Dundee United 23/24

6 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Are fans of other clubs still perplexed at the timing our season tickets went on sale? 

Not complaining, it’s the same price as I paid for the Championship this year. 

On 23/04/2024 at 12:06, Sarto Mutiny said:

If it was a pay as you play sort of thing I'd probably be fine. I like him, but his injury record is a bit of a concern. I guess St Johnstone must have got rid of him for a reason 

It's complicated.

He was a key player and I can't remember any injuries until November 2021, which he was inexplicably started against Celtic at Hampden 2 days after being in Japan for a friendly with Canada. Unsurprisingly he got injured and that was him until about September 2022, when it was kind of clear his prep was all about being fit and available for the World Cup in November.

After that he never really played much again as Callum Davidson flailed wildly about chucking shite at the wall trying to make something work by changing things every week.

MacLean came in and was faced with having to eviscerate the squad Davidson built (30+ senior players, £1.8m loss) to make us sustainable again, and when two of the higher earners are 30+ and playing the same squad role (Carey, Wotherspoon), and one is out of contract and one isn't, then he didn't have much choice but to let him go really.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Silly season starting with transfer rumours,  not heard this one but somebody on our thread mentioning our GK Josh Rae will be heading Tannadice way,    decent keeper although your boy Walton is arguably the best in the league..

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Silly season starting with transfer rumours,  not heard this one but somebody on our thread mentioning our GK Josh Rae will be heading Tannadice way,    decent keeper although your boy Walton is arguably the best in the league..

yep he has been Solid

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Interesting that Goodwin has pointed out in the media today that Walton has another year left on his contract at Luton? Most sites have him listed as out of contract in June.

Yeah, that suggestion always seemed a bit odd to me. Luton paid a fee for him only 18 months ago and then sent him out on loan last summer. Obviously the English leagues are awash with cash but that seem feckless even by their standards.

Edited by Pull My Strings

9 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Talking of feckless, I didn't realise the mighty Manchester City (along with ourselves, obviously) let him slip through their grasp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wato_Kuaté

Yep, I think that was the sole reason we gave him a game. "Ex Manchester City starlet" type nonsense. If it was a bit later he'd have been given an instant 2 year deal.

Tbf, Wato was a player. Big, strong, good technique. You could see why he'd been at a top academy. Shame he was an absolute bell-end. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wato_Kuaté

Seems to be a recurring theme: goes on trial and shows up well. Gets a contract, immediately falls out with the club and gets released early. Rinse and repeat. United did well to only give him a couple of months. 

Still just 28 and at a club which doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. 

Edited by Pull My Strings

57 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Tbf, Wato was a player. Big, strong, good technique. You could see why he'd been at a top academy. Shame he was an absolute bell-end. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wato_Kuaté

Seems to be a recurring theme: goes on trial and shows up well. Gets a contract, immediately falls out with the club and gets released early. Rinse and repeat. United did well to only give him a couple of months. 

Still just 28 and at a club which doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. 

Bring him home. 

17 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Interesting that Goodwin has pointed out in the media today that Walton has another year left on his contract at Luton? Most sites have him listed as out of contract in June.

He’s on a good wage at Luton would need to take significant drop to entertain us but playing week in week out might help our chances. 

Heard Hibs been sniffing about Ross Graham also. 

38 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

He’s on a good wage at Luton would need to take significant drop to entertain us but playing week in week out might help our chances. 

Let them sniff

5 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

Yeah over 8k isn't it? Can't really see a shed boy through and through going to Hibs even if it was for relatively better money. If I was Ross I'd be asking for a decent wedge and as guaranteed as you could starting place. He bloody deserves it.

If there's one upside to tonight's game* it's that Walton's performance has served a useful reminder that our good defensive record this year has not just been down to a solid back-line. I'd be very happy if we could get him back next season.

*Eta: Other than being crowned champions, obvz.

Edited by captainkev

9 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

Strangely enough, a Hibs fan who pays for membership of the Albion Bar at Easter Road mentioned the same thing tonight.

Reckons big wages were being offered.

Every time I see Liam Grimshaw, I think he’s the worst footballer I’ve ever seen. And then I remember we have Jordan Tillson in the same fucking team.

That was really poor tonight, but we got the point we needed (but didn’t really need). Hopefully the performance is better next week now everything is officially wrapped up

40 minutes ago, captainkev said:

If there's one upside to tonight's game* it's that Walton's performance has served a useful reminder that our good defensive record this year has not just been down to a solid back-line. I'd be very happy if we could get him back next season.

*Eta: Other than being crowned champions, obvz.

Jack Walton tonight cemented my confidence in him that he would cut it in the premier. Did have a few doubts giving the lack of what he's faced but I think over the season now I'd be very happy to have him back.