Dundee United 23/24

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I was asking that very same question watching the game tonight.  From what I’ve seen of him he looks extremely poor and if truth be told a little unfit.

@RandomGuy. was Middleton any good when he was at St Johnstone?

At one point we had a break on, and instead of going at speed, he stopped, and hit a shite crossfield pass that got cut out.

He seems to do this in just about every game.

28 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

What is the purpose of Glenn Middleton?

To encourage in the main hard work, good living and diet plus positive thinking whilst embracing any professional training regime I would imagine.

There again, maybe not on tonight's showing.

136472318130972204315324.gif.a447f8d41137a24ec23b9b8f16f3b365.gif

A Jim Fraudwin masterclass. Quite the knack for bottling big games. Tony Watt says he's tactically brilliant though, what a reference that is. We'll probably go up because the league is absolute pony but we'll need something like 17 new players in the summer.

Just now, Gibby82 said:

A Jim Fraudwin masterclass. Quite the knack for bottling big games. Tony Watt says he's tactically brilliant though, what a reference that is. We'll probably go up because the league is absolute pony but we'll need something like 17 new players in the summer.

I had a laugh at that, at half time.

Has Cudjoe had a bit of a falling out, I'd have had him on for Middleton or Fotheringham midway through the 2nd half when the game was there for the team that wanted to go for it.

Raith brought on Hamilton, Connolly, Easton and Brown and were ultimately rewarded for being bold enough to go for it.

I still think a draw would have been the fairer result on the night.

Edited by BukyOHare

24 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

I'd say that if I was getting a game for United when by rights I should be at Accies.

8 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I had a laugh at that, at half time.

TBF it was the funniest friday night fitba halftime segment since the ancient guy rambling about dung being rubbed on dens turnstiles and walls to try and stop dees climbing in for free.

9 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I was asking that very same question watching the game tonight.  From what I’ve seen of him he looks extremely poor and if truth be told a little unfit.

@RandomGuy. was Middleton any good when he was at St Johnstone?

Only at one off big moments, really. He'd do nothing for 90 minutes then randomly pop up to score the goal that puts you into the top 6 etc., when he didn't have those moments then he wasnt really noticeable.

Hes one of those who'll forever look like theyre better than they are simply because they do things at pace, but last night was what i remembered. No end product and by his 3rd/4th touch hes predictable. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only at one off big moments, really. He'd do nothing for 90 minutes then randomly pop up to score the goal that puts you into the top 6 etc., when he didn't have those moments then he wasnt really noticeable.

Hes one of those who'll forever look like theyre better than they are simply because they do things at pace, but last night was what i remembered. No end product and by his 3rd/4th touch hes predictable. 

Also felt (could be misremembering) he was better at acting on instinct, rather than having time on the ball. Not quite as bad for that as Chris Kane though. Not great if you’re expected to be one of the main creators in a team going for the league.  

You look at United's squad and you really should be romping that league.

The only person to blame is Goodwin.

If you do fail to win the league (I still think you will win it because Raith are defensively awful) then I don't think you'd go up through the playoffs.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You look at United's squad and you really should be romping that league.

The only person to blame is Goodwin.

If you do fail to win the league (I still think you will win it because Raith are defensively awful) then I don't think you'd go up through the playoffs.

I imagine Utd will still win the league because despite the result last night, the Rovers aren’t nearly as good a team.  An offside goal and a wonder strike, you can’t really account for these things, they just sometimes happen in football.   The meltdown from sections of the United support is over the top, imo.

Rovers do have a very high points tally for this point in the season, they’re making a good fist of it, but over 13 games, playing the way they do, I don’t see them getting more points than Utd.   Unless they revive their lucky-monkey-paw run of earlier in the season and start scoring a last minute winner every week.  

10 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I imagine Utd will still win the league because despite the result last night, the Rovers aren’t nearly as good a team.  An offside goal and a wonder strike, you can’t really account for these things, they just sometimes happen in football.   The meltdown from sections of the United support is over the top, imo.

Rovers do have a very high points tally for this point in the season, they’re making a good fist of it, but over 13 games, playing the way they do, I don’t see them getting more points than Utd.   Unless they revive their lucky-monkey-paw run of earlier in the season and start scoring a last minute winner every week.  

All that said, they find themselves just a solitary point behind you guys.  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feels like Middleton's the kind of player who could have forever flattered to deceive in this way and spent the rest of his career jumping between top flight clubs getting contracts based on the fleeting good moments, but having found himself in the Championship and been just as ineffective he's heading for the merry-go-round of one year deals with mid-table or relegation battling Championship clubs, possibly slipping to League One if a full-time team down there chucks him more money. He'll end up having a career like Gary Oliver or Louis Longridge.

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

All that said, they find themselves just a solitary point behind you guys.  

Indeed.  They’ve done well.  They’ve got some really good things about them, but I do think they’ve carried a fair amount of luck, last night being another example.  

They still haven’t won a game by more than one goal and as we’ve seen over the last month and a half, are quite capable of losing to just about every team in the division. 

They’ve had two huge wins against United in the head to heads.  Had those games gone the other way - which they could easily have done - United would be 13 points clear.  I know that sounds a ridiculous thing to say, but that - and the massive difference in GD - shows the consistency United have against the rest of the league that the Rovers just don’t have. 

Nothing is certain of course, but that’s what makes me confident United will win the league.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Feels like Middleton's the kind of player who could have forever flattered to deceive in this way and spent the rest of his career jumping between top flight clubs getting contracts based on the fleeting good moments, but having found himself in the Championship and been just as ineffective he's heading for the merry-go-round of one year deals with mid-table or relegation battling Championship clubs, possibly slipping to League One if a full-time team down there chucks him more money. He'll end up having a career like Gary Oliver or Louis Longridge.

He’s on 12 assists for the season already.  As seen earlier this year he’s clearly a confidence player.