Clyde Season 23/24

Missing out on virtually all of your targets is absolutely fine if you haven't led up to the window and started it with cocksure statements about the numbers you will bring in. At no point was it "we will try to", "we will do our best", "if we're lucky". If expectations were tempered whatsoever by Maitland or McCall then what's currently happening would be nothing more than unfortunate, but their strategy has clearly been sub-optimal to say the least. As I said before, we'll just have to hope they had plenty of contingency options beneath the misplaced confidence.

I seem to recall the previous transfer window seeing us miss out on a prolific striker from the Juniors (I think?) due to the board believing the asking price was too high and that the player's club were taking advantage of the "mystery benefactor" situation. 

I just hope they're not taking the same line in this transfer window. If a club are asking over the odds for a player it's unfortunate but we're not really in a position to walk away at this stage. It's do or die so get a few players signed now FFS - overpriced or not! 

Edited by RutherGlen

1 minute ago, RutherGlen said:

I seem to recall the previous transfer window seeing us miss out on a prolific striker from the Juniors (I think?) due to the board believing the asking price was too high and that the player's club were taking advantage of the "mystery benefactor" situation. 

I just hope they're not taking the same line in this transfer window. If a club are asking over the odds for a player it's unfortunate but we're not really in a position to walk away at this stage. It's do or die so get a few players signed now FFS - overpriced or not! 

There are a limited number of loans allowed and presumably very few free agents available (we should have gone in heavier on Edinburgh castoffs). The obvious way to strengthen is through transfer fees, which will no doubt end up bloated. We just need to suck that up at this stage and pay over the odds. It can be reined back in the summer.

If the club had been managed properly then there wouldn't be a need to panic.

Almost as if all of the Billy Big Bollocks talk was a little optimistic for a team sitting at the bottom of the league 🤔

This very question about how hard it is to get players in January was raised and pretty much dismissed at the Q&A but here we are and funnily enough, other teams also like to sign players in January too…

Getting King back should at least be a start to the conversation and then go from there because the squad now - despite improved performances - will still be sending us in one direction.

23 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Scott Williamson being recalled to Queen’s Park would be a good striker to get in. 

Absolutely, he’s lightning quick and a decent finisher. He’d be very good for us (probably). Which means we probably won’t get him in.

I’ve swiftly went from excitement to apathy in this window though. I still fancy McCall to keep us up, but they’ve absolutely fucked it with all the big talk. 

23 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Absolutely, he’s lightning quick and a decent finisher. He’d be very good for us (probably). Which means we probably won’t get him in.

I’ve swiftly went from excitement to apathy in this window though. I still fancy McCall to keep us up, but they’ve absolutely fucked it with all the big talk. 

A player can’t go out on loan to 2 different teams in the same season 

The lack of more signings is definitely concerning though it'll be another week before I'm seriously worried by it. 

I think it's clear McCall and Maitland didn't realise just how hard it us to convince players to come to the bottom of League 2, especially in January. 

The worst thing is that if we hadn't lucked into Hamilton & Leitch through Edinburgh's dire situation then we've really only made one true signing.

8 minutes ago, Granty1903 said:

A player can’t go out on loan to 2 different teams in the same season 

Yes they can. We've literally just signed Gallagher Lennon who was on loan at Linlithgow. The rule is you can't play for more than 2 clubs in one season, so if yer boy hasn't played for QP he can still go out on loan. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yes they can. We've literally just signed Gallagher Lennon who was on loan at Linlithgow. The rule is you can't play for more than 2 clubs in one season, so if yer boy hasn't played for QP he can still go out on loan. 

Was going to say the same as this was my understanding, Mika Biereth at Motherwell has been recalled to go to Sheffield Wednesday and Owen Beck from Dundee to go elsewhere. 

At least they didn’t patronise us with a ✍️ and a 45 minute wait to announce the Kian Leslie news. 

I submitted a question on the owners forum requesting an update. Perhaps a bit premature with just shy of 2 weeks remaining of the window but the expectation vs reality so far has been thoroughly depressing. I’ll hopefully get an answer before next January’s window. 

I'd rather have Leslie than not, so it's positive news in that regard I suppose and we should get more from him in the second half of the campaign. If I hear him described as a new player in the vein of Cuddihy and Grant, though, then it could well serve as my joker moment.

It looks like Zanatta and Duffy have been big targets for us and we have missed out.  I’d imagine after this round of Scottish Cup fixtures when teams know a wee bit better their financial prospects and squad sizes needed we could maybe see some movement. 

Another thing to consider is that a lot of teams might be keeping cards close to their chest until the window ends. A team won’t let go of a 3rd or 4th choice striker until they know they are replaced in January. 

I agree that the talk has been very robust in that we are definitely getting in 7 or 8 bodies and I feel like that is in response to previous poor recruitment, trying to acknowledge mistakes and appear that with Maitland and McCall we have strong football men leading the club. It may prove to be very foolhardy in the end.

The panic button has been primed but not pressed yet

Edited by Ocelot1877