doc) on the big pitch and stretch them. I'm even going to go mental and suggest Middleton might have a decent game tomorrow 

Young Declan Glass back on the bench tonight. Feel like the criticism of him is very unfair. You could argue our results have dropped since he’s been out the team. Could do with adding couple of goals to his game but always shows for the ball and likes to keep the ball unlike Tilson. Formation will be interesting tonight, if it’s 442 I expect couple of strikers/winger in January 

On 17/12/2023 at 10:40, skinny arab said:

Think there has been an overreaction in some places given that it was our first defeat in the league and it’s mid December, however there has been a definite decline in performances recently and the pressing game that worked so well at the start of the season seems to have been abandoned. 
Too many players out of form at the moment with no options to change them, no goals in 7 games for Moult, Middleton back to being absolutely anonymous after doing really well earlier in the season and Tony Watt being Tony Watt. 

On 17/12/2023 at 12:18, ArabianKnight said:

What we need now is a performance out the gates next week and start to instill that winning mentality again. Get out the slump and get back on top.

Clearly need additions in January, for me top of the shopping list is a natural right back who fits the system and a striker, preferably more of a target man as we seem to have remembered how to cross this season. Tilson and Denholm to return to their clubs and a better defensive midfield option would be the icing on the cake.

Christ Almighty. By far the largest budget in the division and yet making excuses for an obviously incompetent tit in the dugout.

Failing to beat Queen's Park right now is a sackable offence for any legitimate title contender.

That tonight was worse than any of the shite last season.

It was so slow, it would be generous to call it pedestrian, and if the ball down the line didn’t work, we just played it anyway. Grimshaw taking a short throw, getting it back, then passing it straight out of play towards the end summed the whole fucking thing up.

Without 3 or 4 signings of players better than what we currently have we’re not going up.  Zero creativity and strikers who look like they’ve no idea how to finish.  That chance for Moult when Fotheringham headed it down should be a striker’s bread and butter.

To have no other striker in the squad (bar a 16 year old boy) is ridiculous, even more so when you consider we all pointed this issue out last season.

We need to bring players in in January and quickly.  Looking at the bench tonight before the game I could have told you what the subs would be and pretty much when they’d happen.  So fucking predictable it’s unreal.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Grimshaw taking a short throw, getting it back, then passing it straight out of play towards the end summed the whole fucking thing up.

I say the same thing every week about him - if Freeman had done that, the place would be in uproar.

For a while I've thought I can't split the difference between the pair, but I'm coming round to thinking Freeman might be least bad.