Dundee United 23/24

Of the 6 or so guys who have played up front, either through the middle or out wide, this season, I think Grieve's the only one who hasn't made any sort of contribution at  all. He might come good but he's not shown anything which suggests that he should be starting games. 

Classic "something's wrong, change something" reasoning.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Of the 6 or so guys who have played up front, either through the middle or out wide, this season, I think Grieve's the only one who hasn't made any sort of contribution at  all. He might come good but he's not shown anything which suggests that he should be starting games. 

Classic "something's wrong, change something" reasoning.

At the risk of being overly blunt and not sufficiently analysing the relative strengths and weaknesses of all parties, Grieve is shite 

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

At the risk of being overly blunt and not sufficiently analysing the relative strengths and weaknesses of all parties, Grieve is shite 

To be fair, he is probably in the top 25 or so players at the club

21 hours ago, SGMilne said:

the man who got the most out of Nadir Ciftci when he's never come anywhere close reaching those heights ever again,

I'm not sure. He did get quite some height when Kevin Thomson nailed him straight after kick off in the 3-1 game at Dens.

You could say that McNamara was a pretty effective manager for us. He brought through a lot of young talent, got a tune out of Ciftci, reached two cup finals, and guided us to 6th, 4th and 5th. The big problem for me was that he never seemed to learn anything from defeats. As an obvious example, how many times in that period did we go up against Tommy Wright's St Johnstone, lose, and change absolutely nothing for the next time we played them? As others have said, it seemed the quality of the players masked a lack of any real tactical awareness, which seems to have been a recurring theme over the last decade, although with an ever decreasing quality of player.

In short, McNamara seemed a reasonable man-manager, but not particularly tactically aware.

However, any judgement of him will always be clouded by the fact that he, as manager, essentially received a bung to sell off his two best players to the team who we were due to face in a Cup Final, at a time when we were also second in the league to the same team.

So f**k him, the wee rat c**t

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

You could say that McNamara was a pretty effective manager for us. He brought through a lot of young talent, got a tune out of Ciftci, reached two cup finals, and guided us to 6th, 4th and 5th. The big problem for me was that he never seemed to learn anything from defeats. As an obvious example, how many times in that period did we go up against Tommy Wright's St Johnstone, lose, and change absolutely nothing for the next time we played them? As others have said, it seemed the quality of the players masked a lack of any real tactical awareness, which seems to have been a recurring theme over the last decade, although with an ever decreasing quality of player.

In short, McNamara seemed a reasonable man-manager, but not particularly tactically aware.

However, any judgement of him will always be clouded by the fact that he, as manager, essentially received a bung to sell off his two best players to the team who we were due to face in a Cup Final, at a time when we were also second in the league to the same team.

So f**k him, the wee rat c**t

To be fair, there was that one time when, floating on a cloud of hubris, he changed half the team for a match at McDiarmid after Christmas. If my Vietnam-style flashbacks aren't failing me, Calum Butcher did a Calum Butcher thing, Gabriel Batistuta turned up wearing Stevie May's shirt, and we got pumped 3-0.

On 23/02/2024 at 10:17, SGMilne said:

Yeah, I think history has been unkind to Jackie McNamara. It all ended badly for him and he subsequently had a horrible time of it at York but he deserves credit for a number of things, including having the balls to play guys like Gauld, Souttar and Robertson at such a young age/level of experience, for clearly being the man who got the most out of Nadir Ciftci when he's never come anywhere close reaching those heights ever again, and for the great football we played under him at times.

Absolutely, player sales and recruitment in the latter part of his time with us was poor (the recruitment in the season we were relegated was simply unbelievable) but you can't only look at the negatives.

Reading this forum - the opposite is clearly true. 

Firstly, I'll say I was a critic of the clown at the time - nothing to do with history.

Secondly, there was no 'having balls' involved in playing Gauld, Souttar and Robertson; yer half-blind grannie would have played them, because they were awesome.

In fact my argument at the time was we were probably playing them too much. Guys like Gauld needed a rest occasionally, but it wasn't until the great McDiarmid switcheroo that it finally happened when the clown swapped out half the team at the same time to predictable effect!

Edited by ArabFC

58 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

To be fair, there was that one time when, floating on a cloud of hubris, he changed half the team for a match at McDiarmid after Christmas. If my Vietnam-style flashbacks aren't failing me, Calum Butcher did a Calum Butcher thing, Gabriel Batistuta turned up wearing Stevie May's shirt, and we got pumped 3-0.

Was it not 8 changes? Wild anyway.  Goal and a man down after about 5 minutes and it went downhill after that. 

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Was it not 8 changes? Wild anyway.  Goal and a man down after about 5 minutes and it went downhill after that. 

Aye right enough. Sweeping changes after the horsing by Elbows Goodwin et al a few days earlier.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Reading this forum - the opposite is clearly true. 

Firstly, I'll say I was a critic of the clown at the time - nothing to do with history.

Secondly, there was no 'having balls' involved in playing Gauld, Souttar and Robertson; yer half-blind grannie would have played them, because they were awesome.

In fact my argument at the time was we were probably playing them too much. Guys like Gauld needed a rest occasionally, but it wasn't until the great McDiarmid switcheroo that it finally happened when the clown swapped out half the team at the same time to predictable effect!

"Your half blind grannie would have played them" and yet Peter Houston didn't play Gauld and Souttar.

Under absolutely no circumstances would Houston have put those two on from the start - making their 3rd ever professional starts - in a semi final at Hampden against Celtic. It just wouldn't have happened. Both strolled it. At the time, there was a near on unanimous view that that was a ballsy move. And that's what I'm referring to.

Like I say, it ended  badly for him and that's what he's remembered for, but there was a point where things were good. Arguably things have never been anywhere near as good since.

His free kick aside, I thought Moult was once again pretty poor today, and in spite of being due credit for scoring the second, Tillson's passing is absolutely appalling for a professional footballer.

Like every game we play, we dominated without doing a huge amount. I don't think there were any really good performances, although Gallagher returning adds some stability. Miller Thomson's corners were better than the norm, but I'm not going to go overboard and say he was 'superb' (as I've seen some say on X) because he wasn't. He's not a right back, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with him playing right back long term.

The one player I'd single out for praise is Cudjoe, simply because in a squad of players who like to hold up play and play sideways or backwards passes, he is direct and he tries stuff, and it makes a difference.