Clyde Season 23/24

2 hours ago, CM. said:

Leighfield
Lyon - Sula - Grant - Craig
Carswell - Cuddihy
Scullion - Forbes - Cameron
Rennie

Really frightening starting 11 that and I don’t mean ina hood way obviously.

Even More concerning is the fact that the opportunity was there to clear some of the players who patently not good enough or finished… Parry, P Grant, Cameron in particular. As I said previously I would have liked a small squad with quality rather than just filling the side out. Getting points on the board early is vital.
I realise it’s not as easy as we fans probably think to attract players to a club like ours at the moment but I do get a sense that Duffy has been a bit lazy here.. currrent players and ones he knows the only one he seems to be signing. I repeat the signing of Parry and Grant baffle me. 

Due to Duffy still being involved I fully expect that now that Doherty is gone we will see a Rennie partnership with either Sula/ or Dunachie playing up front. And i'm not even kidding. His track record of trying Sula up front once or twice last year, and his previous for playing Pat Scullion up front years ago at this level, makes it easy to imagine Duffy advising Mclean to just try chucking one of them up there instead of trying to bring a striker in.

Edited by BonnieClyde
Mistake

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I think we're more likely to see Forbes out on the right to swing balls in. Absolutely no way he can be trusted as a no. 10. He cannot move. I believe he played on the right mainly for Stenny last season although @Francesc Fabregas will be able to advise properly. At least if he's out there, he can tuck in to allow the overlap.

Aye, if you're playing a 4-2-3-1 system, that's where you'll most likely see Ross Forbes. He did play as part of the two on occasion (can youimagine a slower midfield than Forbes and Nat Wedderburn!) and sometimes as a false nine, which he was remarkably adept at. I've said before, he definitely has talent and unique skillset but it's just incompatible with the demands of modern lower-league Scottish football.

That is the annoying thing we had the chance to get rid of the dross like Lyon and Cameron and we haven’t. Probably going to be starters this season too when everyone can tell that they’re just not good enough. I know I make Lyon a bit of a scapegoat but don’t think I’ve disliked a player as much as him for a long time. He’s just hopeless

3 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

As I said previously I would have liked a small squad with quality rather than just filling the side out.

I have said this before.

I would have signed only 14 players using the budget to get as much quality in as possible then filled out the squad with 6 loans.

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

I know I make Lyon a bit of a scapegoat but don’t think I’ve disliked a player as much as him for a long time. He’s just hopeless

Personally I think Lyons is ok.  Now he cant defend or cross the ball (not the best qualities for a full back) but dont think he is a full back and would be more suited to a place further forward or even inside one in midfield.

As for Cameron, totally agree.  Absolutely hopeless and can near enough guarantee will be anonymous in most of the games he plays.

Was pretty much of the same opinion of Scullion last year but in fairness he did come on to a bit of a game towards the end of the season so worth another go.  Whereas Cameron showed absolutely nothing for the entire season.

43 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Personally I think Lyons is ok.  Now he cant defend or cross the ball (not the best qualities for a full back) but dont think he is a full back and would be more suited to a place further forward or even inside one in midfield.

He cannae tackle, win a header, find a man with a pass or shoot, either, so not sure where he would be useful to play!

The fact we can see the qualities he lacks and Duffy and Lennon still persisted with him at right back is embarrassing.

Saying that, apart from Cuddihy, who else could’ve played there?!

We are a shambles!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

52 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He’s not great but he’s not as bad as some folk make out. He was fairly steady towards the end of last season. He is actually pretty good at driving forward and carrying the ball up the park, unfortunately his final ball is nearly always garbage. His decision making is not great either leading him to just hoof the ball at times. To be fair to him, despite being a constant scapegoat, he doesn’t hide and always puts in a shift. He is also one of the few I’ve seen who acknowledges the young fans, even when things haven’t went well on the park.

6 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

He’s not great but he’s not as bad as some folk make out. He was fairly steady towards the end of last season. He is actually pretty good at driving forward and carrying the ball up the park, unfortunately his final ball is nearly always garbage. His decision making is not great either leading him to just hoof the ball at times. To be fair to him, despite being a constant scapegoat, he doesn’t hide and always puts in a shift. He is also one of the few I’ve seen who acknowledges the young fans, even when things haven’t went well on the park.

I think the real problem is sula.Brian McLean was a good centre back and playing next to sula did help sula to the point he was useless if McLean wasn’t playing.I doubt McLean will get a tune out of sula next season.

