Dundee United 23/24

9 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

FTFY.
I think if we go up, and that's a big if, then he's probably earned himself a go at the Premiership with us.

The more immediate issue with Goodwin is that he's a bottler in the games that matter, it was the same with Aberdeen (Darvel, Hibs etc.), and in three games against Raith this season. I don't know how he can fix it, as it seems more a mentality issue than a tactical one.

It should be said though, that most seasons having 52 points after 26 games would have you at least 5 clear of the second placed side - QP were four clear with 47 points at the same point last season, so Raith deserve a lot of credit.

Yes but Queens team was considerably cheaper and worse than Uniteds.

5 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I just took the Transfermarkt "after 26 matchdays" table

image.thumb.png.2f4bf253c3627f646f95d8f0ec06d95c.png

Didn't mean to quote this.

On 02/03/2024 at 13:09, Glen Scotia said:

How good was Barry Robson for us

Absolutely outstanding. 

Probably the best left foot of anyone I've ever seen in the Tangerine - there was a time (just before he went to Celtic...) when he was man of the match every game for about a month.  If he didn't score, he assisted - defenders just couldn't cope with how strong and direct he was.  The Hearts game when he scored 3 and assisted the 4th, when Michael Stewart was sent off for arguing with a fan in the Jerry Kerr was a real highlight for me.

On 02/03/2024 at 15:05, ArabFC said:

My favourite midfield duo for United, well, ever.

Can be easily argued neither were among the best midfielders we ever had, but collectively they just worked in tandem beautifully.

Agreed on all fronts - together they were absolutely superb.  Two of a number of players around that time that left to bigger and better things, only to have pretty underwhelming careers.  Gomis is apparently still playing, at East Stirling of all places - good on him.  

16 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Unless we go on a winning run from now till the end of the season, swatting everyone aside with 3-0 wins all over the place then I'm not convinced we should keep him. 

The only problem with that is that it would require the Board to make another appointment... and if there is only global truth, it is that the Dundee United Board cannot make good appointments.

13 hours ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

He should never have been given a contract after the bottom 6 LLLLL. Never seen such a bottler as a manager.

Looking back, it really was quite surprising (although not that surprising, given that it was the Dundee United Board - see above) that we gave him a 2-year contract off the back of such an objectively dreadful run of form.  I know that his hands were tied to a certain degree, as the January transfer window had been and gone and Mark Birighitti was still our keeper, but the run he oversaw was woeful. 

15 hours ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

He should never have been given a contract after the bottom 6 LLLLL. Never seen such a bottler as a manager.

Plan is hopefully to part ways at the end of the season whatever happens.

One of the biggest issues is we would have been looking at our 4th manager in a year.  No decent manager would take the job under those circumstances (like no decent manager took on the job being the 3rd manager in a year)

3 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

One of the biggest issues is we would have been looking at our 4th manager in a year.  No decent manager would take the job under those circumstances (like no decent manager took on the job being the 3rd manager in a year)

Managers will always fancy their chances at some clubs despite perceived weaknesses. Regardless of whether United win the league, I can't see Goodwin being in the job by the end of the year. 

If the stories about the Brentford owner buying the club are true, I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced Goodwin irrespective of what league we're in, he seems to have a set approach with his managerial hires. In saying that, a Hibs-type setup with him owning a minority stake feels more likely to me.

On 01/03/2024 at 22:25, Pull My Strings said:

Both suspended, iirc. Beyond that, dinnae ken.

They were both in the dug-out area for the second half, so I think it was just a choice to sit in the stand for the first half.

We had Euan McLean in the sticks that day - had completely forgotten about him, but according to his Wikipedia he quit football to become a policeman in 2011.  I had also completely forgotten the existence of Jordan Robertson, who did a stint in jail for causing death by dangerous driving but has gone on to become an agent.

I know that 2007 is a long time ago now and for my own sanity comparing the two isn't the most sensible thing to do - but it is absolutely jarring how the quality of that whole squad and our current one are absolutely night and day...  not sure a single person in our starting 11 breaks into that matchday squad, never mind starting line-up (perhaps with the exception of the aforementioned Euan McLean and Jordan Robertson, and the ridiculously bad Stuart Duff). 

19 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Since Jim McLean departed as manager in the summer of 1993 (not to make anyone feel old - but that was more than 30 years ago...), have any managers left United with a stock higher than when they joined?  Off the top of my head, I'd argue Craig Levein definitely did and perhaps Peter Houston - but beyond that?  Any manager taking the job needs to do so with extreme caution... 

18 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Managers will always fancy their chances at some clubs despite perceived weaknesses. Regardless of whether United win the league, I can't see Goodwin being in the job by the end of the year. 

It was a ridiculous risk to give him a 2-year deal at the end of last season - I can't imagine that any other football clubs in the history of the game have offered the manager an extension off the back of 5 straight defeats (and a total record of 3 wins, 2 draws and 7 losses from 12).  It is not like Goodwin was in a strong negotiating position.

Goodwins just a means to an end isnt?

As in he seems highly likely to get you promoted and be able to build a squad that can avoid relegation, but then you cut him loose and try and get someone better after that.

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Since Jim McLean departed as manager in the summer of 1993 (not to make anyone feel old - but that was more than 30 years ago...), have any managers left United with a stock higher than when they joined?  Off the top of my head, I'd argue Craig Levein definitely did and perhaps Peter Houston - but beyond that?  Any manager taking the job needs to do so with extreme caution... 

Tam Courts did, although he quickly went about lowering it again

Going to break character and say I thought tonight was OK. Would have been nice to have scored when we were on top in the second half and not be hanging on but we were in total control, albeit against a much reduced Morton team.

I think tonight might be our best XI, even Tillson was passable.

37 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Going to break character and say I thought tonight was OK. Would have been nice to have scored when we were on top in the second half and not be hanging on but we were in total control, albeit against a much reduced Morton team.

I think tonight might be our best XI, even Tillson was passable.

Tilson played his role very well tonight. He was set out to be a destroyer and disrupter and he done that allowing Doc and Sibbald to play more fluently.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Tam Courts did, although he quickly went about lowering it again

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

You could probably make a case for Neilson as well despite how it ended up.

I was considering adding Courts, Neilson and possibly even Micky Mellon to my list - but the weird thing about all 3 is that Arabs were, in the main, quite happy when they left.  And none have gone on to anything of any note since.  So I'm not convinced they really got a boost from their time in charge of us - but even if we generously add those 3, that means 5 managers in past 30 years have gained from their time at DU. 

Not a great advert for the job.