Clyde Season 23/24

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

He's still speaking if you ignore him. He can still say whatever stupid shit he wants, it's just that we have the benefit of not having to pay attention to him.

You don't need to pay attention to me but its clear you have accepted all that has gone on over the past 2 years. All i did was point it out and we have gone beyond the point of no return. I did flag it up.

57 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

We have 8 points to make up - so we need to win at the very least 3 more games than Stranraer do in the final 14 games of the season to finish 9th. I think that's fairly doable with the squad we currently have. We absolutely have to beat Stranraer on Saturday though. If not, it's curtains. If we *do* win on Saturday, it's down to 5 points to make up in 13 games which to me is more than doable imho.

Providing we get the win on Saturday, I won't be counting us out. The current squad is (on paper, technically) the most talented group of players we've had at the club in years.

At the end of the day we have to play Stranraer twice.  Beat them in both and that it down to 2 points which I expect we would make up.  Only slight problem is....................................we have to beat them in both games.  Nothing less will do.

Thought as a back up we also still have Elgin and Forfar to play twice.  Again if beat either of them in both games and brings each of them back to within 3 points.  Again if do that then think would make up 3 points on both of them.

Suppose what I am saying is that we have to beat either Stranraer, Elgin and  Forfar both home and away in the 2 games we have to play each of them.

If you look at even up to EF who are 10 points ahead but we have a game in hand over them.  Win the game in hand then thats then back to 7.

We have eight games to play against Stranraer, Elgin, Forfar, East fife and Bonnyrigg.  We really need to be looking to win 6 of these and we will be back in it.

However caveat is that we havent won a game away from home since QotS in the first game of LAST season.

Other point is that positions 2 to 4 are between 9 and 15 points ahead of Bonnyrigg in fifth, so how much will they be putting in games if play off position secure.

We both play Stenny and Dumbarton in 4th and 3rd last games of the season.  Stenny might have the league won by then and Dumbarton might be safe in playoff place.

Yeah, know clutching at straws but it not all over yet.

44 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Yeah, know clutching at straws but it not all over yet.

I totally agree with you. The squad now is a completely different proposition than it was two months ago and (again, on paper) perfectly capable of winning the required number of games.

We shall see however. Games a bogey if we don't get a big result this coming weekend.

33 minutes ago, Replays said:

Sounds like we should have a goalkeeper in before Saturday and McCall seems to be toying with putting Cuddihy to right-back.

It's got to be Scott Fox doesn't it? Surely for such an important position, McCall will be going for a known quantity.

Aside from him, I can't think of who else it would be. Jamie MacDonald and David Mitchell are under contract/injured/both.

There was a rather spurious rumour from a Morton fan a few days ago that MacDonald had left them just before the window ended, but it'd be pretty bizarre if that was true and they hadn't announced it by now. Parry did do quite well on Saturday but it is obviously still imperative that we upgrade in that position; he won't magically have improved from last season at his ripe old age. Still makes me laugh thinking about the fact he was released only to sign on again a couple of weeks later.

39 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

It's got to be Scott Fox doesn't it? Surely for such an important position, McCall will be going for a known quantity..

Speaking to Allan Maitland on Saturday, he expects a goalie in some time this week. Mitchell was one of his targets but with him being injured it was a no no and is looking for someone with experience and ready to go, probably not worth the risk of bringing in a youngster to fill a key  position with so much at stake.

Edited by Pride Of The Clyde

Seeing a lot of Clyde fans saying we should never have left Broadwood. Sure we could have called NLL/NLC or whoever's bluff about the DGW thing and told them to ram their threats but what would the eventual outcome have been? Still not having the lease renewed a year later anyway? A place we were threatened with eviction from for years, a place that we complained was too big, that the rent was too much, that the local community never fully backed the club, a landlord getting involved and interfering in what players we sign, a place we had even considered changing the name of the club to just get out of. We had a play off final punted out for fucking stunt bikes. Had enquired with every junior club under the sun as an alternative. Hamilton certainly is not the answer but Broadwood is definitely not the solution either.

Edited by Clinically Proven

There’s no doubt we absolutely have to win on Saturday, Forfar away to Dumbarton and Elgin at Spartans. If results go our way we could pull them back to within 5 and 6 points. 