What part off were utter skint are some of.you no getting... Scullion, Craig, Cuddihy and a fully fit Rennie will stroll L2...

Duffy is the master of defending, Young pup from well beside Sula or Grant not worst combo...

Our issue and most clubs in L1/L2 is there not enough Ian Harty types kicking about no more...

Gavin Reilly at Queens might be worth a phone call considering hes not fancied down there and with KD joinin them must be pushing him down the pecking order..

Toodle pip and mind were skint!!

10 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

What part off were utter skint are some of.you no getting... Scullion, Craig, Cuddihy and a fully fit Rennie will stroll L2...

I don’t understand why you think this. Don’t get me wrong, Id love it to be the case, but there hasn’t been any evidence whatsoever. A fully fit Barry Cuddihy didn’t “stroll” League 2 to before and we were absolutely embarrassed last season. We were beaten by one of the worst teams I’ve ever seen in the professional leagues in last seasons Peterhead and they seem to have signed well.

I don’t think there can be any doubt that we’ve re-signed too many of last seasons squad. The wages would have been better spent elsewhere if we had done some actual recruitment and done it early.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I don’t understand why you think this. Don’t get me wrong, Id love it to be the case, but there hasn’t been any evidence whatsoever. A fully fit Barry Cuddihy didn’t “stroll” League 2 to 

To be fair to Cuddihy he was absolutely incredible the season we got promoted and  he was given our player of the year award that season in a team that was full of talent. All whilst being played out of position at RB. He certainly has the quality to stand out at this level but that was a long time ago in football terms and a few injuries ago also.

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

To be fair to Cuddihy he was absolutely incredible the season we got promoted and  he was given our player of the year award that season in a team that was full of talent. All whilst being played out of position at RB. He certainly has the quality to stand out at this level but that was a long time ago in football terms and a few injuries ago also.

He was great yeah, but I think saying he 'strolled' it is a stretch. To me that signifies that a player is just way above their current level - a real 'f**k it, I'll do it myself'-type situation. There were a few others in the promotion season that looked great too, and I feel like Cuddihy needs to be playing in a good team for him to really shine. Unfortunately he's either been injured or playing with absolute drech ever since.

I do wonder if he'll be used at right back again this season. Hynes is naturally a right-back but seems to be preferred in midfield, and Cuddihy is obviously a much better right-back than Ross Lyon but if we're going with the 4-2-3-1 again he's probably going to end up playing in the 2 with either Grant (if fit), Hynes or Scullion.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Obviously at the moment we know absolutely nothing about anything other than how players have previously been set out, but this is probably our strongest line-up out of the players currently signed (excl. Grant who hasn't signed yet).

Leighfield

Hynes     Sula     P.Grant    Craig

Cuddihy    Carswell

Forbes      Scullion     Cameron

Rennie

Realistically though, I've just used Scullion and Cameron to fill some holes. Cameron shouldn't be anywhere near the professional leagues. Scullion I like, but he should play as the 'mover abooter' (as my old gaffer used to call it) role in the midfield 2 alongside a Carswell who can be the one who sits and breaks up play. Hynes I'm just not sold on but we never really seen him play in his actual position. While I think Martin Rennie will probably be ok at L2 level, we obviously need another forward (preferably as a starter but I'm not sure about the chances of us securing one at this stage). We desperately need a number 10 of any description. Whole package desirable obviously, but realistically we need someone who can fill the gap, drop in to midfield and receive the ball but also get close to the centre forward. We also need another wide midfielder. If Forbes plays on the right, he won't be moving, so we need someone more dynamic on the left. The Giggs to Forbes' Beckham if you'll allow me to compare.

Leighfield

Cuddihy     Sula     P.Grant    Craig

Scullion    Carswell

Forbes            ?                    ?

Rennie

I think if we fill the two glaring holes in that starting line-up, it's not the worst L2 team I've ever seen. However I don't have any confidence in those holes being filled.

Craig Brown died this morning!

Some won't agree but I thought he was one of the most under-appreciated managers we have ever had.

Edited by Walk Glasgow
Added comment

Just now, Walk Glasgow said:

Craig Brown died this morning!

Strangely enough he just popped into my head over the weekend.  Was thinking he must be a fair age now and that I hadnt heard anything about him for a while.

RIP Craig - worked tirelessly for the Bully Wee when with us and was good to see that he moved onwards and upwards when he left us as despite the "Brown must Go" shouts from the Shawfield terraces I think he did all you could have expected with what he had at his disposal.

Will go down as a Clyde legend.