Dundee United 23/24

28 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

By Christ I love Dundee fans.

Wee bit of a purple patch for the first time this millennium and they've no idea how to handle it.

It's quite cute.

Winning the finished 6th cup has gone to their heads. We finished 4th just 2 years ago. Doesn't really mean that much. Neither side has done a great deal since United won The Scottish Cup in 2010. 

5 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Like you harping on about the past.

Tell you one thing that's a cert, Docherty and the Dee's will finish above Goodwin and your bunch of jobbers next season, no problem at all.

Bookmark it.

Thank you.

These c***s never learn. Never 🙄

On 18/05/2024 at 23:23, adamntg said:

Sixth biggest club in the country, why would you not expect it?

Whether we are the 6th biggest club in the country is debatable, but even if it was not... football has never worked like that, and we will be competing with:

- Killie (who have just finished 4th, are going into their 3rd Premiership season in a row and have the benefit of a plastic pitch (and some European revenues));

- St Mirren (who since 2006 have only spent 3 seasons outside the top tier and will also have the benefit of some European revenues);

- Dundee (who, like it or not, have recruited well this past couple of years);

- Motherwell (the steadiest midtable club in the league, who somehow haven't been outside the top flight since the 80s);

- St Johnstone (who have Sir Craig Levein in charge and dominate us whenever it matters); and

- one of either Ross County (who admittedly are pretty poor, but still horsed us 4-0 (and we were lucky to keep it to 4...) last time we ventured up there) or Raith Rovers (a team we only beat once this season, and ran us incredibly close on a budget a fraction of ours...),

If you genuinely expect Jim Goodwin to lead us to a 6th place finish in our first season back in the top flight with a squad made up of completely new signings, Championship-level players, and some players that got us relegated last time round, then I would suggest you have misunderstood the last couple of decades of Dundee United FC. 

On 19/05/2024 at 01:11, mishtergrolsch said:

We have the 6th biggest budget but we also have the spine of a top Championship team with a few lower end Premier league players in it. 

My understanding is that, the last season we were in the Premiership, we had the 6th biggest budget - but that this time around we are on a far, far tighter budget.  Unlikely that we will be anywhere near 6th this season, from what I hear.

On 19/05/2024 at 01:52, ArabianKnight said:

I'd be happy with the team just consolidating this year. 

And that's not accepting mediocracy that's being realistic and not wanting the club to turn to dust spending money we can't afford.

This is my mindset - if we are a Premiership team in the 2025/26 season then we will have succeeded.  Whether that's by splitting the Old Firm or scraping through a play-off final against Partick on penalties, I really don't care. 

In the past decade, we have become a yo-yo team, and the Arabs that are still living like its the early 80s could do with reminding themselves of that...

I don't think there's much of a debate that we're the sixth-biggest team in the country is there? Whether that's name value, budget, attendance levels or success in the majority of fans lifetimes, I think it's pretty nailed on. But there's no absolute official scale to measure these things on so if people believe it or not it's entirely in their own heads. I'd just imagine if you polled 100 people, United would be considered 6th biggest by a decent margin.

As for budget, again, I would imagine we'll be 6th in the league. Perhaps it won't be as close to 5th highest budget as last time, but it'll still absolutely be 6th. Who's going to be spending more out of St. Mirren, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Motherwell or Dundee? From what I've heard (not directly but one step removed), agents are quite surprised at how much United are willing to spend on wages for the right player.

The thing is though, budget and reputation doesn't matter when it comes to where a team finishes, otherwise it would be the same top six every year. Aberdeen and Hibs get it wrong sometimes and occasionally Hearts get it so spectacularly wrong that they get relegated.

I'll be happy enough with consolidation next year too, but I'll be hoping for a top 6 finish or even a top 4. It's achievable if the recruitment is right.

