Clyde Season 23/24

We were 4 points behind at the end of January and now find ourselves 5 points behind despite winning 3 out of the last 4 games. We will probably need to pick up around 12-15 points from the last quarter which seems a tall order. 

As much as Elgin are second bottom just now would think Bonnyrigg are the ones to catch too. Elgin are at home against Bonnyrigg on Saturday so something has to give there. 

Our next 3 games should decided it Forfar, Bonnyrigg then Stranraer. We definitely need to win the last two. 

19 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

We were 4 points behind at the end of January and now find ourselves 5 points behind despite winning 3 out of the last 4 games. We will probably need to pick up around 12-15 points from the last quarter which seems a tall order. 

As much as Elgin are second bottom just now would think Bonnyrigg are the ones to catch too. Elgin are at home against Bonnyrigg on Saturday so something has to give there. 

Our next 3 games should decided it Forfar, Bonnyrigg then Stranraer. We definitely need to win the last two. 

Next stop the lowland league minus Gordon Thomson thank fek. To be fair the club have came out fighting but as sad as it is its to late.

I said in the Forfar v Clyde thread that, I think we always knew that it is what we did, in terms of winning games, and not relying on other teams loosing that would keep us up. 

7 hours ago, JIMMY CHOO said:

Next stop the lowland league minus Gordon Thomson thank fek. To be fair the club have came out fighting but as sad as it is its to late.

We are going to stay up and win the league. Gordon Thomson gets voted chairman of the year and the ozone starts to repair itself and Scotland win the world cup. Can someone give me a like please please please or will i just continue to talk shite and tell the truth.

In some instances football is unpredictable but, where least expected, it is mega predictable.

Stranraer were never going to lose to Dumbarton the other night; nor were Bonnyrigg going to lose their match (no matter how late they got their equalizer). There's no scientific evidence, it's just the natural order of things.

Other than the outside chance East Fife will catch Dumbarton to make the play offs there is nothing at stake for any of the top half clubs.  So when nothing-at-stake meets everything-at-stake you don't need a PHD to work out where the points are going.

In other words, Clyde need not only to win far more points than their league position suggests they are capable of but are also reliant on the other bottom half sides playing each other rather than the under-motivated top half sides.

Only a strong finish gives us any chance of avoiding the playoffs and I still fear the draw v Peterhead might be our nemesis.

11 hours ago, Walk Glasgow said:

In some instances football is unpredictable but, where least expected, it is mega predictable.

Stranraer were never going to lose to Dumbarton the other night; nor were Bonnyrigg going to lose their match (no matter how late they got their equalizer). There's no scientific evidence, it's just the natural order of things.

Other than the outside chance East Fife will catch Dumbarton to make the play offs there is nothing at stake for any of the top half clubs.  So when nothing-at-stake meets everything-at-stake you don't need a PHD to work out where the points are going.

In other words, Clyde need not only to win far more points than their league position suggests they are capable of but are also reliant on the other bottom half sides playing each other rather than the under-motivated top half sides.

Only a strong finish gives us any chance of avoiding the playoffs and I still fear the draw v Peterhead might be our nemesis.

Professor obvious here. All the bottom sides have strengthened their squads and the teams with nothing to play for have nothing at stake. Clyde will get relegated and of that i have no doubt.

The other bottom half sides will be odds on to win their home ties with the non-commited top half sides and no amount of platitudes from the latter group will change that outlook.

But if our bottle doesn't crash we still have outside chance. Must admit I don't feel confident about getting off the bottom but I do feel now that we will be favourites in the play-offs (again of course subject to us turning up).

Happy/Hoping to be proven wrong but I think our last league win on grass was 20 April 2021 (3-1 vs Forfar)?

Every away game we have between now and the end of season is on a grass pitch 😨

38 minutes ago, Clyde_MM said:

Happy/Hoping to be proven wrong but I think our last league win on grass was 20 April 2021 (3-1 vs Forfar)?

If our players can’t win a game of football on grass then we are truly fucked.

The only league games we had on grass last season were against Dunfermline [and Peterhead], so while it's a terrible stat, it's skewed a bit by that. My bigger concern is that the condition of the pitch will make next week's game a downright battle, in addition to it being hugely important; two types of games these players have amply proven that they struggle with. If fitness permits, Howie in for Lyon and Cuddihy in for Leitch would be the changes I'd make for this one, to try and get as much physicality in the team as possible.

Edit: donkey brains

Edited by the_bully_wee

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

The only league games we had on grass last season were against Dunfermline, so while it's a terrible stat, it's skewed a bit by that. 

Ahem 

Just now, the_bully_wee said:

Some would call it a blunder, but I would contest that the four contests between Clyde and Peterhead last year do not come under the category of 'football matches'.

Fair point 

1 hour ago, Clyde_MM said:

Forfar have had a plastic pitch for ages. I think it would have been a few weeks earlier against Peterhead. There's been a couple of cup wins since as well.

On another note, we'll probably be the first team relegated despite going a season unbeaten in our home kit.

52 minutes ago, David W said:

Forfar have had a plastic pitch for ages. I think it would have been a few weeks earlier against Peterhead. There's been a couple of cup wins since as well.

On another note, we'll probably be the first team relegated despite going a season unbeaten in our home kit.

Good point, cheers for correcting. Did go to Forfar once and enjoyed the trip. Game was pretty boring though, so boring I forgot what surface it was played on!

@the_bully_wee makes a good point I hadn't considered about last season too.

Still a worrying statistic but maybe not as bad as it would seem at first.

2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

My bigger concern is that the condition of the pitch will make next week's game a downright battle, in addition to it being hugely important; two types of games these players have amply proven that they struggle with.

This is my concern too. Bonnyrigg looked absolutely woeful when we played round them at Hamilton on Astro but I think the ploughed field pitch will suit them better than us. They may not be very mobile but they do have strong, battling players. We have some nice fair weather footballers but when it comes to getting stuck in and winning ugly I’m worried.

It’s absolutely win or bust territory now if we can somehow come away with a win I’d still fancy us to not finish 10th, anything less and we are done.