Dundee United 23/24

ve

Just now, Glen Scotia said:

Yeah i just meant he has earned a stay at the club Imo

Glass and Mochrie for whatever reason, It just isn't happening 

From what I've observed the lest few weeks/months. Glass seems completely out of the picture, Mochrie a bit further ahead in the pecking order then Meekison. We will find out soon enough when the contracts come out i guess

I'd expect both Mochrie and Meekison to be offered contracts along with McMann, Holt, Graham, and Moult. If we could convince Walton to stay too, then that would be great. 

I appreciate the desire from some guys to want to make wholesale changes but I'm not convinced. Constantly replacing decent, known quantities,  with lots of new players rarely works and more often than not leads to a team which is less than the sum of its parts. This team has got a bit of spirit and is solid enough to make a decent fist of the Premiership. It needs more quality but that should be building on top of what's there already and improving it rather than starting from scratch. Teams benefit from stability and that's what we should be looking to build on. Imo. Witness Livingston under Martingale, St Johnstone under Wright and Kilmarnock under McInnes for examples of what can be achieved by building incrementally,  versus what United, Hibs and Aberdeen have done by constantly chopping and changing after every setback. 

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd expect both Mochrie and Meekison to be offered contracts along with McMann, Holt, Graham, and Moult. If we could convince Walton to stay too, then that would be great. 

I appreciate the desire from some guys to want to make wholesale changes but I'm not convinced. Constantly replacing decent, known quantities,  with lots of new players rarely works and more often than not leads to a team which is less than the sum of its parts. This team has got a bit of spirit and is solid enough to make a decent fist of the Premiership. It needs more quality but that should be building on top of what's there already and improving it rather than starting from scratch. Teams benefit from stability and that's what we should be looking to build on. Imo. Witness Livingston under Martingale, St Johnstone under Wright and Kilmarnock under McInnes for examples of what can be achieved by building incrementally,  versus what United, Hibs and Aberdeen have done by constantly chopping and changing after every setback. 

I get what you are saying and agree especially in terms of the stability of the managers position.

The squad will need an overhaul for the premiership. No mistake about that. But given that Goodwin knows the squad better than anyone else out there, I'm inclined to stick with him and see if he can build us a squad to compete in the prem. 

11 hours ago, Fife Arab said:

Doc season could be over. Been excellent when he plays but this injury record is a worry if we go up to premiership. 

He's a really good player, evidenced by our points gained with / without him in the team, so he'll clearly be missed.

He hurt his back doing the strenuous task of putting a Morton corner behind for another corner on Friday. His back seems to cause him a lot grief. Was surprised he managed to continue on Friday - maybe he got by on adrenaline?

Shame, cause he's very decent, but would I be right in thinking, come the end of the season, he'll have missed more games than he's played? However good he is, a team with the finances of Dundee United, can't really afford a player to be as absent as often as that. May have to, reluctantly, look to offload in the summer?

Let's say you need a squad of 20 plus scope for Academy guys to fill up the bench, if you keep the following:   Thomson, Gallagher, Holt, Graham, McMann, Fotheringham, Docherty, Sibbald, Mochrie, Meekison, Watt, Moult, that gives you 12. You'd need to add two keepers, at least one right, centre half, another solid midfielder, and another three forwards/wingers. That's already a big job and a hefty turnover. If you don't keep a fair proportion of the guys I'd mentioned then you're quickly looking at 10, 12, 15 (whatever) new guys who have never played together before and hoping that they all work. That's a big ask and you're just giving away some decent partnerships which have worked well this season.

For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, this is a good championship team. It won't be a good premiership team but it might be the basis of a half decent premiership team which can be built on by bringing in better individuals and continuing to develop. 

I've left out Middleton and Grimshaw from that squad. I wouldn't necessarily be chasing them away but I can't see Grimshaw ever being more than a stopgap now and Middleton,  for all his obvious positive attributes, just doesn't seem to have the dig necessary to be relied upon.

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Do you reckon Kevin Holt is top flight standard? Especially now he plays centre half?

Genuine question - really liked him at Dens but that was at left back and often thought he struggled with top flight physicality. 

4 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Do you reckon Kevin Holt is top flight standard? Especially now he plays centre half?

Genuine question - really liked him at Dens but that was at left back and often thought he struggled with top flight physicality. 

He had a good first half of the season, he is brilliant at reading the game.  If he was struggling with physicality previously that hasn't improved, George Oakley ripped him apart at Tannadice a few months ago

18 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

He's been excellent this season and very reliable. It's a step up but I think he'd do okay for another year. I'd have Holt and Graham as the two competing for the left sided centre half slot and would expect Graham to cement that position eventually. He's a calm, solid presence.

16 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

He had a good first half of the season, he is brilliant at reading the game.  If he was struggling with physicality previously that hasn't improved, George Oakley ripped him apart at Tannadice a few months ago

Nah, it was Graham who was battered by Oakley that day and, tbf, you wouldn't get away with half that shit in the premiership. 

19 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nah, it was Graham who was battered by Oakley that day and, tbf, you wouldn't get away with half that shit in the premiership. 

This was my thinking. Thon referee that day let them away with murder.

40 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nope.  Go back and watch the three goals, especially the second and the third.  Holt was completely outmuscled by him

Cheers guys - I think if I was an Arab I’d be worried about him there - and I think your brief sabbatical has perhaps skewed your perception of the standard of refereeing in the top flight.

We have Curtis Main for example who just slowly ambles about bullying defenders relatively unchecked 

I’ve seen bits of the young lad Graham and he looks to have a decent future - be interesting to see how he copes with the step up. I’m assuming Declan Gallagher is your other CH? Also a player I liked at Dens - how’s his legs holding up?

I’d imagine he’ll be like Joe Shaughnessy for us - wins everything in the air but perhaps legs gone a little and a wee mistake in him? 

48 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Nope.  Go back and watch the three goals, especially the second and the third.  Holt was completely outmuscled by him

Just watched them back. First is a good jump and header from Oakley, second Holt gets in front of Oakley but then misses his header. Nothing to do with Holt losing a physical battle in either of those. United certainly struggled to cope with Oakley that day, partly because Oakley is just a big strong laddie and partly because the referee was being a bit lax in pulling him up on the dirty side of the game, but I don't think Holt stood out as struggling any more than anyone else.

Edited by Pull My Strings

42 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Cheers guys - I think if I was an Arab I’d be worried about him there - and I think your brief sabbatical has perhaps skewed your perception of the standard of refereeing in the top flight.

We have Curtis Main for example who just slowly ambles about bullying defenders relatively unchecked 

I’ve seen bits of the young lad Graham and he looks to have a decent future - be interesting to see how he copes with the step up. I’m assuming Declan Gallagher is your other CH? Also a player I liked at Dens - how’s his legs holding up?

I’d imagine he’ll be like Joe Shaughnessy for us - wins everything in the air but perhaps legs gone a little and a wee mistake in him? 

Yeah, the standard of refereeing in the Premiership is also gash, no argument there, but I think you're less likely to get away with all the fly, dirty stuff that goes on in the lower divisions because it'll be caught by VAR.