Clyde Season 23/24

Interesting that people are saying the don’t want Kennedy.  I would ask who do they realistically expect us to appoint? 
I’m not saying Kennedy would be a guarantee of success, but he seems to me to be as impressive as any of the realistic targets we have.  
We are sitting 9th in L2 and although we have money to spend, we aren’t an attractive prospect to any potential manager.  
Personally I would be  happy if Kennedy was being considered as an up and coming manager. More than anything I’m glad the board are looking outside suspects like Yogi Hughes, Peter Grant etc

1 hour ago, Captain Sham said:

Interesting that people are saying the don’t want Kennedy.  I would ask who do they realistically expect us to appoint? 
I’m not saying Kennedy would be a guarantee of success, but he seems to me to be as impressive as any of the realistic targets we have.  
We are sitting 9th in L2 and although we have money to spend, we aren’t an attractive prospect to any potential manager.  
Personally I would be  happy if Kennedy was being considered as an up and coming manager. More than anything I’m glad the board are looking outside suspects like Yogi Hughes, Peter Grant etc

He failed to get Darvel promoted from the WoS league despite signing guys from levels above on crazy money.

They are signing a new player every week at EK and still managed to get done 7-0 off Tranent in the cup.

The guy is an absolute fraud. As someone pointed out it reeks of Barry Ferguson, chucking money about to boost his own ego and cover his deficiencies as a manger.

Plus both him and Simon ferry are loathsome, arrogant p***ks.

Whilst I agree it’s refreshing to see us looking outside of the usual dinosaurs MK is a massive no for me.

1 hour ago, Captain Sham said:

Exactly, I mean who are the alternatives?

McCall… huge gamble done nothing anywhere other than Thistle. Absolutely one of yesterdays men

McInally… did ok but also had relatively big budget again see above.

McIntyre… never managed at part time level, which is a totally different beast to full time. Also I’m sure would demand high salary.

Others mentioned previously like Jack Ross and now Scott Brown is just so unrealistic it’s laughable, like they would even consider us as an option.

Who else is there that would be possibly attracted to us at the moment. I think someone like Kennedy although not everyone’s cup of tea would at least get the club and more importantly motivated again. In saying all that it’s Daily Record speculation and therefore most likely utter nonsense. End of the day is still improvement of what we have and certainly on Duffy and Brian McLean.

8 hours ago, Captain Sham said:

What the f**k has been impressive about Kennedy? Spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on a "long term project" that he ditched after a couple of years after failing to win the Lowland League? Embarrassing himself on live television calling his players "soldiers of love"? His continued arguing with people who criticise him on social media? His shit chicken shop?

The guy is a fucking fraud and it's only the dubious amounts of cash he brings with him that has him in a job, if he wasn't minted he'd be nowhere near Scottish football. I'd want him or Si Ferry absolutely nowhere near my team, a complete circus.

There has been some absolute nonsense online between Kennedy and the now Darvel management team. As said above, without ploughing stupid amounts of money into it he wouldn’t be near Scottish football. 

The article mentions people at two other SPFL clubs, can anyone tell me the last manager we appointed who was still in a job at another club?

27 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

There has been some absolute nonsense online between Kennedy and the now Darvel management team. As said above, without ploughing stupid amounts of money into it he wouldn’t be near Scottish football. 

The article mentions people at two other SPFL clubs, can anyone tell me the last manager we appointed who was still in a job at another club?

I wonder if Peter Murphy is one of them given our history of taking on Annan employees

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

What the f**k has been impressive about Kennedy? Spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on a "long term project" that he ditched after a couple of years after failing to win the Lowland League? Embarrassing himself on live television calling his players "soldiers of love"? His continued arguing with people who criticise him on social media? His shit chicken shop?

The guy is a fucking fraud and it's only the dubious amounts of cash he brings with him that has him in a job, if he wasn't minted he'd be nowhere near Scottish football. I'd want him or Si Ferry absolutely nowhere near my team, a complete circus.

I’ll accept that “impressive” was probably the wrong choice of word on my part.  I would say his record the last few years has been much more impressive than any Clyde manager, especially in cup competitions, but I accept he didn’t win promotion at Darvel (although he was beaten by an impressive Tranent side).  The point I was trying to make is that Kennedy is as good an option as we are likely to attract.  You mention him spending money at Darvel and EK.  Would you have been confident getting a result against Darvel or EK in the cup the last few years? The only saving Grace with us at present is having money to spend.  Kennedy’s recruitment in recent years  would be a vast improvement on that of Lennon or Duffy.  

His “soldier of love” comment was stupid but he’s hardly the first nor last manager to make a stupid comment on TV.  Remember Danny Lennon and his kids on an island nonsense? 

The reality of the situation is that we are 9th in L2, with no ground.  Very few managers would take us on, especially those in jobs.  I’m not saying Kennedy would be a success but 
His EK team are top of LL and look to have a good chance at promotion this season.  He would stand more of a chance of being a success than some “experienced” SPFL managers.  

