2023/24 New Season New Hope.

5 hours ago, AML67 said:

Dumfries YMCA and Annan U18s were both in the SOSFL , the former for around 3 or 4 seasons and the latter just one I believe. There will be no new applicants this year either so it is what it is for now I’m afraid !

I have mentioned sustainability several times in connection with South teams desperately trying to win the League by using finance as their only real competitive leverage rather than bring players through but ultimately that model will fail as it did at the likes of Tarff back in the day. We all know Pyramid play off success is to say the least highly unlikely unless neither the West or East produce licensed winners .

From our own point of view we will continue to promote youth players and hopefully filter them into a team that is already performing fairly successfully against opponents that choose to go down that other familiar old road 💰

Looking forward to next season already and we will see where that takes us all although I still feel that some form of amalgamation with the West isn’t as far away on the horizon as some would believe ! Clubs need to  live within their means but be ready when the times comes to embrace these new challenges as Threave have already done. I for one look forward to that day if it ultimately transpires that this will be the future for the South.

The WOSFL is full as they set their limit at 80 clubs., so unless a licenced club wins promotion to the Lowland and no one comes down(which isn't going to happen any time soon) it's a closed shop.

Don't see a major change anytime soon.  Barring 3/4 clubs up the top end, I can't imagine it would suit the rest to jump over to the WOS, so maybe over time a handful of individual clubs do what Threave did. Not worth the extra travel or the pumpings. 

1 hour ago, Benidorm said:

Don't see a major change anytime soon.  Barring 3/4 clubs up the top end, I can't imagine it would suit the rest to jump over to the WOS, so maybe over time a handful of individual clubs do what Threave did. Not worth the extra travel or the pumpings. 

A major issue for that possibly happening now is that the WOSFL have stated that they are unwilling to go above 80 clubs.

That is why there was a vote  between Knightswood and Dumbarton St.Pat's, in 2023. There was only one space available in the WOSFL.

For any amalgamation between the 2 to take place there would now need to be a restructuring of the pyramid setup.

The only league open for clubs in the West is the SOSFL.

On 22/05/2024 at 05:46, AML67 said:

Dumfries YMCA and Annan U18s were both in the SOSFL , the former for around 3 or 4 seasons and the latter just one I believe. There will be no new applicants this year either so it is what it is for now I’m afraid !

I have mentioned sustainability several times in connection with South teams desperately trying to win the League by using finance as their only real competitive leverage rather than bring players through but ultimately that model will fail as it did at the likes of Tarff back in the day. We all know Pyramid play off success is to say the least highly unlikely unless neither the West or East produce licensed winners .

From our own point of view we will continue to promote youth players and hopefully filter them into a team that is already performing fairly successfully against opponents that choose to go down that other familiar old road 💰

Looking forward to next season already and we will see where that takes us all although I still feel that some form of amalgamation with the West isn’t as far away on the horizon as some would believe ! Clubs need to  live within their means but be ready when the times comes to embrace these new challenges as Threave have already done. I for one look forward to that day if it ultimately transpires that this will be the future for the South.

Id like to see Annan have a team in the SOS next season TBH., Im hoping its on Wullie to do list,

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

A major issue for that possibly happening now is that the WOSFL have stated that they are unwilling to go above 80 clubs.

That is why there was a vote  between Knightswood and Dumbarton St.Pat's, in 2023. There was only one space available in the WOSFL.

For any amalgamation between the 2 to take place there would now need to be a restructuring of the pyramid setup.

The only league open for clubs in the West is the SOSFL.

I know what you mean, but even presuming vacancies arise via promotions or clubs resigning/folding I don't envisage a rush of applicants from the South to the West. In my opinion, I don't see what the positives are for the top teams hammering the rest of the field most weeks and clinging on for the odd competitive game here and there....to then hopefully getting into the Lowland League to suffer constant hammerings in the hope of pulling off the occasional result, it's two extremes for me. Going to the West and finding your level somewhere in the middle like Threave would be a preferable future, purely in my opinion of course. Which counts for nothing!

