Dundee United 23/24

Posted (edited)

I think McMann was one of the few players who I would have had no issue with starting the first game of next season, so daft imho to let a consistency good player go when there's such a rebuild required.

We've got around 10 senior players left on the books and one of them is Grimshaw.

Bit of an end of an era as far as the Glass/Mochrie/Chalmers/Meekison group goes. Seems like they've all been almost breaking through for years - but at least Fotheringham stepped up.

Edited by ArabFC

If it was purely an on-the-pitch decision, letting go of McMann is a bad idea. Even if you have a better left back coming in, you keep McMann anyway as a back up.

The rest all seem fair to me. Some of them had their moments but we need to be ruthless, ESPECIALLY if some of the wages I'm seeing are true (if Chalmers was on 2k a week then what the f**k was Glass/Mochrie/Meekison on?). What gives me hope is that Goodwin has a very good recruitment record. this last summer was a great success for us, and while yes he signed Anthony Stewart at Aberdeen, he also signed Duk, Ramadani, Clarkson, Miovski, and Scales . then going to St Mirren, he brought in McGrath (who was good for them, regardless of how he was for us), Jonathan Obika, Jak Alnwick, Joe Shaughnessey, Marcus Fraser, Connor Ronan, Alex Gogic, Scott Tanser, Greg Kiltie and others I could name that have been good to great for St. Mirren.

Goodwin can pick a player out. What he needs to prove is whether he can actually coach a team at this level for a team of Dundee United's size.

12 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Is it true you guys are trying to sign Charles Dunne?

We tried to sign him last summer but he opted for top flight football.

5 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

If it was purely an on-the-pitch decision, letting go of McMann is a bad idea. Even if you have a better left back coming in, you keep McMann anyway as a back up.

The rest all seem fair to me. Some of them had their moments but we need to be ruthless, ESPECIALLY if some of the wages I'm seeing are true (if Chalmers was on 2k a week then what the f**k was Glass/Mochrie/Meekison on?)

Quoting this section, perhaps the second paragraph explains the decisin to let McMann go: he was brought in under Asghar, and was probably on a wage which was relatively high. That's an issue that Goodwin has had to contend with during his tenure, most obviously with Birighitti, less so with Watt and Middleton, although the pair of them are likely to be at Tannadice next season. There will be others.

He's got to be given credit for working under handicapped conditions, as it was never his choice to limit the budget due to some in the squad earning beyond their worth. 

The likes of Meekison and Chalmers on a (relatively) high wage doesn't surprise me. The club can't win in that situation - had they turned into superstars (sellable assets) but had refused to sign a lowball offer, then fans would be up in arms about having to let star young players go for peanuts.

It's a tough balancing act with so many known and unknown variables.

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

Few financial experts  on here that know player salaries, course they do 😃

Taxi driver today told me watt is on 7K 

Birighitti was on about the same too I thought.

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The likes of Meekison and Chalmers on a (relatively) high wage doesn't surprise me. The club can't win in that situation - had they turned into superstars (sellable assets) but had refused to sign a lowball offer, then fans would be up in arms about having to let star young players go for peanuts.

It's a tough balancing act with so many known and unknown variables.

Regardless of being a potential sellable asset, Logan Chalmers done nothing to deserve a 3 year deal.

19 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

McMann was fine in the championship but think we are going 3 at the back next year and he doesn't produce enough going forward.

Pretty sure he was playing LCB in a back 5 in a lot of the games we played in the relegation season did he not?

can't remember much past the last few years but this must be the first time for a while that both Dundee clubs have been comfortably assured of their place in the top tier at this stage of the year?

25 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Remember Andy Goldie was telling us the aim was to produce Champions League players at United...

He was another one like Courts who were treating United as a stepping stone and speaking out in the media about "the great job we were all doing with the youths"

Confused at the relevance Andy Goldie has with Glass/Meekison/Mochrie to be honest. they were all out or nearly out the academy by the time he showed up.

Regardless, United have been pretty successful with bringing in youth players this year, Fotheringham being one of the best players in the league, Graham (if he stays) cementing himself a first-team spot, Thomson showing how he can contribute, and O'Donnell being very good away on loan. It does look like the young players are returning to what we expect them to be at United. Hopefully, O'Donnell and Mcleod (as long as they aren't sold) can break through next season and Graham/Fotheringham/Thomson can continue with where they've left off.

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

He was another one like Courts who were treating United as a stepping stone and speaking out in the media about "the great job we were all doing with the youths"

A lot of the boys that spunked Ogren’s money setting up the apparently elite youth system left pretty quickly and have had about 3 jobs in as many years since. Before accountability sets in… 

2 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Confused at the relevance Andy Goldie has with Glass/Meekison/Mochrie to be honest. they were all out or nearly out the academy by the time he showed up.

Regardless, United have been pretty successful with bringing in youth players this year, Fotheringham being one of the best players in the league, Graham (if he stays) cementing himself a first-team spot, Thomson showing how he can contribute, and O'Donnell being very good away on loan. It does look like the young players are returning to what we expect them to be at United. Hopefully, O'Donnell and Mcleod (as long as they aren't sold) can break through next season and Graham/Fotheringham/Thomson can continue with where they've left off.

It was myself that mentioned Goldie (wasn't linking it to Mochrie etc) I merely brought him in as the discussion was on the young players.

What I will say regarding your post, every single one of those players you mentioned from the academy still have it all to prove so surely we can't count them as a success yet. Fotheringham did have a good season as did Graham when he was brought in, however, it is at championship level. BTW I'm not knocking them before anyone jumps on that.

Mochrie, Glass and Meekison have all left the club without claiming a first team jersey theirs, that isn't a success 

2 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I think Goldie would of played some part in the beforementioned players as he left in 2022?

Will be interesting see how Fortheringham gets on next year. I still have reservations over whether he is a championship player at best or can make it higher. He's a hard worker, decent dribbler and seems to get in right areas considering the goals he has but I wouldn't have said he particularly stood out in games tbh but neither did a lot of the team. Still a lot of improvement needed but hopefully he keeps on getting better.

Graham has proved he can be a decent premiership player but that was in a back 5 usually alongside experienced defenders and I wonder if he can read the game well enough to cover for his lack of pace at the back next season if we are going 4ATB. I wouldn't want to be counting on him as our first choice CB next year anyway in the event he doesn't do the business.

Thomson is probably the most exciting out all the young players and looks a threat when he is further forward but no way he is a RWB in my opinion. I'm hoping Goodwin was only playing him there to make us more of an attacking threat from deep last season as we'll need a better defender in there next season.