Dundee United 23/24

Strange to only see what a goalkeeper is fully capable of in the 2nd last game of a season where he's played every game, but I think tonight showed he'll be more than good enough for the premiership.

On 28/04/2024 at 19:48, WhatDayIsIt said:

Walton, Thomson, Holt (I think), Gallagher, Graham, McMann, Grimshaw, Sibbald, Docherty, Tilson, ?, ?, Cudjoe, ?, Moult, Fotheringham, Watt, Goodwin

Mochdre and Glass?

Not necessarily in that order though...

On 28/04/2024 at 19:48, WhatDayIsIt said:

Walton, Thomson, Holt (I think), Gallagher, Graham, McMann, Grimshaw, Sibbald, Docherty, Tilson, ?, ?, Cudjoe, ?, Moult, Fotheringham, Watt, Goodwin

Wootherspoon, Mochrie & Middleton would be my guess

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Spoony confirming he's not staying. Tbf I'm quite glad of that, would rather we spent the wages on someone like McMaster at Airdrie.

Time for the transfer rumours to start eh 🤣

Can't wait!! Mind you first rumour seems to be a stadium naming deal. From the lad Shedward on East. Has a decent track record. Anyone here heard anything?

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Really hope any signings we make are clever ones. Don't need bigger names coming in to the team. Young hungry talented players please no marque signings.

That was the issue with the relegated team. It was a.team of talented individuals that somehow managed to be lesser than the sum of its parts.

Happy to have no real "stars" if we can create a real team that compliments each other and can be greater than the sum of their parts.

46 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

That was the issue with the relegated team. It was a.team of talented individuals that somehow managed to be lesser than the sum of its parts.

Happy to have no real "stars" if we can create a real team that compliments each other and can be greater than the sum of their parts.

100%

I made a point kinda similar a couple of weeks ago and then never followed up when people questioned it.

If United were to field that same squad as we fielded last night every week in the Premiership, we'd do ok. And I think if that side played against our team that was relegated, they'd win without much of a fuss. It's a good, balanced side. I reckon as well that most of our squad - if they were out of contract and looking for a club - would be picked up by most teams in the league, outwith the top 3.#

But even though we could survive in the league with that side and with other teams always susceptible to implosion, could even do surprisingly well, we still absolutely need to strengthen.

Look at David Wotherspoon as an example; lots of people replying to his farewell tweet wishing he stayed. The guy is a decent player but all we've seen is the occasional good cameo. If given the choice of keeping him on our recruiting a player who is maybe 8-10 years younger who is ready to make the step up, and who wouldn't have wanted to sign for us in the Championship, then we should.

Every player out of contract should be looked at to see if keeping them on is the best thing to do, if there are better alternatives out there. You have to keep some level of consistency in the squad though. One solid player for us this season who I probably wouldn't keep is Kevin Holt. I'd rather see us sign a better defender to partner Graham.

Most importantly though, we have to sign a good goalkeeper. Every time we've been relegated, it's been down to poor recruitment in that department. It's crucial.

5 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Look at David Wotherspoon as an example; lots of people replying to his farewell tweet wishing he stayed. The guy is a decent player but all we've seen is the occasional good cameo. If given the choice of keeping him on our recruiting a player who is maybe 8-10 years younger who is ready to make the step up, and who wouldn't have wanted to sign for us in the Championship, then we should.

A million percent this. The guy at Hearts is an example. Bangime, think we held talks with him but he didn't want to sign before but now he's out of contract.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

A million percent this. The guy at Hearts is an example. Bangime, think we held talks with him but he didn't want to sign before but now he's out of contract.

He would be a good player, but the type of signing that would worry me a bit. Our average wage 22/23 was £2885pw & we were 80 odd % turnover to wages & Hearts were £6409. Coming from Everton he's probably on a damn good wage & with his form when fit he'd easily get more than we would (should) be offering. That market of players from England not getting a chance because of the spending power to bring in ready made players & squad players is one that we should be trying to exploit. Hopefully though we now have folk at the helm who will try & be able to get that type of player with out the wages of 2 seasons ago.