As for Goodwin, the thing that always makes me smile when people talk about football managers is the notion that they can never improve and they'll never learn from their experience, seemingly quite unlike any other job in the world. Goodwin was in a lose-lose this past season; either he won the league and it wasn't going to be good enough to change peoples minds, or he didn't win the league and people will have said I told you so. I was impressed with how he overcame that sticky patch in Feb/Mar and got the team in a position to win the league strongly. I think he's a better manager now than when he joined us, and I'm happy to give him a chance. Certainly i don't see him as significantly better or worse than most managers in the league. 

40 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Whether we are the 6th biggest club in the country is debatable, but even if it was not... football has never worked like that, and we will be competing with:

- Killie (who have just finished 4th, are going into their 3rd Premiership season in a row and have the benefit of a plastic pitch (and some European revenues));

- St Mirren (who since 2006 have only spent 3 seasons outside the top tier and will also have the benefit of some European revenues);

- Dundee (who, like it or not, have recruited well this past couple of years);

- Motherwell (the steadiest midtable club in the league, who somehow haven't been outside the top flight since the 80s);

- St Johnstone (who have Sir Craig Levein in charge and dominate us whenever it matters); and

- one of either Ross County (who admittedly are pretty poor, but still horsed us 4-0 (and we were lucky to keep it to 4...) last time we ventured up there) or Raith Rovers (a team we only beat once this season, and ran us incredibly close on a budget a fraction of ours...),

If you genuinely expect Jim Goodwin to lead us to a 6th place finish in our first season back in the top flight with a squad made up of completely new signings, Championship-level players, and some players that got us relegated last time round, then I would suggest you have misunderstood the last couple of decades of Dundee United FC. 

My understanding is that, the last season we were in the Premiership, we had the 6th biggest budget - but that this time around we are on a far, far tighter budget.  Unlikely that we will be anywhere near 6th this season, from what I hear.

This is my mindset - if we are a Premiership team in the 2025/26 season then we will have succeeded.  Whether that's by splitting the Old Firm or scraping through a play-off final against Partick on penalties, I really don't care. 

In the past decade, we have become a yo-yo team, and the Arabs that are still living like its the early 80s could do with reminding themselves of that...

Even allowing for a couple of disastrous spells over the last decade, United have still be top six in ten of the last twenty seasons. 

I think sixth should be our aim each season, better than that is a bonus and lower down a disappointment. I accept that as a newly promoted club consolidation without any real threat of relegation would be fine, but given the transient season-to-season nature of squads for all bar two of Scotland’s clubs, and the well-established correlation between finances and final league position, I don’t think hoping for sixth is outrageous, or unrealistic. 

I was hoping it would be next season before we had to deal with an infestation of Funsters on our threads but I suppose that just wishful thinking.

There’s fact and opinions.  In terms of income and attendance we are Scotland’s sixth biggest club; that’s undeniable.

Whether we’re the sixth biggest club in other ways is up for debate, and that debate will not always be an informed one.

Certainly in recent years our success has not mirrored our size and resources.

Personally I find the whole biggest club chat tedious. 

It's no surprise that the clubs from cities with the bigger population Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee in that order have larger attendances 

15 hours ago, Caballero said:

Jeezo, Dabs are thick as shite

i have one texting me whilst we are top 6 and they struggled to win the weakest Championship ever, with every text he becomes more stupid

I would have thought the weakest Championship ever would have been the one where the champions had the lowest points total since league reconstruction to a ten team format in 1994.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Connor Barron a possibility I'm hearing.  Leaving Aberdeen and wants to live closer to the central belt.

Not a chance.

I will touch myself very inappropriately if he does sign though

8 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Personally I find the whole biggest club chat tedious. 

It's no surprise that the clubs from cities with the bigger population Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee in that order have larger attendances 

Partick Thistle and Cove Rangers fans want a word…

1 minute ago, Glen Scotia said:

Edinburgh City, Lochee United, Glasgow City woman. Doesn't change my initial posts point 

I’m surprised Glasgow City woman doesn’t draw a crowd.