The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

Rangers is hardly a good comparison 

You were the one who said ALL RECORDS.🤷‍♂️

12-13 Queen of the South is probably a decent comparison. Could well pip their record but there's not much leeway left.
image.png.039d7ac90e58054dacecf2dbf212e941.png

Edited by LeodhasXD

Worth remembering that this isn’t Rankins first season either. He had a full season to turn it around last year and couldn’t stop relegation against a poor Arbroath and Cove Rangers. I was happy to give him the start of the season but it’s not working.

Just now, manxaccie said:

Worth remembering that this isn’t Rankins first season either. He had a full season to turn it around last year and couldn’t stop relegation against a poor Arbroath and Cove Rangers. I was happy to give him the start of the season but it’s not working.

Exactly. 

53 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

You were the one who said ALL RECORDS.🤷‍♂️

12-13 Queen of the South is probably a decent comparison. Could well pip their record but there's not much leeway left.
image.png.039d7ac90e58054dacecf2dbf212e941.png

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass about records, only interested in getting promotion. If for example we're in the fortunate position to be guaranteed promotion with say 3 games left to play, it wouldn't worry me in the slightest if we lost the final 3 games, I just want out of this hellhole of a league.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Records don’t mean anything to me either, just get out this league.

It’s interesting an Accies fan spoke in an earlier post about your team being bullied, that was us for 4 seasons, we seemed to think we had a god given right because we were full time and paying higher wages we could pay our way out this league and you can’t. There are a lot of part time players that are better quality than the full time duffers we employed for so long.

It’s been a long haul for us to finally get a manager who has assembled a squad with a winning mentality to get us in the position we are. I’m still not taking anything for granted as we’ve been kicked in the nuts so many times before.

I can understand Accies fans wanting Rankin gone, we aren’t watching you week in, week out and most of us were of the same mind when we witnessed Falkirk getting outplayed by part time teams.

Its a hard league to get out of and I think too many of us under estimate a lot of the teams around us.

16 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Its a hard league to get out of and I think too many of us under estimate a lot of the teams around us.

That was the point I was making, outside Alloa mind you. 😀
Hamilton fans have fallen into our trap of over estimating themselves and underestimating the rest. 
Someone post a list of their players and I am sure there was over 30 on it. Granted that included, as far as I could see, 3 that had left. Way way too many players to keep happy 

Edited by BPM

it's been a truly furking miserable 5 years in this league and I wouldn't wish it in anyone except Dunfermline (GIRFUT). If we (Falkirk) go up then the in fighting and fan/board hatred of each other which we had will need to be resolved or you'll end up like we've been. 

3 hours ago, BPM said:

think you are both over estimating how good your squad is TBH

I can't speak for other Accies fans but I can assure this is not the case for me. I appreciate you are sticking to your narrative as you see pointing out Rankins obvious shortcomings as detracting from Falkirks achievements. I don't believe it does btw.

As we have watched Rankins tenure unfold over two seasons in two different leagues now, I would suggest Accies fans are in a better position to give a more balanced view of his performance. There has been numerous changes in the squad and a range of opposition, however the same factors occur over and over again that result in many of our fans (not all but I'd say most) view being he is not the man for the job.

This league, as we all know is very difficult to get out of so it is imperative that we get out at the earliest opportunity. Although I felt Rankin was largely responsible for our relegation last year, as a rookie manager I argued that he deserved another chance this season (especially due to the circumstances of last season) However, despite being well backed, and having played a part in bringing a number of new players in, the same issues remain.

Certain players are dropped or fall out favour after one mistake or poor game whilst others produce nothing yet are picked every week. Rumours of fall outs with players circulate every week, promising youth players are farmed out without a chance of playing whilst haddies are brought in and hyped up then deliver little. Players played out of position, pointless inefective formation changes, baffling subs (see Saturday). The list goes on and on.

In his defence, Rankin seems a strong character and my view is he is a good coach or would be a good assistant to a more experienced, more savy manager. I conceed that the assistant he has is no where near fit for purpose and he deserves better. I also suspect our club "supremo" will interfere in a lot of things which can't be easy, but then he has allegedly played a part in bringing in players that at the time, lots of fans were happy with.

