Clyde Season 23/24

I'd have kept Sula over Dunachie but with the latter already contracted I'm not surprised the former is moving on. He's been better than a fair few over the last two years so good luck to him.

No surprise about Young leaving, I hope he gets a decent gig where he's playing every week.

Conor Scullion will live on as an eternal reminder of Jim Duffy's negligence. I've never seen a player more scared to go in for a tackle.

Cameron shouldn't have been signed by Lennon, and should then only have been played as a ten. One of many who no doubt stand out in youth games and friendlies but just can't handle a full pace, full strength game.

Neil Parry gave us one great season, arguably only DGW had a bigger impact in keeping us in L1, but then disappointed last year. He should have left but I also reckon we would have been safe sooner had he, even with his considerable limitations, been in goals ahead of Leighfield this year.

I'm fascinated to see which of the others re-sign.

Sad to see Sula go. If he was just a bit less error prone he'd be a great player at this level and would compliment Hamilton's strengths nicely. Connor Young showed flashes too.

Neil Parry should be thanked for coming back out of retirement when last season was clearly one too far out of mercy to Jim Duffy, who it seemed knew Jack Leighfield and literally no other goalkeeper.

Scullion and Cameron just weren't cut out for this level but I do wish them the best elsewhere. Cameron in particular I think is a tidy enough player, just playing at a level so far above his abilities it has rendered him largely ineffective. Can't have been fun at the club the last two years so I hope he goes and enjoys his football elsewhere.

8 hours ago, Right turn Clyde said:

I would hope that already the decision on McCall staying has been reached and by that I mean I hope the budget to build a squad to win the league next year will have been set and his work starts immediately on his return from honeymoon. Some of the current squad are just that, squad players. New faces are required on 2 year deals to see us out of League 2 and challenging for promotion out of League 1 the following season. This season to season player recruitment has to stop and we need players to buy into the journey. After all, do we not have a benefactor providing money "the likes of which we have not seen before"?

This should allow for further ahead forward planning and I think this is what McCall will buy into, if his words in the PM interview in Elgin are any sort of measuring stick.

He basically said the Club is a mess, changes required all over the place....from Board to training and lots in between I should imagine. If he "shakes hands and leaves" I think questions will need to asked and quickly, as to why he left. Of course, if he does leave, the Club will spin the story to make them look blameless.....but already, if any of you have seen comms on the owners forum...the board seem a little rattled at the questioning of the Benefactor. Two directors engaging with owners who have had the cheek to question the benefactor and the sums of money involved and the fact he still requests anonymity.

We are instructed to be respectful and polite when referring to the benefactor, we are chastised and warned about conspiracy theories and threatened with posts being removed and even with being banned from the forum, or worse, refused being an owner, (how democratic is that?) just because as owners/fans we wish to discuss our thoughts on the situation at the Club and they don't align with the Board.

Fans owned Club? Utter tosh!

Wishing Allan Maitland all the very best.....I think he's got a tough time ahead if the Board as it is now,  the Board which took us into this fight for survival with ludicrous decisions over the past few years, does not self analyse and have the decency to realise they have systematically failed in their duties, and resign en masse.

An interesting summer ahead methinks.

Anyone donating any sum above a couple of thousand would be the likes of which we have never seen before.

With regard to his identity and the size of his donation - really none of my business if he is not trying to unduly influence the direction and strategy of the club to its detriment. I would prefer to thank him for his timely and positive contribution.

Conspiracy theories are just boring after a while.

If anyone has thoughts on any situation that significantly and materially differs from the Board, then they know what to do about it. 

They all should reflect on what they could have done better in the past few years - if they can't see or think of anything, then perhaps they should consider if they are best positioned to revitalise our performance as a club and look for another role within the club, because volunteers are always required somewhere.

32 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

We’d be doing well to get anyone from that united squad, Duffy probably end up back at Peterhead permanently. 

Yeah, as much as I'd love to see Logan Chalmers and Declan Glass going part-time and dropping three divisions, I can't see it happening.

3 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Sula being binned while Hynes gets an offer is a bit of a head scratcher, but it's hard to complain about anything else there. Just tell us now whether it's McCall or Maitland making these decisions...

I actually think Hynes is a decent player, but like Cudihay he can’t normally manage to string 4 games on the trot. Also one of the few signings, outside Hamilton of course, who actually likes a tackle. I think like Cudihay and  Grant he falls into the category of ok signing if he is on buttons

Well done to Walter McCall. I’ve been a Clyde fan for more than 60 years and I’ve seen many relegations/promotions over the years. I definitely thought this team was going down. Well done once more.

Hynes is a useful player as he has a bit of versatility which is handy in building a squad. He was initially billed as a RB but used more by us as a CDM where he was not bad. He took a while to recover from a bad injury last summer but with a full preseason under his belt will be decent enough I reckon.

Posted (edited)

Only one i may have kept was Sula who's performance away to Stenny (6-1) was simply outstanding considering their home record and he hadnt featured in weeks or months from memory....

Connor Young needs to realise hes no longer a Premier league player and his performance at home to Forfar midweek is up there with most un-interested in years , perhaps a player in there but we not for us to wait and find out..

The good and the bad indeed.

Edited by shawfield shed boy

6 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

FB_IMG_1715246605338.thumb.jpg.aed7b98d5a01aebd339d7dd2caecc052.jpg

I can't quite remember when Stevie Archibald had his second stint with the Bully Wee. Was he back for long or just a few appearances? 

Just a few appearances in 92.

Sidenote, what a gorgeous strip that is - the long sleeves and the grandad collar, good lord.

4 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Just a few appearances in 92.

Sidenote, what a gorgeous strip that is - the long sleeves and the grandad collar, good lord.

Nice and simple but instantly says Clyde. Interesting no shirt manufacturer on front of shirt. Was it Spall or Matchwinner maybe?

22 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Nice and simple but instantly says Clyde. Interesting no shirt manufacturer on front of shirt. Was it Spall or Matchwinner maybe?

Someone will know better than me, but I'm sure those shirts were made 'in house' with a Matchwinner chest applique being added for use over the next couple of seasons?

2 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Someone will know better than me, but I'm sure those shirts were made 'in house' with a Matchwinner chest applique being added for use over the next couple of seasons?

Makes sense.

I had to Google that word but now my word of the day 😂

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Makes sense.

I had to Google that word but now my word of the day 😂

Haha it's a good one! I used to work for a company that done football kits wholesale for teams so the word is seared into my brain.

22 hours ago, David W said:

I'd have kept Sula over Dunachie but with the latter already contracted I'm not surprised the former is moving on. He's been better than a fair few over the last two years so good luck to him.

A bit surprised you pick Sula over Dunachie. Dunachie was our best player by a country mile the first part of the season and has been forced to play out of position after the arrival of Hamilton and Howie. For me Sula could look classy at times but at other times my heart was in my mouth with him.