Edited by Benidorm

21 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

I know what you mean, but even presuming vacancies arise via promotions or clubs resigning/folding I don't envisage a rush of applicants from the South to the West. In my opinion, I don't see what the positives are for the top teams hammering the rest of the field most weeks and clinging on for the odd competitive game here and there....to then hopefully getting into the Lowland League to suffer constant hammerings in the hope of pulling off the occasional result, it's two extremes for me. Going to the West and finding your level somewhere in the middle like Threave would be a preferable future, purely in my opinion of course. Which counts for nothing!

The problem for the South is more the potential of a death by a 1,000 cuts. Not all of which would be teams heading West.

Wigtown & Bladnoch went into abeyance recently. Doesn't feel like they've ever recovered. Don't think anyone would be all that surprised if they disappeared for good.

Stranraer reserves have come and gone in the past.

If the league ends up contracted. Its not looking like there will be alternatives to replace them. I don't see everyone hanging as most did during earlier x3 a season lows.

2 hours ago, Benidorm said:

it is a potential minefield for SOSFL clubs to enter the WOSFL if there were any future vacancies.

There are questions they need to ask first, examples being;

Would their fanbase be happy losing the more localised matches to play clubs they quite frankly may never have heard of and have no interest in?

Would the players be happy with the extra commitment travelling up to the central belt week in week out?

Following on from playing staff; would they be able to put out a competitive enough team to compete?

As a individual club is the finances there to support the potential extra costs involved?

There possibly will be other questions that I wouldn't think of.

On the playing side; Threave have not exactly set the heather on fire either season in the WOSFL. 

I have been to quote a few WOSFL v SOSFL games are there is a noticeable gulf between the 2 leagues. So would clubs be willing to possibly struggle in a WOSFL setup, if only initially.

Personally the only way I see the WOSFL and SOSFL becoming integrated is if it is 'forced' upon them by the SFA as part of a pyramid restructuring.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The problem for the South is more the potential of a death by a 1,000 cuts. Not all of which would be teams heading West.

Wigtown & Bladnoch went into abeyance recently. Doesn't feel like they've ever recovered. Don't think anyone would be all that surprised if they disappeared for good.

Stranraer reserves have come and gone in the past.

If the league ends up contracted. Its not looking like there will be alternatives to replace them. I don't see everyone hanging as most did during earlier x3 a season lows.

W&B from what I've seen are almost a youth team; they got 7, if I recall right, from Galloway Thistle U17's at start of season and have subsequently lost at least 2 to Threave U20's. Some of the scoreline's they have been on the end of are quite distressing for anyone associated with the club.

Personally I do not like or agree with reserve or b teams or youth teams being in any of the pyramid leagues. It is not the job of other clubs to help develop or accommodate other teams 2nd choices or youths or players returning from injury.

27 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

it is a potential minefield for SOSFL clubs to enter the WOSFL if there were any future vacancies.

There are questions they need to ask first, examples being;

Would their fanbase be happy losing the more localised matches to play clubs they quite frankly may never have heard of and have no interest in?

Would the players be happy with the extra commitment travelling up to the central belt week in week out?

Following on from playing staff; would they be able to put out a competitive enough team to compete?

As a individual club is the finances there to support the potential extra costs involved?

There possibly will be other questions that I wouldn't think of.

On the playing side; Threave have not exactly set the heather on fire either season in the WOSFL. 

I have been to quote a few WOSFL v SOSFL games are there is a noticeable gulf between the 2 leagues. So would clubs be willing to possibly struggle in a WOSFL setup, if only initially.

Personally the only way I see the WOSFL and SOSFL becoming integrated is if it is 'forced' upon them by the SFA as part of a pyramid restructuring.

Think you are being unfair to Threave to be honest. Promoted first year and a very solid second year, weren't far off a double promotion actually. What's the expectation? They were deadwood in a much weaker LL years ago so they aren't going to be Beith or Clydebank. 

If you harbour ambitions to go up the LL then you could definitely handle a WOS travel schedule. Like Threave, would Dalbeattie be any less resourced than say Girvan or Kello or any of the long term ex junior teams now in division 4 of the West?  Its up to clubs what they want to do ultimately but the evidence suggests though that a top SOS team playing in the WOS system wouldn't be a death sentence. 