We then need to take 4 points minimum from Dumbarton and Forfar at home. Elgin have stenny, Forfar have Peterhead and Stranraer have Spartans all at home next week. If we can do that we’d be within touching distance. 

It’s clearly a big ask of a team who’ve won 2 all year, but we’ve been close a few times lately and need to just be a bit more clinical and a bit smarter in how we see games out. 

My head says we can get out of this based on our current squad and games remaining - providing obviously we turn good performances into good results. That being the case there is no need to get fixated on what other teams are doing. Accordingly our past away form is irrelevant to the new squad and at this level we aren't exactly going to be intimidated by raucous home crowds.

Against that of course there is the psychological aspect which does mean we really do need a result at Stranraer - not just for ourselves but to remind every other side that we are up for the fight.  If we even half the deficit over the next month not only will we have every chance of clawing our way to safety but if we do finish bottom we will still fancy our chances more whoever we face in a playoff.

But when all's said, it's what we do in every game, not just the other badly placed sides.

4 hours ago, Clinically Proven said:

Seeing a lot of Clyde fans saying we should never have left Broadwood. Sure we could have called NLL/NLC or whoever's bluff about the DGW thing and told them to ram their threats but what would the eventual outcome have been? Still not having the lease renewed a year later anyway? A place we were threatened with eviction from for years, a place that we complained was too big, that the rent was too much, that the local community never fully backed the club, a landlord getting involved and interfering in what players we sign, a place we had even considered changing the name of the club to just get out of. We had a play off final punted out for fucking stunt bikes. Had enquired with every junior club under the sun as an alternative. Hamilton certainly is not the answer but Broadwood is definitely not the solution either.

We were threatened with eviction for not paying the rent, it’s not like they decided just to be dicks for the sake of it. The description of the landlord interfering with signings is a bit off too, they jumped on the bandwagon sure, but trying to bring Goodwillie back after the way the story exploded was madness. We basically alienated ourselves from the landlords by being shite tenants over an extended period.

The stadium was too big for our needs but the facilities were very good and a factor in attracting players to the club according to Danny Lennon. I believe we had negotiated the rent down to a reasonable level, especially when you consider maintenance costs etc of a facility like that. We were basically only granted access on match days but this was part of a reduced rent. I can’t see the benefit of them not renewing our lease, especially as the broomhill stay was a flash in the pan.

As for the local community comment, there was always going to be loads of old firm fans in Cumbernauld but the potential was there. How much of a concerted effort did the club make in local schools with free tickets etc. Some initially but not much for the majority of our stay in my experience. Could have easily had a sign up on the roundabout with our upcoming fixtures similar to what Falkirk have but our attitude seemed to be that folk would just turn up, then it changed to constant hinting about leaving. Despite this I would estimate at least half of our fan base were based in the surrounding areas of Cumbernauld, Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch. Some of which no longer attend as often at Hamilton.

It wasn’t an ideal scenario at Broadwood but in short a lot of that was our own doing. I don’t have massive faith that we won’t repeat a lot of the same mistakes if/when we land a new place. 

I totally missed that the manager was Gormley, that’s like a Ghost of Clyde Past pic if ever I’ve seen one. Although I didn’t mind Gormley during his time with the club, one of the better players IIRC.

4 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

I totally missed that the manager was Gormley, that’s like a Ghost of Clyde Past pic if ever I’ve seen one. Although I didn’t mind Gormley during his time with the club, one of the better players IIRC.

One of my few claims to fame in life was that I gave him his start in football, his Dad was a fellow Boys Brigade Officer and i ran the team. We had a fives tournament at The Kelvin Hall and one of our lads took a sore one, young Davie was there along with his Dad (he was three years younger than the majority of lads playing) and I got him on the pitch, he scored with his first shot!!! 

Edited by Uncle Albert

43 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I seem to remember him really struggling at first and then randomly scoring four goals in one game against Berwick. He was also superb in the cup run we had which culminated in him scoring in both legs of the Ayr United tie (the Connor Quinn Experience).

*Edit* Having checked - he scored 8 league goals in his first season, 4 of which were indeed in one game. A real 90 minute purple patch!

Edited by Brian Carrigan

I'm not convinced he was fully fit at any point. At his best he was almost unplayable but he just wasn't at that level enough.

I do know that a current Championship defender absolutely hated playing against him.