As for the board, my own view is they have taken too long to act but I reluctantly respect that they have stood by their man. As much as I don't think he should keep his job, I am also realistic and think he is here until the end of the season. As others have highlighted, as much as I'd like to at least see him step back to a coaching role, the issue is realistically who could we now get and who would take it

Not a loaded question but as a case in point, is Tait looking a better player in a well organised team with an experiebced manager?

Edited by Beckford

Cheers, tbh think he will do well. Felt we didn't play to his strengths. Be interesting to see how he develops. Always easier to do well in a happy camp and a team that's winning right enough. Will need no extra motivation come Saturday if he gets a chance (for a GIRFUY)

47 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Accies should try get Stewart Petrie imho if they were to get rid of Rankin. An experienced manager who's due a crack at a full time gig, his Montrose teams have always been organised and tough to beat. 

That's actually a good shout and a guy I like as well however I think he has something outside football so won't go full-time. 

Tait's not really a decent example as nobody's really managed to get a tune out of him the last few years. McGlynn knows him inside out given he brought him through as a 17 year old so he was always more likely to get a tune out of him.

Managers live and die by their recruitment, Rankin brought too many of the same type of players in over the summer(or was it Strain?)and add in the fact your best players are out injured for a massive whack of the season it was never going to be easy. 

You have been unlucky with injuries, with your captain and keeper getting injured against us. Benedictus was a massive player for the Pars last season and played most of their games, touch wood we have had the same fortune this season with Big Tam Lang who has been the glue in our squad both in holding us together and bringing Coll on to a different level.

McGlynn’s got his recruitment spot on this season though, Miller, Spencer, McIver, Lang have all enhanced our squad so much and even Tait, Shanley, Agyeman, Oliver etc are all capable of coming of the bench and doing a job.

As BPM alluded to we have sacrificed quantity for quality and if you can avoid injury to key players, it’s the way to go.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

23 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

You have been unlucky with injuries, with your captain and keeper getting injured against us. 

Injuries is not an excuse and a very poor attempt at defending Rankin as a Falkirk fan said we have a massive squad we should be able to handle 3 injuries. We've just dropped points at home to 2 part time teams who couldn't fill their benches so don't come out with that garbage.

3 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Injuries is not an excuse and a very poor attempt at defending Rankin as a Falkirk fan said we have a massive squad we should be able to handle 3 injuries. We've just dropped points at home to 2 part time teams who couldn't fill their benches so don't come out with that garbage.

I’m not defending Rankin, I couldn’t give a shit if you sacked him.  No good having a massive squad, as we have also had in the past if the replacements are not up to the job. 

Again I think you are falling into the same trap we did for years of thinking, just because you have a big full time squad you should be dispatching opposition easily and it just doesn’t work like that down here.

4 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

i would say Gary Bowyer who was at Dundee last season and got them promoted then was sacked he was recently linked with the Ayr job as well. Would have said Darren Young at Stirling but he's signed a new contract there so that's probably unlikely now. 

But I thought your owner has money. 

20 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’m not defending Rankin, I couldn’t give a shit if you sacked him.  No good having a massive squad, as we have also had in the past if the replacements are not up to the job. 

Again I think you are falling into the same trap we did for years of thinking, just because you have a big full time squad you should be dispatching opposition easily and it just doesn’t work like that down here.

I think most of the replacements are up for the job just not really been given a shot by Rankin and he just keeps playing his favourites. Some of the many examples of this is that's he stuck with Dylan McGowan the full season even though every Accies fan can see he needs to be dropped as he's been rotten and comes across as one of these players who thinks he's a lot better than what he actually is if I was John McGlynn I would be telling the Falkirk players to put pressure on him on Saturday same with Tumilty who's also been very disappointing this season and not been dropped. He kept bringing on Andy Winter and Joel Mumbongo over Joe McGlynn for weeks when it's clear McGlynn is milles better than those 2. Mumbongo and McGlynn are now out on loan I'm expecting McGlynn to score a good amount of goals at Kelty and he's one to watch. He also didn't give Chrissy McGinn a chance this season when he impressed last season in the championship and was excellent in our Uefa Youth league game and instead sees Stephen Hendrie as a better option who again is rotten.