6 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

Think you are being unfair to Threave to be honest. Promoted first year and a very solid second year, weren't far off a double promotion actually. What's the expectation? They were deadwood in a much weaker LL years ago so they aren't going to be Beith or Clydebank. 

If you harbour ambitions to go up the LL then you could definitely handle a WOS travel schedule. Like Threave, would Dalbeattie be any less resourced than say Girvan or Kello or any of the long term ex junior teams now in division 4 of the West?  Its up to clubs what they want to do ultimately but the evidence suggests though that a top SOS team playing in the WOS system wouldn't be a death sentence. 

I admit straight up, I can be a very hard critic.

I have watched Threave a lot in the 2 seasons they have been in the WOSFL.

In Div 4 they were up against amateurs and youth players in the main. Whilst they won a number of games comfortably, they came up short against the only tough teams in that Division; namely West Park, Kilsyth Athletic and St.Peters.

They did beat St.Peters comfortably in Jan, but only beat Kilsyth and West Park after both were promoted and had partying on their minds.

This season should not have come down to needing to win their last six or so games. Far too many soft draws and defeats throughout the season.

If they don't go up comfortably next season; I can see a potential decline taking place at Meadow Park.

I have my own thoughts on the level Threave should be aspiring to, prefer to keep that private for now.

I don't believe that the LL is the Holy Grail for all clubs, dependent on your finances and structure being a West Prem/1stDiv club is a fairly decent and sustainable future to aspire to. There are enough good quality and decent sized clubs in the WOSFL to safely withstand losing the Talbots, Bankies and Polloks of this world, and it still being a competitive and financially viable league to be in.

13 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

So what happens if broomhill finish bottom of the lowland league next season and jeanfield get promoted from the EoS league? 

52 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

To get into the Second Division where Bonnyton are, now they've managed to stop falling down the divisions? That's probably the right level for the top SOS clubs.

9 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

So what happens if broomhill finish bottom of the lowland league next season and jeanfield get promoted from the EoS league? 

The WOSFL will become 81 clubs accommodate this and if it happened the following season 82 if say Albion Rovers go down. There is a rule change coming in to cover this scenario.

On a separate note if Broomhill St.Pat's were to be relegated, every single club will go back to the juniors as that will be the end of the world for senior football in the west.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 22/05/2024 at 05:46, AML67 said:

Max High FPs and the Crichton, two ex league winners,  Blackwood Dynamos, Dumfries High FPs, and Dumfries FC who even moved to a new ground at Glencaple.

What happened to that Wellington team from Glasgow? No interest this year or not allowed on geographical terms?

29 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Max High FPs and the Crichton, two ex league winners,  Blackwood Dynamos, Dumfries High FPs, and Dumfries FC who even moved to a new ground at Glencaple.

What happened to that Wellington team from Glasgow? No interest this year or not allowed on geographical terms?

Wellington were rejected by the clubs, I think mainly on not having an actual proper ground or being a actual proper team.

Started few years back another Internet club, only wanted in for publicity and potential notoriety.

I fear that other than sticking with what we have and possibly Gretna coming down, the SOSFL will only potentially lose clubs from now on in. Just have to make the best of what we have.

Not good news from Albyn; is that the future for SOSFL, whipping boys for the central belt biggies.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Just what you'd expect from two evenly balanced sides at the same level of the pyramid.

Star did play 60mims with 10 men and it was only 3-1 at that stage.

Where is that damn straw. 😁😁

Honestly, nobody down here has any delusions about the comparative level of the SOSFL compared with the 2 big brothers up north. (was very tempted to say 2 arsecheeks), naughty boy that I am.

But, realistically what can be done about it.

2 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Star did play 60mims with 10 men and it was only 3-1 at that stage.

Where is that damn straw. 😁😁

Honestly, nobody down here has any delusions about the comparative level of the SOSFL compared with the 2 big brothers up north. (was very tempted to say 2 arsecheeks), naughty boy that I am.

But, realistically what can be done about it.

It has to be said , the SOSFL were at least able to supply a licensed champion.