Conference League: The Vote

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

6 month until they think we've forgotten about B teams and the next attempt to get them up and running is on the go.

Something so cynical about the SFA cancelling the vote so that they don't have to deal with an overwhelming rejection.

Sevco and Celtic do still loan out plenty of players to other clubs.

In the season just gone Celtic loaned out four to other Scottish clubs. Sevco loaned out ten.*

*Both figures according to Wikipedia

4 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Remind me. What was Killies voting intention ?

We didn't state one either way - the only comment was our manager saying it wasn't for him. I'm not really sure why it's relevant to my post here, which had nothing to do with the Conference League.

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Yeah what I meant was did anyone come out in favour of it.  

Agree with all the attention seeking whoremongering clubs though. Disgusting. 

4 hours ago, Moorie said:

Bora I think we’re one who wrote for it 

25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Typical.

Brora were making 'pro' noises initially,but that was the view of one man at the club. They stated last week they were voting against it after fan feedback.

5 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Why dont Maxwell and old firm put their money and energy into bringing over some Croatian coaches now see if that works? If all they are bothered about is improving the national team?

No see the reason the U21s results are shite is because no B teams. Nothing to do with the two shite coaches that have been in charge for the last decade...

5 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Why dont Maxwell and old firm put their money and energy into bringing over some Croatian coaches now see if that works? If all they are bothered about is improving the national team?

Surely not Scott Gemmill's fault?

4 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Something so cynical about the SFA cancelling the vote so that they don't have to deal with an overwhelming rejection.

The care more about looking bad in front of their peers than the 200 clubs they could have relegated.

What was that about self interest?

6 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

You can be rest assured the SFA will be back with some pro-Celtic & The Rangers suggestion before too long, under the guise of helping promote the progression of young players.

Ian Maxwell is so massively out of his depth.   
He’s an absolute clown 

I would say Ian Maxwell is a useful idiot, but he can't really be that much of an idiot if he has wangled £300k+ a year. 

Surprising how quiet Doncaster has been, given that he is one of the two directors of The Scottish Conference League Limited and the Chief Executive of the sole shareholder (the SPFL).

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

We didn't state one either way - the only comment was our manager saying it wasn't for him. I'm not really sure why it's relevant to my post here, which had nothing to do with the Conference League.

Imagine my surprise when Killie hide behind the parapet 

They have previous under that weasel Michael Johnson 

3 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Imagine my surprise when Killie hide behind the parapet 

They have previous under that weasel Michael Johnson 

Killie were in exactly the same position as your own club here - it was made clear that we would not be participating in it, but not how we would be voting.

4 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

Be interesting to see if the company they have set up now gets dissolved, could be worth keeping an eye on it....

Good point.  It's simple to register with Companies House and you can then follow a company, which mean that Companies House send you notifications of the company's activity e.g. changes of directors, filing of accounts.  I have done so and it would be nice to be able to report on dissolution.  However, like others I suspect the incompetent charlatans and weasels behind this proposal haven't quite given up yet. 

I think it would be worth supporters asking clubs if they will now publish the proposal sent to them on their websites in the interests of transparency (I have e-mailed the SLO at Queens).  I suspect they will say that the SFA forbids this.  If so it would be nice if a journalist could ask the SFA if they will publish the proposal and, if not, why not. 

Edited by Parttimesupporter
now not new

6 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

Chuckle at wanting overwhelming support not 51-49 and not wanting to split pyramid. It would've been overwhelmingly beaten today and even in SPFL 1/2 of clubs (2/3 of L1+L2) had already publicly declared against.

Overall there was no path to even reach 2:1 margin of defeat, and 3:1 was most likely - maybe even worse, if reluctant read the room or saw how the wind was blowing.

Tellingly not a single club or organisation at any level proved willing to publicly declare in favour, either.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Any genuine thoughts on how we beat the B Team suggestion for good?

I think everyone wants the best for Scottish football, but B Teams are wildly unpopular with the majority of Scottish football fans as far as I can tell. Every attempt at change hat focuses on them feels like such a waste of time and not sure why those in charge don't get the message.

We don't do boycotts particularly well in Scotland and would be impossible to organise. The social media and particularly Twitter response was amazing this time, but that probably took off because it was a yes/no with a concrete vote to rally against.

Is there anything we can do?

It's quite interesting to see these things from a wider context. The Pro-B Team lobby like to point out that they do it in other countries, but that doesn't mean it's popular there. I speak German and one of the things I do is follow a couple of Austrian P&B-like sites just for reading practice and to keep up with the football there.

One of the forums has a long-running thread just like the 'How do you solve a problem like...' thread. These issues affect all the smaller leagues.

Anyway, a common view on that thread and others like it is that the B-Teams in Austria are counter productive. Austrian B-Teams can play all the way up to the second tier, but a lot of fans point out that this means the big clubs' best young players spend the season playing against utter shite in the second tier rather than getting opportunities in the top flight, which they are locked out of by being in the B-Team. And the existence of the B-Team makes them keep a bigger squad. So, it doesn't feed into the first team as planned. So, what's the point?

B-Teams are one of these things that can sound sensible as a concept. But they really make no sense for us in Scotland and they'd be a disaster for our lower league system.

I was fairly neutral towards maxwell up until recently. His mewling over this and VAR has been pretty grim to listen to. 

He clearly sees supporters objection to B teams as just an annoyance in his plan to get it through. 

This isn’t going away, unfortunately. 

From the Lowland League “National Conference League” thread:

Highland ITFC – 7th June, 2023

It also involves clubs having a policy of giving younger players the opportunity to play First Team football. You can look at football at all levels & will see some clubs / managers that relish the chance to give young players the opportunity to progress, & equally you'll see as many, if not more, that will always prefer to rely on 'experience'. There is of course a place for that as well, but more clubs using more younger players - & not just as lip service by having them in the squad / warming the bench - has to have a place in a strategic approach to player development across the game in Scotland.

Dev

This all goes back to the decision to have small divisions of just 10 or 12 clubs each. This may make for a situation where "every match counts" BUT in say 16 club divisions there will be more matches where coaches/managers will feel more comfortable fielding young and up and coming players. This is simply because there is less pressure, fear of relegation or fighting for promotion. The same principle applies to the concept of having play-offs as these could affect virtually every club in each division - so heightening the risks associated with fielding less experienced players.

Small divisions with play-offs may be more exciting but it's turning down the tap which controls the flow of talent. It is little surprise, therefore, that the national age group teams get less successful as they get older. One thing leads to another!

Another benefit of larger divisions is that there is more Diversity. More clubs playing in various differing styles with more and different types of players. There's also more opportunity for Scottish-qualified players and coaches/managers to operate at a higher level within the SPFL set-up.

At the end of the day the same clubs will be at the top of the Premier Division so what is there to fear for them from bringing in such improvements?