It wasn’t long ago people were suggesting Moffat from Clydebank as an option for manager.  Why would he be better than Kennedy?  I’m not saying I want Kennedy in the job but for the lack of any realistic alternative, I can’t see any better options in our market.  

4 minutes ago, Captain Sham said:

Very few managers would take us on, especially those in jobs.  

I think there'll be plenty of managers wanting the Clyde job.

We're at a low ebb. We have money to spend. In theory, the only way is up. 

That's a pretty good position to be in as a new manager looking to enhance your reputation and go on to bigger and better.

Kennedy buys any success he has but under achieves.

No thanks

13 minutes ago, Captain Sham said:

I’ll accept that “impressive” was probably the wrong choice of word on my part.  I would say his record the last few years has been much more impressive than any Clyde manager, especially in cup competitions, but I accept he didn’t win promotion at Darvel (although he was beaten by an impressive Tranent side).  The point I was trying to make is that Kennedy is as good an option as we are likely to attract.  You mention him spending money at Darvel and EK.  Would you have been confident getting a result against Darvel or EK in the cup the last few years? The only saving Grace with us at present is having money to spend.  Kennedy’s recruitment in recent years  would be a vast improvement on that of Lennon or Duffy.  

His “soldier of love” comment was stupid but he’s hardly the first nor last manager to make a stupid comment on TV.  Remember Danny Lennon and his kids on an island nonsense? 

The reality of the situation is that we are 9th in L2, with no ground.  Very few managers would take us on, especially those in jobs.  I’m not saying Kennedy would be a success but 
His EK team are top of LL and look to have a good chance at promotion this season.  He would stand more of a chance of being a success than some “experienced” SPFL managers.  

It wasn’t long ago people were suggesting Moffat from Clydebank as an option for manager.  Why would he be better than Kennedy?  I’m not saying I want Kennedy in the job but for the lack of any realistic alternative, I can’t see any better options in our market.  

He's living off that Aberdeen game and nothing else. The squad he had at Darvel should've pissed their league and the play offs but he's left Darvel in an absolute mess and they look to be struggling financially. Would I have been confident beating Darvel? Probably not because their budget dwarved ours and I'm not confident in our own manager but not because I thought Mick Kennedy was some sort of tactical genius. 

Moffat has been involved in football his whole career, he's building a decent side at Clydebank and I understand why folk might look to him, not that i think he's the answer tbh. Mick Kennedy made a fortune "somewhere, somehow" and has left two of his previous clubs in disarray (I think the first amateur team he was with folded after he left to go to Darvel due to the financial mess he left behind him). If a jumped up ned who has bought his way into football is the best Clyde (who apparently have a super duper budget of their own) can do then you guys are in big bother. 

The rumour in the junior leagues when Kennedy started putting money into Darvel was they were offering 10k sign on fee and 300-500 a week, simply no other part time club matching that. He must’ve ploughed 6 figures into them and left them in the lurch where they are now releasing players. 

End of the day I’ll trust Maitland to make appointment, nothing we can do about it. Basically need someone to attract players in January and not wast the budget we have like others have in the past or like Duffy who wouldn’t spend money. 

Speaking purely personally, if Faz was to leave us and the options were Mick Kennedy or Gordon Moffat then I'd be going for Moffat every day of the week. Being the manager of a money club doesn't often translate into having success at an ordinary level. Just as you can't read too much into what Barry Ferguson did at Kelty or what Paul Hartley did (first time) at Cove.

I'd also be really alarmed by the turnover of players at EK. João Balde (another guy far too good for that level) is something like their 26th signing this season. When they have a bad result they tend to just add a few players. And it was the same at Darvel. Kennedy has never had to work in a transfer window.

4 minutes ago, SReplay said:

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t say Kennedy is below adding a bit of gloss to a story in order to manufacture himself a bit of publicity.

If the speeches pre Aberdeen and Falkirk games proved anything, is that he’ll do anything to be in the limelight. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Speaking purely personally, if Faz was to leave us and the options were Mick Kennedy or Gordon Moffat then I'd be going for Moffat every day of the week. Being the manager of a money club doesn't often translate into having success at an ordinary level. Just as you can't read too much into what Barry Ferguson did at Kelty or what Paul Hartley did (first time) at Cove.

I'd also be really alarmed by the turnover of players at EK. João Balde (another guy far too good for that level) is something like their 26th signing this season. When they have a bad result they tend to just add a few players. And it was the same at Darvel. Kennedy has never had to work in a transfer window.

You've summed it up perfectly.

Do we really want to throw our club cash around and hope that by some chance we unearth a decent player?

How much money does Kennedy waste? 

It would be playing the lottery with our Benefactor's cash. If I was him, I certainly wouldn't be happy with such fiscal looseness with my cash

Screenshot_2023-11-04-13-07-05-63_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg